Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A list someone had made of all the things that Pa Ingalls is described doing competently/skillfully/successfully in the Little House on the Prairie books (not the tv show, gently caress that noise) It was at least 40 items long and I might have seen it in the New Yorker or maybe Harpers because they like a list. I've looked for it for years and can't find it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

ChaosTheory posted:

I came here to post this. It was really bad CG, like intentionally low poly, and creepy looking. a galloping horse, the head oscillates faster and faster outside a window.

That's "La Salla" by Richard Condie, it's very early CGI, he also made "the big Snit".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaNB-ruHpQ

yaffle fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 26, 2019

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm sure this is from Miami vice, but I can't find any reference to it: A later season, Crockett and Tubbs are older and younger, cooler, grungier cops are coming up maybe to replace them? But the young cops are arrogant and slapdash, although their hearts are in the right place? At the end of the episode one of them is shot, while walking up a path towards a drug house of some sort, perhaps because he wouldn't heed the wise advice of Crockett and or Tubbs. The scene happens in slow motion with cool music playing (of course).

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This is a weird one - about 5, maybe 8 years ago a comedy sketch about twerking. A bunch of girls in short shorts twerking, it ends with them sitting on a kitchen counter and somehow making a sandwich by twerking a bunch of sandwich ingredients.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

McSpanky posted:

There was an architect/city planner in I think the early 20th century who designed a type of city that could house a million people in a few square miles with no need for cars or even much vehicular transport of any kind while also not being a brutalist tower house nightmare and it's been driving me crazy trying to remember who this guy was because he seemed insanely ahead of his time. I read about him once ages ago on wikipedia but haven't been able to find anything about him or his ideas since.

Probably Paolo Soleri

https://arcosanti.org/project/about-arcosanti/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Soleri

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A clip from a European movie in which a man rides a scooter through a city (it's probably Italy) mostly shot from behind, in black and white. It's not Roman Holiday. There is a jaunty song playing in the background, the song has a female vocalist

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A female maker, very spectrummy and super bright, she wore glasses and in the video I saw she was making a wire reel controlled camera jig that would automatically track her cat around her studio, I think she was writing the code for it as well.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

30?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Yes, thats the one :) Now I can find out if she does manage to track the cat.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
A segment from a nature documentary from the 80's, probably BBC, possibly narrated by David Attenbourgh. It was about incompetent birds called hammerheads that lived in Southern Africa, it followed them over several years as they failed repeatedly to raise a chick. They kept killing them by mistake, one thing I remember was they choked one to death by feeding it a whole lizard as big as itself, it was funny but sad.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Milo and POTUS posted:

The shakespeare quote "all is ready if the mind be so" is mentioned in a wikipedia article about... something. I thought it was for serendipity but I didn't see it. Or the role of chance in discovery. I don't know; I can't remember

https://www.sparknotes.com/nofear/shakespeare/henryv/page_186/

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Somewhere on the forums somebody posted a link to a Japanese model-maker who made perfect tiny replicas of various meme animals, the one I remember was a cat wearing a surgical mask. Searching anything with the word "model" in it hopelessly skews the results.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Definitely that guy, thanks. :)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Ok, this is obscure. The screen id/trailer for a Hong Kong based cinema advertising company of the 70's or 80's, all I can tell you was it was animated, mostly orange and had seagulls/some sort of large white bird in it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Could this have been Panasia? They did have a series of bird logos, but more like a fancy phoenix rather than a flock of seagulls

E: There was a cinema company literally called "Orange Sky" (now merged with Golden Harvest), so there's the direction to go in...

I can find plenty of animated Golden Harvest logos featuring amber waves of grain, but it's hard to find ones for Orange Sky pre-merger... Here's a couple supercuts to get you started:
https://youtu.be/VTQk2ozWVtU
https://youtu.be/SfHYR7eQjMs

E2: Here's another two, not focused on a particular company, that seems pretty extensive:
https://youtu.be/YWsvzHQVVl0
https://youtu.be/T6iGopgfCOQ

E3: :siren: :siren: :siren: could it have been something for "Silver Bird Films"? Here's an example:
https://youtu.be/V-_CT0jb_Bw

Thanks for this! It's not in there but I'll keep looking. :)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Maigius posted:

An animated movie, probably from Japan, but definitely requiring subtitles from before early 2009. There were a pair of brothers, and I think they were orphans. They were in some sort of futuristic city and the younger brother was wearing a bunch of watches.

Tekkonkinkreet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfQjc2hs34Y

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

The Walrus posted:

Been thinking about this one. I think it was drawn with a very stylized clean style, sort of like an airbrushed photoshop? I seem to recall that the main character or someone else breaks their leg in a very gruesome way near the beginning? Also I seem to recall that the main character's parents had some sort of secret human alter egos that were all he knew them as, but they were killed by two hitman type characters from their past.

Basically I seem to think it was like a cross between The Boys and The Old Guard. Someone help me out please. Probably early-mid 2000s

Could this possibly be Zenith by Grant Morrison? Some of the things match up...

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lot 49 posted:

An old animated video of I think a baby on a skateboard and some weird animal or something racing on a downhill road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5HSZZRBSIQ

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Sekenr posted:

I am looking for music video.
1. I saw in on vimeo instead of youtube, who knows why. maybe its now on youtube now
2. It was like a theater play on a stage, with everything looking purposely fake like theater props
3. visually it was about a ship with cruel captain who shot an albatross and there was a point when a mermaid stole a crossbow from a sleeping sailor

pls help me find it or I'll go insane

The Tiger Lilies did a concept album based on "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", might be something from that?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
In 1982, when I was 10, our class did a musical. It wasn't a big production with costumes and a stage, we just learned all the songs and performed them in class. It was based on the Beer Rabbit stories and it wasn't Song of the South. The only lyric I can remember is the main character singing about being a "flippety rabbit". This was in the UK.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm looking for a parkour video I saw at least a decade ago on Vimeo, but their search function (or my brain) sucks so now it's gone.
It's shot near the sea in a Baltic state. (Estonia? Lithuania?)
Mostly takes place in a park or playground.
Had a bunch of little kids in it from time to time, near the end they pretend to beat up one of the guys from the parkour group.
Might have had Eminen in the soundtrack?
It seemed really well shot and might have been some sort of showreel for the guy who made it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I may have posted this here before but I'll try again: I thinks it's from a later season of Miami Vice, definitely an American buddy cop show. The two series stars are getting long in the tooth and young fierce streetwise grungy cops are going to replace them. There a scene with a drug bust in a house, one of the younger cops is going up to the house and the old ones can tell his cover is blown and try to warn him, but he's young and foolish and won't listen and the bad guys shoot him. This happens in slow motion with cool music. I've been looking for it for years.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Rascar Capac posted:

Coincidentally I watched S3 of Miami Vice recently. This is S3E19 "Red Tape". Does this clip include the bit you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU1abzcZ6A

That seems like it fits, but I distinctly remember it being a house with a front yard and a gate, or maybe it was 40 years ago and my brain just added all that for me.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

yaffle posted:

I'm looking for a parkour video I saw at least a decade ago on Vimeo, but their search function (or my brain) sucks so now it's gone.
It's shot near the sea in a Baltic state. (Estonia? Lithuania?)
Mostly takes place in a park or playground.
Had a bunch of little kids in it from time to time, near the end they pretend to beat up one of the guys from the parkour group.
Might have had Eminen in the soundtrack?
It seemed really well shot and might have been some sort of showreel for the guy who made it.

Found this whilst going through some old emails:
https://vimeo.com/6495648

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Goodpancakes posted:

Long shot here but some mug posting had me remember this. I visited Solvang California a few years back, and in one of their fancy art galleries they had a mug collection of medium to very large mugs that had what could be considered Viking, or sort of fantasy dwarf faces, on the side. Large protruding and expertly carved/made and nicely colored/glazed. I wrote down the name on the pieces but it turns out it's just the name of the gallery (stix and stones). The place was very adamant about not photographing what they had on display. If this sounds like a potter you know I'd love to get my hands on one of these.

Nothing really shows up on google but in the UK a large mug with a face on it would be a Toby Jug, might help?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

8 Ball posted:

Two things:

A short horror story set in an English village in the summer, a vicar’s daughter(?) meets what she thinks is an angel who takes her around the village and shows her what all the sinful adults have been doing (her mum cheating etc). I think the angel challenges her to find someone truly innocent and free of sin otherwise the world will be destroyed? I remember the description of the hot summers day quite vividly. Pretty sure it was from a collection of short stories that may or may not have also included The Veldt but I imagine published in the UK? Similar sort of disturbing horror vibe anyhow

Rachel and the angel by Robert Westall?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

JamesieAB posted:

Back in 83/84 (I was around 20) I lived in Hong Kong and in my spare time I got a job as a film extra through Jackie Chan's company.

I only went on one job (not sure if it was a Jackie Chan movie or He just supplied the exrtas) and I'm hoping someone on here might recognise the film from my description of the few scenes I was in.

It was set in modern days in a walled mansion and there was a group of both Chinese and Gweilo (foreigners) extras in suits at a party in the evening.

Shot 1 was just us mingling (rhubarb rhubarb).

Shot 2 was us reacting to something happening on a stage. Some guy was running about with a flag we were keeping our eyes on and we had instrucions like "laugh" shouted at us.

That's all I rermember, It may never been used but if it was I doubt it lasted more than a few minute.

Hong Kong was churning out movies back then, can you remember where the mansion was? That might help if the building has some historical importance.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

pumped up for school posted:

I woke up at 4am thinking about the random books my grandad kept in his spare room. He was really into pulp.

Late 80s, maybe early 90s, he had this sci-fi book (may have been YA, probably was) about a bunch of teenagers doing saving the universe stuff, very typical tired plot. The only distinguishing feature i can recall is one of the characters was a child-sized flying squirrel who was super strong. And in my head the cover image was a pretty good illustration of the team leaning against their spaceship, faded ringed planets in the background, but in the fashion of a group of teens leaning against cars at a 50s car hop.

I don't want to reread it, just curious how well my mental image of the book cover matches reality.

This really feels like something by Alan Dean Foster, but now I look I can't find anything that matches your description.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Theres a meme, some sort of rage comic adjacent thing with a guy lying in bed looking mad while his neighbors play really loud Japanese rave music. I need that music to irritate my teenager.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is this the meme format? It might have been a variation of this: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/your-neighbor-at-3am

That's the one, thanks! Now to dredge through the millions of variants to find the one I want.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Vakal posted:

Does anyone know the name of a comic that came out around 5-10 years ago the focused on a very muscular pale woman with a weird baby face who could 'hulk out' into a even stronger body?

The reason I ask is I remember reading some issues back in the day and seemed pretty good but then I forgot about it, and every once and a while I see the character's face as someone's avatar on this board and it sparks the memory that check to see if the series ended or is still going.

Glory?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

GotDonuts posted:

My wife and I have being trying to find this song that we both vaguely remember from the 90s. It has a guy kinda chanting and we think a bird in the background. Cannot remember anything else about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE3FXqXh_P0

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Lavender Philtrum posted:

A particularly strange foreign film, the only thing I can remember about it is a scene of a man in his apartment, playing guitar in his kitchen. It was in french, or spanish, or something like that, and the entire movie was pretty surreal with lots of weird architecture and design-- I think I remember a flying car, or a train that ran on tracks really high off the ground, right outside the window of the apartment of the guitar-playing man?

I also think that the guitar-playing man's scene was apropos of nothing else in the film, the camera just zoomed into his window or something like that, and there he was.

Something by Jeunet et Caro maybe?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Camo Guitar posted:

A catalogue of Citadel Miniatures from the late 80s early 90s. I used to buy the lead miniatures from Mind Games in Melbourne CBD Aus and I'd love to look back on them (and I'm secretly hoping someone has recreated the range with printable .stl files now)
Like this? http://www.solegends.com/citcat1989/cat1989p000-02.htm
I have a print catalogue from around that time.

I'm looking for the name of a very high end piece of image manipulation software that pre-dates photoshop - as I recall it was a hardware/software bundle - a custom built computer that only ran this software.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

you thinking of silicon graphics aka SGI?

I don't think so, this was just for 2d stuff. (I might be wrong).

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Camo Guitar posted:

I may have the dates wrong - I'm looking for the non GW based stuff that Citadel used to cast - usually one piece complete with base (sometimes square, sometimes oval depending on the model, all metal and no plastic to slot into)
From memory they came in a translucent bag with a blue cardboard piece and staple up top, not the foam backed GW stuff.

Edit: These were all generic minis like wood elves, ghouls, pirates, the occasional space stuff etc.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1980red/cit1980red003-01.htm

This page is from 82 I think.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Trabant posted:

Technically yes, but so many of them have a "NO SALES" policy for... reasons, I assume.

But you're right and it's a good reminder -- I'll go back and look for those that explicitly say that members are allowed to buy and sell.

:tipshat:

Have you tried searching in Chinese? Weird old luxury calculators are exactly the kind of thing I'd expect a Hong Kong collector to obsess over.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've been looking for this for a while. A long time ago, possibly even before the internet, my dad found a list someone had compiled of all the things that Charles Ingalls, from the Little House of the Prairie books, was described as being able to do at least competently. It was impressively long, over 40 discreet items as I remember. It might have been from the front of Harpers magazine.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm remembering a music video in which hitler, dressed in an evening gown, sings a song about telling his mother he's gay. This is no longer something that can be googled because you just get a million hits about nazis protesting drag queens.

yaffle fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Arrhythmia posted:

There was some huge furor recently because the new versions of Charlie and the Chocolate factory made Augustus Gloop not fat, in addition to changes to a bunch of other Roald Dahl books.

The biggest change from the original is that the Oompa Loompas are no longer a tribe of African pygmies that Wonka "Rescued".