Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
A DOS game that was called "JEEP" on the family computer.

It was like a 3/4 iso view (paperboy style), red(?) and black for colors, and you drove a jeep over mud and tree stumps and crap. The PC speaker engine noise was grungy as hell, can't remember much else about it though.

I've searched google to no avail, checked out abandonware sites, just seems like this game doesn't exist online.

Was likely something from a shareware floppy.

I've been plagued by this since like 1994 when we got rid of that computer, and want to know who made it/what it was called so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

A prerendered (?) PC game that was on a PC Gamer demo disc sometime from Apr 1997 to July 2002.

Was a robot dog point and click (iirc) adventure game, I thiiiiink you were a dog detective? Art style couldve been from Grim Fandango to Septerra Core, don't have clear enough memories to be sure.

I remember being in a junkyard, dark and gloomy?

All my searching picks up the Dogz and Catz series, not even close though.

I do have all the demo discs from that period, spent a few hours going through them, but no luck.

On that note, I should probably rip all the old discs for the Coconut Monkey stuff and weird demos that never made it to full games.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

curlingiron posted:

Any chance it was Sam and Max: Freelance Police? The game was never actually released, but looking at some of the stills here, there was an environment similar to what you described, and PC Gamer did a feature on it in that timeframe.

I'm not sure... some of the environments there look surprisingly like my memories, but I thought what I saw was a playable demo. I'd originally ruled out Sam & Max due to the 2D style, but now I'm wondering if I just saw some trailer on a PC Gamer demo disc and my memory confused it.

This gives me some years to look at though, maybe I can actually track it down now!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

My roommate reminded me of one I'd forgotten about.

Must've been 10-15 years ago, a music video(?) of a dude in a shirt and tie yelling "I GOTTA TAKE A poo poo" while banging on an occupied bathroom door. There were other lyrics, but I can't remember them.

Iirc there was a "story" of sorts, something about needing to make it to a bathroom in time, so probably variations of that theme.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

thedangergroove posted:

That's likely this, it rules :

Haha holy gently caress, that's it! Many thanks!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Eason the Fifth posted:

There was a top down shooter from the late nineties or early 2000's where you aimed with the mouse and got fallout-esque traits in between rounds. I know that's annoyingly vague but I don't remember much else about the game. Happen to jog any memories?

Crimsonland?

Any of the zombie/alien shooter series?

I used to dig those style games, so if it’s not either of those I’ll check my steam list and see what else I’ve got from that genre.

E: do you know if you controlled a person or a spaceship, and if it was more stylized or realistic art style?

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

just thought of one.

Back in the weebl days, they would occasionally have these little “interlude” animations between main releases.

One was a little cute character, I think with bows on their head, white character on a dark blue(?) background, bouncing. Super chill. It had some music that inspired a bit of my own work.

I think there may have been text saying something like “new episodes coming soon!”

I went looking for those interludes a while back, wanted to see just how much of the original’s influence ended up in my tracks, but I didn’t have any luck finding anything but the normal shorts.

Iirc, this would’ve been 2003-2005, not much later as my songs were from late 2005-2006.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Holy poo poo I somehow missed this!!!!

These are almost certainly what I was remembering! I think I combined the video from the first and the song from the second in my mind. You've ended a more than decade long search for me, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

This is likely dumb as hell, but I have no idea how to find out more about this.

PC Gamer magazine (at least US version) would have these weird little snippets on the last page of every issue, bottom right. They’d never acknowledge it, iirc once someone wrote in asking and they were like “what stories?”.

I’m mainly curious how long they did this for and their reasoning, but I can’t find a combination of search terms that gets me there. I’m sure it was just some dumb creative writing thing from an editor, but I thiiiink they may have followed an arc issue to issue?

I found some old scans online and included a screenshot: