Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
In fairness, I haven't looked in over ten years, but "a black and green trucker cap, that is ONLY black and lime green / similar shades, with no text or other colours, but with some kind of abstract design".

I remember saying this was a white whale to my friend at uni, and he was like "my mate has a skate shop, I'll hook you up". Saw him a few days later, he was wide eyed "you're right, theres no such thing!!!"

These days with etsy and the like I'm sure I can find one, and so now I'm off to try.

/edit: hmmmm, still not immediately obvious...

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Ah, you got in before my edit, but, I want 'some' kind of design. I think that would work, and I could stitch my own badge on or something, yeah!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

poo poo me, that first one is basically what I've been looking for! gently caress! Thanks dude!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Yond Cassius posted:

I've found a few white whales for people in this thread before, and maybe someone can help me turn up one of my own.

So I'm trying to find a... TV show, probably, or maybe YouTube series. I saw it advertised while binge-watching Carmilla a while back, but I can't find it anymore. It's a ha-ha semi-romantic comedy thing about two women writing a play (or TV series?) together, about two gay women, and everyone assumes that it's based on them. I remember a dinner-party type scene where people are standing around a kitchen island and someone asks, "So... which one are you?" or something similar. Of course in the beginning there is much protesting, but Complicated Feelings arise (this being a romantic comedy conceit) and... I don't know anything else, because it got lost in the tab/link shuffle and I never got to see it. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

I swear I remember a Caroline in the City episode like this, but I'm not finding anything, maybe it's something from a similar era? Immediately I'm thinking "Ellen", but that seems too obvious?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
A while back there was a BBC (I think BBC 2?) Thing, like a trailer that was just about food shows, generally, on the BBC. Part of it was Gary Rhodes climbing up a cliff face, to tell some campers who were cooking sausages "the trick is, 'not' to prick them".

I can't find hide nor hare of it, and don't even really know what I'd search for.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

uvar posted:

A number of other people also remember this, but nobody seems to have a copy. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rock_talk/gary_rhodes-664, one of many tweets about it, https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/classic-tv-adverts.59704/ (these are all just people discussing the same thing). It appears to have been a BBC2 promo from the 90s, but if it didn't pop up after his unexpected death, I'd say your chances are slim.

Fake edit: ahahaha never mind. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP5axgoKcIQ&t=42s

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!

THANKYOU! It looks like you went down roughly the same rabbit hole I did, but much much better! Well done! That's amazing! I couldn't believe how many people had been looking, so close to the film, and not found it? Made it feel especially futile. You are truly an internet cool-dude.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

signalnoise posted:

There is a scene from a movie where it's an adult man and his elderly father and the father chides him about how difficult it was to raise the man, and the man responds with an outburst of "I WAS A CHILD" along with some other stuff about kids being expected to gently caress up and parents being there to guide them or something. I can't remember what movie this is and the search terms I can think of for it don't work.

Yeah, I've seen this film and now you've got me going. If it's the same one, I'm fairly sure the old man is more of a main character than the younger man, something like Albert Finney in "Big Fish"

Wait, is it that? That's where my mind immediately went

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Posted in the GWS small questions thread and they gave me some pointers, but no one had the actual definitive answer:

Here in England, if you go to any Chinese takeaway and get Crispy Peking Duck, it comes with what they call 'Hoi Sin Sauce'. You can also order this separately, and it's always the same thing, a tarry-thick black sauce that tastes like the tears of angels.

However, if you go and buy Hoi Sin Sauce from a shop, it tastes like the tears of Criss Angel.

Does anyone know exactly what sauce they're using in the takeaways? It's the same wherever you go, so I can't imagine it's a special recipe or anything? I've looked at Asian wholesalers before, and couldn't find anything that I hadn't already tried. The closest thing I can get is Lee Kum Kee Peking Duck sauce, which makes me think that actually (And the GWS thread pretty much confirmed) the stuff they're selling as Hoi Sin is really more like Peking Duck sauce. That doesn't actually massively help though.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jeza posted:

They are using Hoisin, it's just a sauce with a great deal of regional variation. A lot of supermarket brands are a lot thinner and fruitier. There's a lot of cross-over between Hoisin and Plum Sauce, and often they seem to be used interchangeably (and even namewise) for some reason even though they don't taste anything alike.

You can definitely buy the same tasting Hoisin though. Flying Goose brand Hoisin (you know...the transparent bottle + green cap Sriracha brand) is very, very close to what takeaways use. You can also buy fancier versions that are thick + dark and glossy, probably better than the takeaway version (which believe me probably comes in multi-litre tubs).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Goose-Hoisin-Sauce-Pack/dp/B00710V7CC/ref=psdc_433166031_t1_B003WP0G3Q?th=1

Plenty of reviews going on about it, though you can probably get it cheaper from an Asian supermarket.

e:

Also for what it's worth, I would say it is extremely likely that every Chinese takeaway (that isn't fancy enough to make its own) uses Lee Kum Kee as a base. From there, they will add a bit of water and sugar and potentially some extra spices (i.e. a little garlic/chili/fivespice) to their own personal preferences as from the tub it's super thick and very salty.

Yeah, the flying goose one is really close. I WANT the stuff that comes in multi-litre tubs, but couldn't find any at the Asian cash and carry in Greenwich. Well, no that's not true, I found a couple, neither of them right though. I don't want "Better than" I want the same as the stuff you get at every single Chinese Takeaway!

I actually went and bought LKK 'again' to try watering down / adding sugar to, because this is exactly the response I got in GWS, and, it's just obviously not right. It's like browner and has a taste to it that I can only assume comes from the spices, that's actually kinda a little like Char Siu flavour? There's clearly no tampering with it with stuff I've got that's going to result in the exact one I'm after.

I've even gone and picked up some Tian Mian Jiang to mix with a little sesame oil and loads of sugar to see if I can make my own.

And, y'know, you can say it's regional, but every single Chinese takeaway I've ever been to has had exactly the same hoisin sauce! That's what led me down this path in the first place, the ubiquity suggests it's something I should be able to easily get / make without going to a Chinese takeaway.

Reading your message again though, what HAS got me intrigued, is that you say "From the tub"... I've never actually found a TUB of LKK, only the store jars. That would completely explain everyone insisting its LKK but my experience being totally different...

Gonna go search for LKK tubs.

/Edit: Ok, so I 'think' what might have happened is that every time I got LKK, I was actually getting the gluten free version? It seems to come not in tubs (unless Im missing something) but rather in giant tins, so I'll see about getting a smaller tin of it, and try to make sure it's not the gluten free one.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 23, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's not the answer, but "your sweet love" by Trash Palace is a similar thing that might help with 'sounds likes'?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
So, I've got a sorta weird one, in that, I 'have' a song, and I know the band, but I can't find anything about it?

In the 90s (I think?) at some point, Soulwax (possibly as 2ManyDJs, or just the Dewale Brothers, or, maybe none of those?) Did a collaboration. I'm not sure who with, but I'm fairly sure the collaborative event was called 'Coming Together Apart', and it was about doing a song with someone else but like, over the phone. (Maybe internet? I think it was kinda pre internet).

Anyway, I think this track was actually a collab with two other people, so like a 3 way thing?

It starts off with a dude going "I like to poo poo in my trousers, Laugh at myself " and some more lyrics I can't really make out, and then the sort of chorus is him just going "every night is a lonely night, every night is a lonely night..." With rising intonation, until he breaks off into a laugh and the main hook kicks back in.

But like, I just can't find anything about it anywhere? Which feels .... not right.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

ishikabibble posted:

That's exactly it! Thanks! Every time I tried to look it up in the past google just wanted to ignore the board flipping part and just try and convince me I was really talking about Hero Quest.

Voodoo spectre cannot be defeated.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Wait, what the gently caress? Like someone was actively editing all our posts and saving them on another forum?!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Kind of dumb, but I have this weird obsession with lime green and black as a colour combo. Everything in my house where I get to choose the colours is in that combination. I have almost exclusively Razer products in the office, and while I'm more than happy with their performance it's entirely an aesthetic thing. My kitchen is all joseph joseph green stuff, my tools are all Ryobi, etc etc. Like, yeah, it's super lame, but the thing is it just always looks the best to me. I appreciate it's not everyone's taste, and so the living room and general decor is all up to my wife.

For reference, this is exactly perfect:

Essentially my white whale is just, 'clothes in those colours'. But ONLY those colours. I wouldn't even ask because I've been hunting so long, I KNOW for example, that there does not exist a trucker hat in exclusively those colours, and hasn't since 2008. Which, y'know, seems unlikely, but it's true. I've had people on here look before and come up spare. (There are sites that let you design them yourselves, but they either have a white hat as the canvas, or are a poo poo design). ANYWAY, I'm not after a trucker hat any more, I'm just after any nice clothes. The reason I ask now, is because not too long ago Hugo Boss released a range (well, 3) of T-Shirts in these colours, which I immediately bought all of, but it made me think maybe there's a chance it's a fashion atm, and that there may be other stuff?

Time was DC shoes would always have a pair of skate shoes in these colours, but, not for a while except for some exclusives that sold out immediately :'(.

Louis Vuitton does a shawl called Monogram that for seemingly one day only, came in a lime green, but the next time I went to look all evidence of it was scrubbed off the internet.

Sorry about the broadness, and also the brokenness of my brain!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

TIP posted:

you're trying to hurt me aren't you?

The actual cap turned out to be much more a baseball cap in person, not a trucker cap. Its still the absolute best anyone's ever found though!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Adidas does this color combo a lot, if you're looking for athletic wear (including T's, presumably). I've seen tracksuits, hoodies, etc. Just GIS "adidas black lime green" and go hog wild. Oh yeah, and they also do LOTS of shoes this way!

You might be able to find this combo in a bowling shirt fairly easily?

Also you could overpay for this wacky dress shirt: https://antonalexander.com/shop/active-collection-dress-shirts/club-dress-shirts/

... Fuckin YESS!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cassius Belli posted:

This is a little far back but I was buying a gift for a friend today, saw this in the 'related items' recommendations, and thought of you.

https://pinsandaces.com/products/green-splatter

Saved! Thanks!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It's like a meme video, badly animated of an imperial guard trooper marching across various backgrounds, with some funny music playing. I got the impression it's a format where you'd have different people doing the walking, but I only ever saw that one?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

YES! It was absolutely this, this is the same music and exactly the same weird style... Ok, great, can't be hard to find with that connection, thanks!

...And actually in fact, literally the first thing I found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUW8sBaacQI&t=2s

Cheers!

Oh poo poo it's by Neil Cicierega?! Ha, no wonder it stuck with me.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 16, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Cannibal Smiley posted:

This could be the most obscure thing you can imagine, because it involves either Canadian or British music videos, but:

It was a music video for a song that I immediately forgot the name of. It featured lots of fast-forwarded footage of a path running through a winter countryside, possibly next to a mountain, because I remember one side of the path being a steep hill covered in snow. There were also a lot of segments taken from classic cartoons, including one scene where a toy soldier steps forward and his heart comes out of his chest on a spring. It also had shots of the singer singing the song; I think that he had long blond hair. A possible lyric might have been "I lost the princess", but I'm not sure.

This would have been on Canadian music television in the Eighties, but I know that MuchMusic had a lot of content from British music television, so it might have been British instead.

It isn't this, but I have to suggest anyway, Ray of Light by Madonna? (Obviously, not that. Sorry. I just saw it so clearly in my head from your description.)

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I had somehow forgotten that the Wayback Machine existed. Thank you for that, and the links! I learned two things: The dragon that I am positive is the one that was gifted to me in the late nineties, stopped being produced in the eighties.

:iiam:

This last point is to me at least, not that weird. Growing up in the nineties there was a local toyshop called Alladins cave, and it was quite a small shop, but just packed floor to ceiling with toys. Toys would be stacked up, too, and in the piles would be other things. And it all just sat there, building up. Some stuff would come and go, obviously, but loads of stuff just stayed there. I definitely picked up action figures from the 80s in the mid 90s and thought it was normal. I reckon that must have been true of a lot of toyshops back then, and this was a tiny one.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I actually do remember something similar, but it being Donald Duck, and I think I had a video with it on? Hmm, gonna go investigate.

/edit: ah crap, it wasn't on the anthology vhs I had, so could well be misremembering, ignore me.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 14, 2023

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I used to have some Japanese metallic lime green mtg sleeves, that were really limey, and loved them. All the other lime green sleeves I've found are kinda closer to apple green. I've asked in more mtgish places, but to no avail.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
/edit: sorry this was really dumb

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

eating only apples posted:

This is driving me crazy. This song (I think it's a slowed down version) is super popular rn in tiktoks and shorts, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1ZIClHxjM

and it makes my brain go "ooh that sounds like something". A spark of recognition every time and I cannot place what it reminds me of. That kinda nasal "so preeeettyyyy".

I know exactly what you mean, and can't place it either. If I work it out I'll report back

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MoonshineWilly posted:

I’m looking for a story that the teacher read to the class when I was a kid. The details are fairly fuzzy, but maybe somebody can help. This would have been late 80s, early 90s. It was a short story about a kid that either travels in time or space travel. The kid eventually makes it back home, but the mother has aged while they was gone and is now elderly. The illustration accompanying the text reminded me of a statue in a graveyard, but that might be dumb little kid logic. I don’t remember the gender of the kid and it might have been a brother and sister.

Ah, I know this (I think) but the story I'm thinking of was in a really small book, that was part of a big collection we had at school that were just referred to as "five minute reads". They were all similar kind of, twilight zone, single gimmick "what if?" books, mostly sci fi. They all had a bold (different) colour and then a hand illustrated cover, but beyond that I couldn't tell you a single thing about them, and my cursory googling suggests that "five minute reads" might have been a name that Mrs. Phillips came up with herself.

Sorry.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Some British ad, from I think the 90s, that has a song, going,

Choc-o-layte (mmm mm mm mm mmmm, mmm mm mm mm mmmm!) Choc-o-layt!

Sort of deep baritone, African chant style?

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Sanford posted:

Are you thinking of Vitalite, rather than chocolate? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0zN4nXXvSc

Ha, no, but absolutely along the right lines. very similar, but a little bit more funky, and saying chocolate but really sounding out the syllables, Choc - o - let

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

HAHAHAH gently caress! YES! Omg, I don't even really recognise the advert, but that tune plays in my head constantly for some reason, and it's always impossible to purge an earworm like that without listening to it for me, this is great! I kept thinking it was a hot chocolate advert, but no, it was just cadburys all along! AAhhhhhh thankyou!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Man, I feel bad, I keep coming to this thread asking for help finding clothes, I feel like I'm both really picky and also really bad at finding clothes online. But, y'know, I clearly don't feel 'that' bad about it because here I am again.

I'm trying to find these: https://www.goat.com/en-gb/sneakers/skate-sk8-hi-glow-skulls-vn0a5fcc5qw but in the UK, in a size 10 UK. (11 US).

I've only found them in one place, https://shoprockstar.com/vans-skate-sk8-hi-glow-skulls/ (Admittedly 11.5 US, which is also fine) for a decent price, but alas and alack, it's £200 shipping, which... y'know. Nope.

Even if this is a no go, and these are like, just unavailable, does anyone know of a good place to find, like, shoes that you know exist but aren't currently on sale? I find a lot of the time there will be a particular pair of say, DCs that I know exist and came out not too long ago, (e.g. Ken Block Versaflex Neon Edition) but aren't on their website now, and it feels like, that's it, they just vanish off the face of the earth. I can't imagine it's the case that every single pair sells up everywhere, and I get that for a lot of them they're just going to be sitting on the shelf of some 'MOM AND POP' (Mum and Dad?) store with no web presence for years and years. But, all the same, is there some place that people in the know go?

Thanks for any hints and tips.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I found one place that seems to have them in the right size, though I am unsure about the shipping fee.
https://www.billioncreation.com/product/vans-skate-sk8-hi-glow-skulls-shoe-black-green/

Another I found, but I think their one remaining pair is US size 10.
https://shop.ccs.com/products/vans-skate-sk8-hi-shoes-glow-skulls-black-green-black

Thanks, one of these wouldn't ship to uk and the other was $200 shipping, but thank you so much for the effort!

What I ended up doing was finding the style code and doing a google search for that which led me to Flightclub.com, which I only call out, because it seems to have a really great selection, 'seems' to be legit, and didn't show up in any of my searches. (Or apparently you's guys's). So might be the kind of place I described, like a go-to for hard to find shoes. I mean, maybe not, I'll let you know if I get a lump of coal in a box, but, y'know.