Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pram posted:

the first computer i built had an athlon xp 1800+ and a radeon 9700 pro. it ran wow very good :hmmyes:

hell yeah athlon buddy. that was also my first built-myself PC. infact it was also an Athlon XP 1800+ but i think i had a visiontek xtasy Geforce TI 4200. some extremely good bang for the buck those days. that was also the last time I had an AMD

was gunna upgrade my computer sometime this year since i have a 6700k and cpu is more limiting on games these days compared to my gpu. i'm actually considering the new ryzens/amd for the first time in like 17 years. i haven't followed hardware for many yearas, anyone whose followed cpus n poo poo, is it worth risking an AMD or should i play it safe with an intel 8700k or 9700k? or is it still too early to tell?

what about mobos, whose making the best mobo these days? i have some issues with my giga-byte z### something that idk if i'd get a gigabyte again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Laslow posted:

also, skylake i7 to zen 2 is a lateral move at best when it comes to games. if you’re really limited by that 6700k, i don’t think a zen 2 is gonna help much. you might need to be looking at those 5GHz 9900k’s if you’re certain.

also alternatively, stop playing battlefield 5 if that’s what’s screwing everything up, it performs like dog poo poo on any reasonable hardware and that’s the one I hear everyone complain about.

yeah BF5 was actually what i was thinking of but it does seem like my gpu is sometimes not fully utilized and i'm trying to eek out 120-144FPS and hitting lower than i should for some reason.

but ok, good to know it's not really an improvement.