Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Does anyone have a link to or remember the goon text Sci Fi space opera CYOA from 15 odd years ago? Similar setting to the Expanse/Serenity, large solar system etc with relativistic travel and travel time for weaponry etc, starring Ving Mother loving Rhames?

I remember the early stages had a lot of choices around POV character background (yuppie scion vs ex naval officer vs ragamuffin), and once a ship was sourced the choice to make was between various kinds of armaments (large dumbfire cannons where the issue was aiming where the target would be in x minutes vs missile tubes that would be higher cost per usage but self-targetting/propelling). I know most of the old CYOA threads will be dead and gone due to waffle images destroying the hosting of images, but being text based I suspect this may have survived?

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A friend is trying to remember a song that used to be played on the radio in Australia in the 90s, the only lyrics she can remember are "send a message to your local MP, drive it home that it's not easy, to be living in a loveless society...." The singer was a woman.
She's pretty sure she heard in on Triple J, an alternative music/"youth culture" radio station.

Just in case she's misremembering lyrics, Plastic Loveless Letter by Magic Dirt has a female vocalist, and from memory was heavily played on JJJ.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Phy posted:

There was an MSpaint thread once, either in GBS or (less likely) PYF, where a goon did a little MSPaint/memeface comic about trying to order a pizza while extremely stoned. All I remember is the pizza guy asking the goon what they wanted on their pizza, and the goon sits there for a panel, and then says, "... mayonnaise?"

Same guy who ended up in the wrong side of the counter, trying to order from a customer who was trying to order from him, correct?

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Time_pants posted:

There was a picture I saw a long time ago of what looked like a giant piece of heavy machinery or construction equipment with what appeared to be a massive circular saw at the end of a long arm poised like it would be used to tear into the landscape. The way the picture was shot made it look way more massive than it actually was and the "saw" was, if I remember correctly, a wheel with a bunch of shovels or buckets on it (think the blade on a bulldozer or an excavator's shovel).

I remember that it was somewhat commonly shared online and then later in clickbaity articles about the real story behind popular pictures from the internet. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

One of the many articles/pictures of Bagger 288?
https://images.app.goo.gl/GFqqcc2wGWWvcahU9

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

mr_jolly posted:

I'm not sure if I've dreamt it or have been living in another dimension but recently I've been trying to remember a sci-fi book i possibly read a few years ago. Unfortunately i can't remember much of the plot except that it seemed to be set mainly in London during a war and everyone lived under a giant dome to protect them from bombs. At one point i remember there was a bit about a train leaving the dome to go to some secret bunker and bits describing how everyone lived from day to day but apart from that nothing!

For some reason Stephen Baxter comes to mind but it doesn't seem to be any of his books. The only vaguely similar result i can find on the net is a suggestion that it's a Phillip k dick book but the plotline doesn't seem the same.

Am I dreaming or going mad?

Baxter's officially accepted sequel to The Time Machine, Time Ships? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Ships

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

hark posted:

no I know that movie and it has a similar vibe as far as the dystopian aspect is concerned, but I'm kinda leaning toward it being a TV show. I can't remember if the people were hiding from aliens or they were some kind of lower class or both? I have done too much drugs in my life to remember things in great detail. I don't recommend it, unless you like having fun.

I think this was Colony - in one of the later seasons I recall they caught an alien and his it in a truck, and had to get it past the alien/human dystopia shock troop check points.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Amusing game though, many memories of giant armies of fire guys and club guys dying to traps!

Pac, Archon Ultra?

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

R.L. Stine posted:

there's either a movie, show, or a dream i had:

it's set during the dust bowl, and the parents (or just the mom) of two kids just straight up peace and never come back. the kids are left to fend for themselves.

i log every movie i watch on letterboxd and it's not there afaik. so i'm starting to think it was either an episode of some anthology show or i've just made it up

Not a lot of match, but there's not a lot of beautifully shot dustbowl in modern media: Episode 1 of Carnivale has a mother peacing out and a son being left in a dustbowl shack, then being picked up by wagon and bonding with youngsters.

Also a solid show (Clancy Brown having a great old time!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Domus posted:

If it helps, that’s a rip off of the Eric carle elephant toy. Can’t tell you who made the rip-off though.

Nice work! I couldn't find any people ones(checked through temu etc) but they're are plenty of listings for blue ones: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1237357...emis&media=COPY