Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

spookykid posted:

any info on the location of the photo? US? Canada? UK? AUS?

e: The edges of the pages are already acid-yellowed, hmm

That looks like a bar code on the back cover and they didn't start adding those to books until the mid-70s, so it's not as old as the yellowing might indicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I don't think it is two books. For one, the "second book" on the right is too thin, even for an older book, and for the other it's got a really thin right edge bulking out in the middle as you move left and curving upwards towards the far left end, which is exactly what a set of pages would do if they were being torqued all to hell at the spine by the kind of literally Hitler that treats their books that way.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Basically not opening it all the way to the spine, so it doesn't have the chance to crack; works for any book with a half-decent gutter. I never practised it; I just always read like that and I remember finding it really weird the first time I saw someone spreading a paperback with both hands like they were opening a ribcage.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 27, 2021

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

wa27 posted:

It does seem like a better photo/scan of the polaroid would possibly reveal the title. There's some artifacting making it tricky.

Yeah, any chance of a better scan or even the current one with less jpg artifacts or whatever?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

fritz posted:

ISFDB has front covers, I don't know if they have back covers.

But I got the bit in my teeth so I downloaded their db, found all novels published between 01JAN1970 and 31DEC1989 in English, and looked for ones with two words in the title, first word 7 or 8 characters, second word 4 or 5 characters.

There were 299 hits:

Some of those are clearly not it but you never know.

This is really cool, but the impression I had was that the title was one word and the smaller text directly underneath was the author's name. I assume it's title/author rather than author/title because if it was a big enough name I assume someone would have recognized it by now, but that's a guess.

I cut out everything but the book and applied a bit of contrast, which helps a touch. The artifacting is really hurting this though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

fritz posted:

ISFDB has front covers, I don't know if they have back covers.

But I got the bit in my teeth so I downloaded their db, found all novels published between 01JAN1970 and 31DEC1989 in English, and looked for ones with two words in the title, first word 7 or 8 characters, second word 4 or 5 characters.

I don't suppose you could try it with either one or two words, up the lower boundary from 1970 to 1973, and limit it to books published by Ace or Bantam, could you?

Xotl fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 28, 2021

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
loving awesome. Nice work all!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

hexwren posted:

• A game book, published before 1994. Your standard sort of dungeon crawler. I don't recall the title, obviously enough, or much of the actual game mechanics, though there were mechanics. The setting was some kind of harbor town where unpleasant things were happening. You could pick up a wine bottle fairly early on in your adventure. If you drank from it, you died, because it had turned to vinegar. I want to say there were unpleasant humanoid seaweed monsters about. The winning path definitely led through the sewers.

I'm pretty sure this isn't any of the Fighting Fantasy books. I can't say for 100% certain since I don't know the later ones as well, but I've read them all and still have them upstairs and this isn't ringing any bells. There is one volume I recall with some sewer adventuring: Khare: Cityport of Traps. If it's not that one, I'd suggest trying various other game lines before digging into FF too much.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
A short film (IIRC black and white, and Soviet, maybe Russian) about the Great Terror.

The protagonist is trying to show that the accusations against people are false, even absurd, but Soviet bureaucracy and alarmism are making it very difficult. At the end he eventually succeeds in getting across that the "proof" is all ridiculous. However, the seemingly hopeful public revelation that people are making absurd charges and getting people killed is twisted in the end: the people making the charges are making a mockery of the Soviet legal system and thus undermining the state, and so more purges are required.

It's not long, but it was quite compelling.

Xotl fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Yes, that's it! I'll never forget that end scene. Thank you very much!

Now to find a place where I can buy a decent-quality copy.