Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

This thread is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

Yes because you are the one making the claim. I'm not doing your work for you.

You're challenging the claim and saying I'm wrong and want citations. That's you wanting me to quote citations whenever I say something on an internet forum which no reasonable person would do.

https://www.economist.com/international/2015/01/15/hang-up-the-boxing-gloves
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_glove
https://medium.com/@epiphanyaweek/the-paradox-of-boxing-gloves-e6eda15dd755

Literally the top results if youd take the time to google "is boxing without gloves safer" but you don't want to do that because bad faith arguments are more fun, aren't they?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ohhh "bad faith" buzzword bingo.

Also I'm not paying to read that article

Also lol

quote:

One non-peer-reviewed study has estimated the risk of death from bare-knuckle boxing at 14,000 deaths per million participants. This is 184 times more deaths per million participants than for modern professional boxing, which has 76 deaths per million participants (according to the same study)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
JASON GARRETT

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

Ohhh "bad faith" buzzword bingo.

Also I'm not paying to read that article

Also lol

What a surprise you skipped right past this part:

The impact of gloves on the injuries caused during a fight is a controversial issue. Hitting to the head was less common in the bare-knuckle era because of the risk of hurting the boxer's hand. Gloves reduce the number of cuts caused, but British Medical Association research has stated that gloves do not reduce brain injuries and may even increase them, because the main cause of injury is acceleration and deceleration of the head, and fighters wearing gloves are able to punch harder to the head. Gloves may reduce the amount of eye injuries, especially if they are thumbless, but retinal tears and detached retinas still occur to boxers wearing modern gloves.[26][27]

for the part that said non-peer-reviewed without a citation afterwards.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I didn't skip past that part because your initial argument was that Bare Knuckle Boxing is safer.

Also Mr Nice already explained that

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

I didn't skip past that part because your initial argument was that Bare Knuckle Boxing is safer.

Also Mr Nice already explained that

Doltos posted:

Which means they hit harder. Better pads = more violent sport.

Doltos posted:

Bare knuckle boxing is safer than boxing with gloves. When you have more protection you hit harder.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

You literally say there that bare knuckle is safer...even though it's killed more people.

Also do you not think it would be legal if it was safer?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's killed more people for a variety of reasons that go beyond getting punched in the head. Again in those articles you refuse to read they covered it, same with a simple google. Grappling and throwing was allowed back in the days which resulted in fighters hitting their heads against objects, the medical care was worse, and people fought til exhaustion, not knock downs.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Being punched in the head by someone wearing a glove is not safer that being punched by a bare knuckle.

Now you could (and probably will) argue that boxings rules allow for more sustained head injuries because they allow fights to go on longer than MMA (which is the closest we have to bare knuckle nowadays).

If you had a 10 count in MMA you would have more injuries because of more direct blows to the head from an un-cushioned fist.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

Being punched in the head by someone wearing a glove is not safer that being punched by a bare knuckle.

Now you could (and probably will) argue that boxings rules allow for more sustained head injuries because they allow fights to go on longer than MMA (which is the closest we have to bare knuckle nowadays).

If you had a 10 count in MMA you would have more injuries because of more direct blows to the head from an un-cushioned fist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Daltos, your assertion was that padding causes them to hit harder. It doesn't. Physics causes padded blows to be softer.

No one disagrees that people have different strategy in a bareknuckle match versus a gloved match just like mma boxing is different than traditional.

Gloves are there to protect hands and that's the same reason that the strategy in the matches are different as well.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Padding allows you to have continued more sustained hits.

The same reason rugby has less head on collisions than in football. Ill concede my point about

CyberPingu posted:

Nowadays though the defenders have more rules to comply to. And the gear they are wearing is more advanced to absorb impact

Was slightly ill informed as the extra layers do cause players to think they have greater protection

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Stop posting Greg Hardy fanfiction tia

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Daltos, your assertion was that padding causes them to hit harder. It doesn't. Physics causes padded blows to be softer.

No one disagrees that people have different strategy in a bareknuckle match versus a gloved match just like mma boxing is different than traditional.

Gloves are there to protect hands and that's the same reason that the strategy in the matches are different as well.

Not my assertion at all. Boxing is an example of pads allowing participants to hit harder. You hit harder because it hurts you less to hit harder ergo anyone arguing against that has either not gotten into a fight or doesn't understand the simple concept of hitting people hurts.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Can we all just agree that Eli is MechaFlacco and call it a day

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I solved the "comparing QBs across generations" debate, you guys are welcome.

Now, back to why Tony Romo was better than Eli Manning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Not my assertion at all. Boxing is an example of pads allowing participants to hit harder. You hit harder because it hurts you less to hit harder ergo anyone arguing against that has either not gotten into a fight or doesn't understand the simple concept of hitting people hurts.

People aren't hitting harder in boxing. They hit softer. People don't punch to the head as often in bareknuckle matches because they break their hands more often, so strategy is different. They don't hit softer. Bareknuckle punches are significantly harder and lead to more knockouts. Similarly, people do not box the same in MMA as they do in traditional boxing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

I'm glad I solved the "comparing QBs across generations" debate, you guys are welcome.

Now, back to why Tony Romo was better than Eli Manning.

Nah. This is the bare knuckle boxing thread.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

People aren't hitting harder in boxing. They hit softer. People don't punch to the head as often in bareknuckle matches because they break their hands more often, so strategy is different. They don't hit softer. Bareknuckle punches are significantly harder and lead to more knockouts. Similarly, people do not box the same in MMA as they do in traditional boxing.

This is semantics then because in my mind being able to repeatedly deliver blows to someone's head harder than you would if you had no gloves means gloves hit harder. It's not that a padded blow vs an unpadded blow is the crux of the argument, it's that put into actual settings the pads enable someone to do a lot more damage over a longer period of time. I apologize if that was unclear but I really do believe that improved pads, along with people being smarter/better/faster/stronger, means that people getting hit in today's game are taking way more damage than the people in past generations. This is despite the advent of better understandings of anatomy and physiology.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

blarzgh posted:

Now, back to why Mark Rypien was better than Eli Manning.

efWFT

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

in my mind

I really do believe

Doltos posted:

you're so obsessed with numbers that you think

but it's the truth.

Doltos posted:

I don't care what the stats say, I watched enough

my all seeing eye for talent.

Doltos posted:

When I say Romo doesn't do anything to stand out to me and that he was an average QB or that Eli did things that stood out to me and that he was a great QB it's the same leap of logic. It involves ignoring numbers and going off of eye test.

Here is everyone's issue with trying to discuss things with you: you openly admit that you have no foundation for your claims other than what you feel is true.

Feelings are unfalsifiable: I can't ever prove that you Don't feel a certain way. That means you aren't discussing or debating your points, you're proselytizing your sports beliefs.

But you also don't admit that, either to yourself, or to the thread.

Doltos posted:

I'm still right

I happen to love analysis and forming unbiased opinions.

You claim, on the one hand, that your opinions are unbiased. You claim, on the other hand, that your opinions are based purely on your subjective emotions.

If you would like to disabuse me of this notion, then try this: Offer up what fact (or set of facts) would change your mind that Troy Aikman was a better quarterback than Eli Manning.

If your opinions are truly unbiased, then you will concede that there is something that will convince you that you are wrong?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Doltos posted:

It's killed more people for a variety of reasons that go beyond getting punched in the head. Again in those articles you refuse to read they covered it, same with a simple google. Grappling and throwing was allowed back in the days which resulted in fighters hitting their heads against objects, the medical care was worse, and people fought til exhaustion, not knock downs.

Guy arguing that stats can be directly compared between different eras with different equipment and different levels of athleticism: actually there’s a lot of nuance when looking at numbers about old timey bare knuckle boxing when being Irish was seen as a superpower

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm getting talked down to for using the eye test by a guy who needs a scholarly article to tell him draft grades are unreliable

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So, can you answer his question?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Phobeste posted:

Guy arguing that stats can be directly compared between different eras with different equipment and different levels of athleticism: actually there’s a lot of nuance when looking at numbers about old timey bare knuckle boxing when being Irish was seen as a superpower

It actually is a superpower though??

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the only Irish superpower is that it's ok to be racist against them

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

So, can you answer his question?

Well since Eli has better regular season stats and threw away way less games in the playoffs and the only reply I got to that was different era I'd say if he could actually watch and bring up tape that shows Troy throwing more powerfully or more accurately than Eli then I'd probably give him a head nod. Until then I don't know what Blarzgh wants other than for me to join the horrible hive mind that thinks a two time winning super bowl QB got lucky.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Well since Eli has better regular season stats and threw away way less games in the playoffs and the only reply I got to that was different era I'd say if he could actually watch and bring up tape that shows Troy throwing more powerfully or more accurately than Eli then I'd probably give him a head nod. Until then I don't know what Blarzgh wants other than for me to join the horrible hive mind that thinks a two time winning super bowl QB got lucky.

I'm pretty sure Aikman's defining characteristics were his arm strength and accuracy. I'm going to go watch some Aikman highlights.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
God drat just put him on ignore already

And also stop quoting him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BiggerBoat posted:

This is a wonderful distraction from the world don't you dare take this away from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf14OMrx21Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CX0JkHbO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQqFdT87d4

e: the second video is a recording of a video and sucks.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 31, 2020

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I've been convinced by this thread that live sports are the reason people no longer duel over nothing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Raku posted:

I've been convinced by this thread that live sports are the reason people no longer duel over nothing

ahem, my friend, people still very much are boxing in backyards just like at kimbo's place.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BiggerBoat posted:

You've added nothing to this thread besides getting extremely mad. It would be nice if you left and re-evaluated yourself.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is a wonderful distraction from the world don't you dare take this away from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf14OMrx21Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7CX0JkHbO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MQqFdT87d4

e: the second video is a recording of a video and sucks.

These are three highlight videos in a row but I'm glad you're going down the right route of watching players and evaluating for yourself.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

deedee megadoodoo posted:

You’d think that people would have figured out Doltos gimmick by now.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

:hmmyes:

Here’s some quality content relevant to the thread:

https://youtu.be/0ceL-diMKb8

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

fartknocker posted:

:hmmyes:

Here’s some quality content relevant to the thread:

https://youtu.be/0ceL-diMKb8

:rip: king

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That fat guy could move

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I am glad Dan Snyder's problems continue to mount as the days pass on with the NFL finally stepping in to check on that disaster of a front office out in DC. Now when they do nothing of note then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

euphronius posted:

That fat guy could move

Turn on your monitor