Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a story I remember only vaguely about a guy who discovers a colony of intelligent mice in his basement. They use tools and they're able to communicate. He helps them along with building stuff and they become a civilization. Initially he keeps it hidden from his wife, but one day he comes home to discover she's found them on her own and is completely enchanted with them, and it even kind of rekindles their relationship and they pretty much just grow old together and become the guardians of generations of mice.

Somehow I got it firmly in my head that it's a goon post, but it may be a general internet story, or even one from an anthology. A while ago I posted in in all the "lost stuff" threads I could find and it rang a bell with a couple of people, but no one's managed to come up with so much as a title or author.

Did the mice form religions really easily?

If so, this might be one of the backstory shorts from Seanan McGuire's "InCryptid" books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah that was the first thing everyone suggested. I've looked into it and I feel like what I've read had a different vibe. But sure, backstory short, that could well be.

http://seananmcguire.com/icshorts.php

about half of these are free; the other half are in purchaseable anthologies.

http://seananmcguire.com/fgaeslinmice.php

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I tried man, I tried.

Maybe this'll help, courtesy of the book thread guys.

Third word is "Review".

I actually had an easier time reading it by tilting my head and looking at the original image.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Several years back, Paul Robinson wrote two weird novels - "Gatekeeper" and "Instrument of God", and posted them free on his website, Paul-Robinson.us

He's since taken them down.

Archive.org has the Instrument of God PDF, but not Gatekeeper. I'd like to see it.

Don't suppose anyone has a copy?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

uvar posted:

I don't have a whole copy. But the one on the wayback machine is only slightly corrupt - if you throw it into one of the 'PDF repair' websites, you can access the first 27 chapters (of 93 listed in the contents). Or if you trust me you can just use this link. https://www.ilovepdf.com/download/m...13vnrg3n17v1/18

I found a few more excerpts but frankly it became too depressing and I got bummed out. He has been active elsewhere within the last month or so which means he's still alive and on the internet at least. Whether he still has the drafts, or would share them...

"This task has already been deleted".

Where on archive.org are you finding this only-slightly-corrupt PDF?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 1, 2023