Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I have a few:

1. A digital copy of the magazine this Another Code: Two Memories ad is from:

I've had this hanging on my wall for over a decade now. if you couldn't tell by how beat up it is. As a kid, I'd visit my nan in England and always pick up copies of N64 (Later NGC) Magazine and later Nintendo Official Magazine UK. I thought it was brilliant how this page was printed upside-down to look like Blood Edward Island, revealing a skull when you flip it, and I immediately went to the local game store and bought a copy of Another Code: Two Memories (Trace Memory in the US, the inferior version :mad:). At some point I tore this out of the magazine in question, and it's a good thing I did because the magazines have long since been lost in a move. On the back of this page is half of a two-page ad for Medal Of Honor: European Assault. I thought this was in NGC (this would have been around July 2005) but none of the issues I looked at seemed to match up at all. I can't find any issues of NOMUK from that time period, either. I just want to see if there's an extremely-high-quality version of this ad out there and to figure out exactly what it's from.

2. A Team Rocket fan-site I would visit in the early-00s
My friends and I would often visit each other and just go hopping around the internet looking for stuff and at one point we found this Team Rocket fansite that contained downloadable clips from Pokemon. The site itself might have been named after Nyaasu No Party/Meowth's Party, because that's definitely how we found it. Yeah, we were those kids who thought we had hallucinated it and were digging up answers. Anyway, not only did the site contain the original Japanese Meowth's Party video and a translation of the lyrics, it also contained a video showing the time James's voice actor backmasked "4Kids Are The Devil" into a moment where James gets eaten by his Victreebell, as well as a few AMVs - specifically one I was able to find elsewhere, set to Sucks To Be You by Prozzak. Another thing I remember is that there was a fan-voice-skit called Making An Ash Of Himself that I've been able to find on Archive.org but I don't know if that was ever hosted on the site in question or if it was an affiliated site, because I remember the site I got it from looking different.

3. This movie I only vaguely remember:
Originally posted in the CD movie thread to no response. Starting to think I dreamed it up.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I don't know if this is what the movie was about in its entirety but I have this vague recollection of a film where a woman is hired on a construction site and keeps getting harassed at the workplace for being a woman. I think it was a serious film, and I only really remember there being a scene where she's in a porta-potty and they're messing with it somehow, possibly rocking it or threatening to tip it. None of my searches are pulling anything up. I think I saw this on an imdb page or maybe I caught some of it on TV? It would have been around 2010 that I heard about it but I think the movie's older than that.

4. Fissunix's entire song catalogue:
When I was in college, around 2013, there was a mashup artist on YouTube that made some really cool stuff. His name was Fissunix, and the ones I remember most are a really high-energy mashup of Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi and a few other songs that I don't recognize and one using Let There Be Rock by AC/DC (these both might be buried on one of my old iPods), and one I thankfully have saved called End Of The Walrus, a mashup of Tron: Legacy and I Am The Walrus. By Googling you can find some of his old stuff on various Soundcloud-esque knockoff sites, a handful on Internet Archive, etc. but his original site and channel that contained full liner notes for all his stuff is gone. Would love to recover all of it.

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Holy poo poo, you're both amazing!! I have no idea how I never stumbled upon that exact NGC issue in my search - I guess in my mind it was too late by then and it probably wasn't up last time I attempted a deep dive. And yeah, that's the movie - I found the scene on Youtube! Thank you both!!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Arivia posted:

Magazines often have their listed months be much later than the actual date they were in stores or published for, and I don't know why. It's definitely a thing that the "September" issue actually was early June.

That would explain it. I was usually only around for two weeks, and never in-between issues, but I guess this time I was in the country just in time for the switch since I definitely remember owning the issue prior.

The only discrepancy here is that it seems like the ad in this issue is on its own rather than on the back of the Medal of Honor: European Assault ad, but I would assume that's just missing scan pages or something.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Okay, last update, but it turns out, the specific version of the ad on my wall was in fact from NOM UK! Specifically, issue 155 from July 2005. I found it on archive.org.

https://archive.org/details/nom155/page/n3/mode/2up

Right there, complete with the two-page Medal of Honor: European Assault ad before it! I guess last time I did a deep dive it hadn't been archived.

The NGC scan had the ad in way better quality, though, so I still really appreciate the effort put into ripping that for me. The thing that's tripping me up is that, as mentioned, I would only be in the area for two weeks at a time and usually in June and July, and yet I obviously owned this issue, but also owned the September 2005 NGC and the previous month's issue, and yet for NOM I had July 2005 and September 2005 (I remember the article about the "Revolution" from that issue clearly) and yet no August. If I had to guess, being a kid with only a certain amount of pocket money, I was there in a timeframe where I could pick up the July issue of NOM that was still on the shelf and the newer August issue of NGC, and by the time I was leaving the September issues were at the airport or something... Either way, that's my search for that done.

Thanks again, all!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pasketti posted:

Do you think it was TRsRockin.com? https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TRsRockin
I spent a lot of time on this site back in the day, but more for the glitch pages and because it was where I found out about cosplay for the first time.

Definitely not; I might have found TRsRockin through this other site, because I was a regular on there back in the day too. I even had a few (extremely exaggerated) glitch stories posted there. It was such a great website but this other one was very much focused on video clips and had a totally different design.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

HOLY poo poo IT ABSOLUTELY IS

The name is so simple and yet it's all coming back to me. I remember the clip categories, the specific "Shippy Clips" section because it was the first time I had heard the term, and more. I wish it was more complete but this is enough. Thank you so, so much.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Back again because I just remembered a mystery that has perplexed me. It's not so much finding something half-remembered as it is identifying something obscure.

In high school I stumbled upon the Newgrounds Audio Portal and ended up with some random music downloaded that I really dug. One of the songs that I really fell in love with was this trance song called Where You From..., which I've uploaded for your listening pleasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9FiWGy3-t8

I can't find the original page this song is from, though luckily I was pretty anal about metadata in high school so I found the artist's Reverbnation page, but what I really want to find out is where the vocals in this song are from. It feels like I should know, because the voices and dialogue sound so familiar, but no matter how much I try and Google the words in the song it doesn't seem to match any movies that come up. Does anyone know what it's from?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Zathril posted:

Easy Rider

The original page, since deleted it looks like.

Thank you so, so much! I knew it sounded familiar and from that era, so I must have seen clips! My mind kept going to James Dean but I watched Rebel Without A Cause recently and it wasn't that. drat, now I'm gonna have to go watch Easy Rider. Thanks for going above and beyond and finding the original page, too!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sherbert Hoover posted:

2) A paintball place in a forest where someone is using live rounds and they have to be stopped.

Hello, post from 2022. I come from the future.

Is it Masterblaster (1987)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvIvVvAQ-I

I know of it through this incredible book of UK VHS Box scans that has been a goldmine in helping me find alternate titles for films and some truly awesome trash.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I return with something I forgot I was actually looking for until I realized I had never found the answer. Another mystery from my high school iPod!

So, back in 2008-2009 I downloaded a simfile (Stepmania note chart, basically) from FlashFlashRevolution. It was labeled as a Daft Punk song, called "High Tech". Even in high school I could tell this absolutely wasn't a Daft Punk song, not least of which because I was a massive fan of the band and had all their albums. I stuck it on my iPod nonetheless, and it stayed with me through various backups all the way to the modern day, where I'm once again backing up my iPod library. I ran an audio match, and it claims that it's a song by "Sova Juvy" called "Planet Funk"...but the album it claims to be from is from 2021. There's even a comment on the YouTube video for that song of someone asking who the real creator is, with a comment suggesting FJ Fistfunk. There's another match earlier on in the song from someone who is a Soundcloud artist with five followers (Luca Bossez - Space Techno OGs) and I don't think it's that either, but I can't find evidence of that song to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiC2xR8Et5c

So, I uploaded it and I give it to this thread. What is the reality behind this mystery song? And yes, I checked the file details, and it's just labeled as "High Tech" by "Daft Punk".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

This sounds a little ridiculous but could it be The City Skyscape?

It's an album that was a white whale for a friend of mine that we recently got a copy of. He had the first track saved for years and the big Myspace crash erased the rest of the album from the internet. Neither of us are sure what year it's from. I have the digital tracks on my USB drive at home, and even if it isn't this I should probably get to uploading it.

The timeframe may not match up though, because "Myspace" makes me think 2008 but you mentioned a monochrome cityscape, and it's a one-man singer-songwriter album, so...maybe?