Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos you are exactly correct

Once he got to tough games other teams could scheme against his MANY weaknesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

euphronius posted:

Doltos you are exactly correct

Once he got to tough games other teams could scheme against his MANY weaknesses

like his defense

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Raku posted:

like his defense

Defense is directly tied into the qb

The better the qb the better the defense

It’s like snooker in that way

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

So true, like that time he scored within 5 minutes every time he got the ball and his defense gave up points at an equal rate, romo was to blame.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bad QBs lead to bad field position which leads to bad defensive statistics which leads to bad opinions

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If romo was good his defense would play better for him

79% of being a qb is inspiring the team . As someone said above it is a team game and romo is a bad teammate

Look it’s just numbers. I know he’s cute or whatever

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Do you believe that Denver had a bad defense during any point of Peyton's stint there? Those numbers are from a game against them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Romo should have personally killed Jerry Jones and achieved godhood

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Doltos posted:

I thought there was a moratorium in people being called an idiot for their football opinion or does that just apply to me?

It wasn't for your football opinion per se.

It was for your idiotic assumption that just because we are shell-shocked and psychologically damaged Washington football fans, we could be bullied into agreeing with a white-hot, incredibly wrong football opinion that even Skip Bayless would be embarrassed by.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

predicto posted:

It wasn't for your football opinion per se.

It was for your idiotic assumption that just because we are shell-shocked and psychologically damaged Washington football fans, we could be bullied into agreeing with a white-hot, incredibly wrong football opinion that even Skip Bayless would be embarrassed by.

Ah, well then you're an idiot for that opinion and we're all happy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Jason Witten is the Eli Manning of tight ends

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

indigi posted:

Jason Witten is the Eli Manning of tight ends

Nah witten was good.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So here's a question. Why do you guys think Eli Manning, the man who has more championships and better stats than people you want on the list, is bad?

Challenge mode: you have to come up with an argument that doesn't sound 100% like my argument just with the sides switched

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Because he has a dumb face.

Checkmate, nerd.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eli doesn't have better stats than Romo.

Playoff Eli - where he was his 'best' still isn't even as good as Playoff Aikman.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eli doesn't have better stats than Romo.

Playoff Eli - where he was his 'best' still isn't even as good as Playoff Aikman.

Who wants to try next

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Who wants to try next

Thanks for posting stats that show Eli was worse than Aikman in the playoffs even if you don’t adjust stats for era.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thanks for posting stats that show Eli was worse than Aikman in the playoffs even if you don’t adjust stats for era.

Where and what the gently caress is this adjusting for era bullshit that people keep saying like it wasn't easier to play back then

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doltos posted:

Where and what the gently caress is this adjusting for era bullshit that people keep saying like it wasn't easier to play back then

:lol: post 2006 is an almost completely different game offensively than what people were doing in the 90s.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: post 2006 is an almost completely different game offensively than what people were doing in the 90s.

So how much stats do you add then to adjust for era playing against DBs that ran in the low 5's

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Doltos posted:

So here's a question. Why do you guys think Eli Manning, the man who has more championships and better stats than people you want on the list, is bad?

Challenge mode: you have to come up with an argument that doesn't sound 100% like my argument just with the sides switched

He's not bad ..he's just not great either. You put any semi decent QB in those 2007/11 season and they still win.

He took his opportunities when they were there but outside of that he's barely had a season where he looked like a stud.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's honestly about even. Surprised to see AIkman with a higher INT % (by quite a bit)

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

He's not bad ..he's just not great either. You put any semi decent QB in those 2007/11 season and they still win.

He took his opportunities when they were there but outside of that he's barely had a season where he looked like a stud.

So you're saying with your eye test he didn't look like a stud?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

So you're saying with your eye test he didn't look like a stud?

I'm just saying he never really did anything that stood out to me. He was an average QB that took advantage of the opportunities he was presented with.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

I'm just saying he never really did anything that stood out to me. He was an average QB that took advantage of the opportunities he was presented with.

So now you understand where I'm coming from

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

So now you understand where I'm coming from

Not really but I'm tired and this discussion has been going on for a lot of pages now

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's a covid offseason if you'd like to talk about how your 5th string WR looks in practice go ahead but ending the conversation when you're obviously using the same logic as me is pretty lovely

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

It's a covid offseason if you'd like to talk about how your 5th string WR looks in practice go ahead but ending the conversation when you're obviously using the same logic as me is pretty lovely

No I genuinely have lost the train of thought here. I'm not loving you around.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
When I say Romo doesn't do anything to stand out to me and that he was an average QB or that Eli did things that stood out to me and that he was a great QB it's the same leap of logic. It involves ignoring numbers and going off of eye test.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

When I say Romo doesn't do anything to stand out to me and that he was an average QB or that Eli did things that stood out to me and that he was a great QB it's the same leap of logic. It involves ignoring numbers and going off of eye test.

Oh yeah then I agree.

Id say Romo had a worse supporting cast but Romo should have at least made 1 Superbowl with that offense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
See this is a much better way to express football opinions :)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Doltos posted:

See this is a much better way to express football opinions :)

If you look back at my posts they have all towed the same line.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BiggerBoat posted:

That's honestly about even. Surprised to see AIkman with a higher INT % (by quite a bit)

Yeah, that's the only place Playoff Aikman was worse. He was better overall, though, as shown by the rest of the stats despite the fact that he played in an era where rules were far more favorable to defense.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is giving me an idea, though I don't have time to do it right now - but if we had the stats for the average QB year over year, you could see the changes in the game that lead to different offensive eras. You could then figure a ratio to adjust stats up or down based upon the average QB to compare people across eras.

Because what really matters is not head to head stats (where Eli loses already) but how does each QB compare to their respective peers.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

QB stats are relatively meaningless as it doesn't take into account supporting staff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CyberPingu posted:

If you look back at my posts they have all towed the same line.

One of the good ones

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CyberPingu posted:

QB stats are relatively meaningless as it doesn't take into account supporting staff.

its a team sport.jpg

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
QB stats would be more meaningful if there were consistent matchups across the field. They are arguably the more reliable stats because they control the ball the most but the caveat is that the position is so unbelievably hard to play that completing a pass 10% more than half the time is considered acceptable. Even the best QBs see something bad happen when they throw the ball 30% of the time. It leads to a lot of stats that can be chalked up to luck. INTs, passes deflected, dropped balls from the WRs, dropped gimme INTs from the DBs. I can personally say that Eli should have had at least 30 more INTs from the sheer amount of dropped balls from DBs and I'm sure a lot can be said about other QBs too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is giving me an idea, though I don't have time to do it right now - but if we had the stats for the average QB year over year, you could see the changes in the game that lead to different offensive eras. You could then figure a ratio to adjust stats up or down based upon the average QB to compare people across eras.

Because what really matters is not head to head stats (where Eli loses already) but how does each QB compare to their respective peers.

This has been done. It basically just does just what guys like Bill James did with baseball and adjusts statistical performance against the league average in given years, which makes perfect sense and is what you need to do in order to evaluate things objectively. In the 70's top tier QB's sometimes had like 50/50 INT/TD ratios.

Some goon in one of these threads not too long ago did a thing where he ranked the 100 greatest QB's of all time using this approach and several other statistical methods, some of which were dubious and others that made sense but it was a fun read. I'll see if I can find it. He wound up with something like Roger Staubach, Steve Young, Stabler, Brady of course and I forget who else in the top 10 but it was interesting. I forget who was #1 but do recall he had to recalibrate his formula since Daryle Lamonica rated out as #1 or #2 and nobody thinks that's right.

EDIT:

Here it is. It got goldmined. Brady, PEYTON Manning and Montana 1, 2, and 3

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3891377&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

For purposes of this discussion, Roger Staubach was #6, Romo was #16, Randall Cunnningham was #19, Sonny Jurgenson was #23, Theismann and Schroeder were TIED at #30 (?), Eli was #35, Simms #44 and McNabb was 49...

Among the top 50 from the NFCE since the Super Bowl era anyways.

Not saying I agree with all of it but it was a cool thread and one that blarzgh would probably enjoy at least

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I remember that thread and it was very good.