Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
my last and computer was an original sledgehammer opteron, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
yeah, things like ULi chipsets and chaintech motherboards just simply don’t exist anymore.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

fart simpson posted:

i went from an athlon x4 or whatever to haswell. i can’t imagine needing to do anything where my i5 haswell cpu isn’t good enough for me
I’m stuck in a special hell where my E3 Haswell is still practically a lateral move to Zen 2 other than core count and I got an itch to build something, but I can’t justify spending just so i can run more operating systems simultaneously for no productive purpose other than because i could.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

But I just built my 8086 like a year ago time to throw it away and go red again
an 8086k? if so that’s a unicorn like the 5775C. ebay that poo poo to some fool then.

if not, then lol. nasa might need it for spare parts.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
the problem with ryzen 3000’s is that the vrm quality actually might matter at least a little bit due to precision boost overdrive, which is like a speedstep/turbocore auto oc thingy and i still haven’t sussed out what’s what on that front, so good luck, really.

you can save money going with x470/b450 so long as the bios has been updated for the new parts. but again, that’s also hard to know for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
also, skylake i7 to zen 2 is a lateral move at best when it comes to games. if you’re really limited by that 6700k, i don’t think a zen 2 is gonna help much. you might need to be looking at those 5GHz 9900k’s if you’re certain.

also alternatively, stop playing battlefield 5 if that’s what’s screwing everything up, it performs like dog poo poo on any reasonable hardware and that’s the one I hear everyone complain about.