Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

Saints got robbed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers were working out Ross Cockrell at FS, which didn’t look good for Gaulden. I feel like this move was a long time coming.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Congratulations to the Falcons for winning their first of 24 games this season tonight!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Big Jesus posted:

Congratulations to the Falcons for winning their first of 24 games this season tonight!

Are they playing Madden or something?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The looks of a man who knows he just fleeced someone.

https://twitter.com/Panthers/status/1156935352592019457?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

Panthers were working out Ross Cockrell at FS, which didn’t look good for Gaulden. I feel like this move was a long time coming.

Gaulden has looked like a stud at nickel though which is where he should ahve always been.

Panthers were throwing a hail mary with him at FS

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
Ryan Kalil unretired go join the Jets. Not a big deal since our new center is better, but f the entire Kalil family.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

Ryan Kalil unretired go join the Jets. Not a big deal since our new center is better, but f the entire Kalil family.

It'll never happen but wooof. Could you imagine if Panthers beat the jets in the superbowl after Kalil's drive for one the last few years. Be like something out of a Greek tragedy.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

three posted:

What the gently caress :psyduck:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Could you imagine...the jets in the superbowl

No, I cannot.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well this season started out well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Figured this would happen.

https://twitter.com/theMMQB/status/1157148020791603205

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Yeah everyone saw that coming. There are a few other massive wide receiver contracts on the horizon, too. Teams would do well to get out ahead of it if they can afford to.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
You should definitely pay a 30 year old WR the same as a 26 year old WR.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

three posted:

honestly I'm just confused. I guess it's a decent 1 year payday but who unretires to play for the jets?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

honestly I'm just confused. I guess it's a decent 1 year payday but who unretires to play for the jets?

Maybe he didn't get any announcer or t.v. gigs and his account was like "lol you'll be broke in ten years".

It also can sometimes take athletes ages to let go. Plenty of great fighters come back for just one more and are way past it because no one tells them no. Jets might have just been the best of a bad lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I can't even imagine how bizarre the transition between being a professional football player and being retired is. You basically just instantly lose everything that your life was about up until that point

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Play posted:

I can't even imagine how bizarre the transition between being a professional football player and being retired is. You basically just instantly lose everything that your life was about up until that point

There's a podcast I listen to each week with 2 NRL players (NRL is rugby league where that Jared Hayne dude who played for the 9ers for 5 mins came from). One of them spoke recently about how hard it was to leave the game he'd played since he was 5.

Spoke about what it felt like to win a final and to have that camaraderie and then for it all to be over. It basically left him in a deep depression where he was bordering on alcoholism. What helped was a lot of other retired players reaching out to him on support.

No doubt it would be extremely tough as you basically lose the drive and motivation for a huge part of your life that's been there forever overnight.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

BlindSite posted:

There's a podcast I listen to each week with 2 NRL players (NRL is rugby league where that Jared Hayne dude who played for the 9ers for 5 mins came from). One of them spoke recently about how hard it was to leave the game he'd played since he was 5.

Spoke about what it felt like to win a final and to have that camaraderie and then for it all to be over. It basically left him in a deep depression where he was bordering on alcoholism. What helped was a lot of other retired players reaching out to him on support.

No doubt it would be extremely tough as you basically lose the drive and motivation for a huge part of your life that's been there forever overnight.

And even if you make the transition to coaching/broadcasting/administrative work, it wouldn't be the same.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Play posted:

That's most retirees. My job is literally taking retirement claims, and I thought they'd all be celebratory. Most are, but a surprising number of people are essentially lost.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

three posted:

You should definitely pay a 30 year old WR the same as a 26 year old WR.

nah, you should pay him MORE

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GD_American posted:

That's most retirees. My job is literally taking retirement claims, and I thought they'd all be celebratory. Most are, but a surprising number of people are essentially lost.

Football is a lot more than a job, though. It's a complete lifestyle that you just have to say goodbye to whether you're ready or not, not to mention the fact that retirement comes at you quickly in the NFL. I see your point and a lot of people are definitely totally lost after retirement, but I think it's a bit different.

BlindSite posted:

I'd imagine it's even harder if you're forced out by injury, and then you can add onto that the consequences of CTE which you might have to face. A center who joined the hall of fame this year spoke about how disappointing it was to be blackballed by the league in the final two years he wanted to play (he was the head of the NFLPA during contentious CBA negotiations). He was a pro bowl center who would've played for vet minimum and didn't get a single call. Then after two years of that, someone called but he was loving over it and felt like the opportunity to play again was gone

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

the scuttlebutt is will grier looks real good.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I haven't seen much but the highlight clips they've put up... he throws a real pretty ball. Preseason games should be fun.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BlindSite posted:

Preseason games should be fun.

Narrator: They would not be fun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Counterpoint: He sucks and I hate him

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Play posted:

Football is a lot more than a job, though. It's a complete lifestyle that you just have to say goodbye to whether you're ready or not, not to mention the fact that retirement comes at you quickly in the NFL. I see your point and a lot of people are definitely totally lost after retirement, but I think it's a bit different.

There are far more jobs that hold this in common than you think. The military (just for one example) has all those attributes and more.

You're buying the NFL's bullshit if you think they're some special flowers.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GD_American posted:

There are far more jobs that hold this in common than you think. The military (just for one example) has all those attributes and more.

You're buying the NFL's bullshit if you think they're some special flowers.

It does not have all those attributes. Many people retire from the military at standard retirement age, that's a huge difference right out of the gates. You can continue working into your 70s if you want. It's also, in my opinion, less of a complete lifestyle assuming we're not talking about boot camp and soldiers deployed in combat zones, which is just a small part of the military in total. Finally, most people in the military don't spend their entire young life preparing for the job.

There are similarities, but I think professional athletes (this applies to much more than football players) are definitely in a special and unique category.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the most unique thing about sports in the US, particularly US Football, is it basically requires you to slavishly devote your life to something from like 12-22 to even get a chance at a job, and that's one that on average lasts about 3 years.

That's....ridiculous.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

I think the most unique thing about sports in the US, particularly US Football, is it basically requires you to slavishly devote your life to something from like 12-22 to even get a chance at a job, and that's one that on average lasts about 3 years.

That's....ridiculous.

Exactly, and really you can never really stop being a pro football player. Even when you're "off the clock" somewhere else you're still representing yourself and your team and have to be conscious of that basically 24/7. It is ridiculous as far as labor goes, at the same time the rewards are great for exactly that reason. They have to make enough money to last them for the rest of their lives, because many of them won't really be able to transition to anything but "former football player."

The job STARTS in middle/high school, too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Looks like we've got one more spot in the NFC South fantasy league, post here if you want to join:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869636

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

Looks like we've got one more spot in the NFC South fantasy league, post here if you want to join:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869636

Ah hell I completely forgot about this - responding to the thread

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm so excited to be disappointed by the Bucs yet again

Optimistic prediction: 8-8

Realistic prediction: 6-10

How the Bucs will actually perform: 4-12

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Play posted:

It does not have all those attributes. Many people retire from the military at standard retirement age, that's a huge difference right out of the gates. You can continue working into your 70s if you want. It's also, in my opinion, less of a complete lifestyle assuming we're not talking about boot camp and soldiers deployed in combat zones, which is just a small part of the military in total. Finally, most people in the military don't spend their entire young life preparing for the job.

There are similarities, but I think professional athletes (this applies to much more than football players) are definitely in a special and unique category.

You do not know a thing you are talking about.

“Standard retirement age” for Americans starts at age 66. Very, very few servicemembers make it in uniform to first Social Security eligibility at age 62, which is also the mandatory retirement for everyone who isn’t a frigging flag officer.

I’ll skip the massively erroneous “less of a complete lifestyle” argument, since you obviously had no field time and wouldn’t get the concept.

I will say that “you can keep on working into your 70s if you want” made my whole team laugh when I told them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GD_American posted:

You do not know a thing you are talking about.

“Standard retirement age” for Americans starts at age 66. Very, very few servicemembers make it in uniform to first Social Security eligibility at age 62, which is also the mandatory retirement for everyone who isn’t a frigging flag officer.

I’ll skip the massively erroneous “less of a complete lifestyle” argument, since you obviously had no field time and wouldn’t get the concept.

I will say that “you can keep on working into your 70s if you want” made my whole team laugh when I told them.

:shrug: my uncle was in the military into his 60s. But if you want to believe you're just like a pro football player don't let me stop you

I mean, how old are you right now? The average pro football career is somewhere between 3.5 and 5 years...

Play fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 5, 2019

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Play posted:

:shrug: my uncle was in the military into his 60s. But if you want to believe you're just like a pro football player don't let me stop you

Oh your uncle

Oh my bad then you know better

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GD_American posted:

Oh your uncle

Oh my bad then you know better

don't get all snarky because your argument is crap. The average length of enlistment in the military is 15 years, which is a completely different universe to the NFL's 3.5 or so. So they're absolutely different

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

My uncle played football in the 1960s, maybe I should have claimed that one up front

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

my uncle was the dumbest, least capable person the air force ever let in.

they kicked him out the first chance they got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Play posted:

don't get all snarky because your argument is crap. The average length of enlistment in the military is 15 years, which is a completely different universe to the NFL's 3.5 or so. So they're absolutely different

So wait, servicemembers serve 3x as long on average, but it’s less of a lifestyle because so few of them ever deploy in the longest war in American history? Might wanna call your uncle and get this one straight