Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

I'm going to make my own chair out of a cooled S-class or 7 series seat at some point because all computer chairs suck.

I bought a Steelcase Leap years and years ago and it's been fantastic. Now I know you are an ubermensch but cheap computer chairs suck. Nice computer chairs cost 1000 dollars for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

I bought a Steelcase Leap years and years ago and it's been fantastic. Now I know you are an ubermensch but cheap computer chairs suck. Nice computer chairs cost 1000 dollars for a reason.

If i pay $1000 for a chair, it better come with 4 other chairs and a V8 engine to move them all around with.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Know anybody that's big into knitting? Maybe they could spin all her hair into some yarn and make you a sweet hat.

Or a little skunk-sized sweater for her in the winter which would be totally adorable.

Some good news to offset sad chat is that I'm down to 185lbs from 224 from the last time I went to the doctor in the spring. Last year after losing my friend I was up to 244 since I didn't care about anything until I finally got help. My bp was something like 140/95 with debilitating depression and my doctor is awesome and helped with both those things.

At the spring appointment he wanted me to lose 10lbs before my next one in September and by then I should be down to 180 which would be 44. I've also been going out and doing fun things with new people which helps a lot to not feel like a fat sad sack. I still miss my friend immensely and have occasional bouts of depression but it's just about a 180 from a year ago. Sucks I missed the AI fitness thread cause the 64lbs less of me has been a huge difference.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

shy boy from chess club posted:

Or a little skunk-sized sweater for her in the winter which would be totally adorable.

Some good news to offset sad chat is that I'm down to 185lbs from 224 from the last time I went to the doctor in the spring. Last year after losing my friend I was up to 244 since I didn't care about anything until I finally got help. My bp was something like 140/95 with debilitating depression and my doctor is awesome and helped with both those things.

At the spring appointment he wanted me to lose 10lbs before my next one in September and by then I should be down to 180 which would be 44. I've also been going out and doing fun things with new people which helps a lot to not feel like a fat sad sack. I still miss my friend immensely and have occasional bouts of depression but it's just about a 180 from a year ago. Sucks I missed the AI fitness thread cause the 64lbs less of me has been a huge difference.

That's the best news yet in a thread of good news, nice job man and keep it up. :)

What are you finding is working for you to manage calories?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey guys, check out this thing I'm doing

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I picked up an awesome metal framed solid wood bottom (not cardboard like the cheap chairs) memory foam chair from Staples several years ago. It's fantastic but unfortunately I don't know what it is other than that it has tempur-pedic branding on the cushions.

Edit: I don't think it's this exact model, but it's very similar. https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP4000-Fabric-Computer-and-Desk-Office-Chair-Black-Fixed-Arm-TP4000/product_324022

I know it says 250 lbs, but the one I have is probably good for double that. It's a tank.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 1, 2019

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Trigger warning: pics of dirty holes and discussions of Rhyno laying pipe :quagmire:

I like hearing good news from our forum members. Yesterday was my oldest child’s seventh birthday. It’s wild to see how grown your kids become. It’s fun, but exhausting.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

I'm going to make my own chair out of a cooled S-class or 7 series seat at some point because all computer chairs suck.

My standard for this is an e28 BMW seat

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KakerMix posted:

. Nice computer chairs cost 1000 dollars for a reason.

LOL no computer chair is worth a grand. Not unless it gives you a back rub and a cock massage

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Retail on new good chairs is $1k, you can find them at used office furniture stores for a lot less. I got a pair of Steelcase Leaps for $150 each, and they'll easily outlast whatever cheap foam & particle board stuff Staples sells at that price.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Black88GTA posted:

I despise Wal-Mart, but I have to admit that they were the only place I found within a ~10 mile radius that had two big rear end H8 batteries in stock and ready to go for my 840Ci when the batteries went tits up on my way to work a few years back. The price was better than all of the other stores around (who only had one in stock, if any at all) also.

I swear there's someone on Wal-Mart's purchasing team who maintains a stupid old BMW, because they are consistently the only place I can find the 5qt jugs of Mobil 1 15W-50 oil also. Even the dedicated auto parts stores around here don't have it, not even in the 1 quart bottles.

I'm not a fan of Walmart, either. This was one of the few pilgrimages I will make to Wally World this year, if I have anything to say about it.

STR posted:

I'm seeing Mogwai the week of my birthday, with my GF and my best friend from Dallas. He (friend) is coming down for a couple of days. I should actually have some vacation time at work to burn for this by then too.

The lovely part: I turn 41 this month. :fuckoff:

Pfft. I turn 50 next month.
I have no idea how that happened. I still don't adult very well.

the spyder posted:

I take my final exam tomorrow morning which determines if I keep my current engineering rank (and pay). The training material has to be the worst excuse for a photocopied book containing literal PowerPoint slides I’ve ever seen. I’m going in blind, other than passing the last three exams. There’s no self tests or questions and it’s driving me nuts. Wish me luck!

Dagen H posted:

Good luck spyder

ExplodingSims posted:

Well, I dont know anything about working on diesels, so how bad of an idea is cramming a twin turbo Duramax into a 70yo truck?

Fermented Tinal posted:

That sounds like a great idea.

Please do it.

New chat thread new Scout pics

Fluff shot

Weird looking dog you got there. Or is that a cat?
yes, I know.

Powershift posted:

I've got one I made out of a car seat. Was told Toyota when I bought the pair, but I have no actual idea what it's out of. It's comfy. I put it on an old steel with wood base, the type that you have to screw a collar up and down to change height. Solid as gently caress. I took it to work before we got fancy Herman Miller mesh chairs because the chairs we had were utter crap and made my everything hurt.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Tremek posted:

That's the best news yet in a thread of good news, nice job man and keep it up. :)

What are you finding is working for you to manage calories?

Thanks man, definitely going to keep it up since I feel pretty good most of the time just not eating crap. For a while I was living on like Funny Bones and Zebra Cakes with gummy Lifesavers in between and I felt terrible and got super fat.

Luckily I had quit drinking like sometime in 2017 so that was a huge help with calories and my mental state. I still drink occasionally but a six pack lasts like a month now. Then I just quit eating processed food with carbs and sugar, again I do cheat occasionally but most of the time I live on fruit and vegetables. I'm a banana addict, I eat tons of them. That made a huge difference in the amount of energy I have for work too which is a lot of exercise as well. If it's not a hot as poo poo day I'll do stuff by hand like raking or digging instead of using machines for the extra exercise. The last few days gently caress that like yesterday I brought a tractor to fix a couple ruts I made at one of my jobs getting my truck stuck in the lawn this spring. Something I could have easily used a shovel but it was like 95 and 70% humidity, haha.

Every day gets a little better. For a while I wasn't working on any of my projects at all and now I put in some work at least a few days a week. Still have to work on some things since I really couldn't be social at all for a while and lost touch with a lot of people which sucks but I was in pretty bad shape.

Sorry about the e/n but here and one discord server are pretty much the only social media I use anymore and it feels stupid with the huge poo poo some of you guys are going through.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

IKEA. STR and I have the same one. Here's an updated version, it's super comfy

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90289172/

This is the correct answer. Did a bunch of late work last week and fell asleep in the drat thing. I woke up feeling rested.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Seriously considering leasing a Mazda 6 estate 2.0 petrol. Any input on that? (Other than FAT32 SHAMER wrote the UI.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

heffray posted:

Retail on new good chairs is $1k, you can find them at used office furniture stores for a lot less. I got a pair of Steelcase Leaps for $150 each, and they'll easily outlast whatever cheap foam & particle board stuff Staples sells at that price.

Checked CL and there's a place selling those used for $250, might have to go check it out thanks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

For anyone within a couple hours of Indianapolis and nothing planned for this weekend the Brickyard Vintage Racing Invitational is this weekend. A few of my friends are racing Formula Ford but there's 250+ cars of various kinds racing this weekend. If I was closer I would be heading up tomorrow.
https://www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com/events/vintage

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This is the correct answer. Did a bunch of late work last week and fell asleep in the drat thing. I woke up feeling rested.

+1 for the Markus chair. Ive had one for a year or two now and its one of those chairs you can spend 10hrs sitting in, then get up and not fall over cos your legs and back still work.

I discovered the other day that i can wear size 87 pants again! Ive been 92R for about 10 years now, but between the bulk walking (20-30K steps a day), not often being able to stop for lunch and the stress of the new job Im down about 7kg since feb!

Its not the HEALTHIEST diet, cos its definitely relying on starvation and stress, but its working?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

STR posted:

To be fair, a lot of places don't have a class D fire extinguisher. And smoke from a lithium ion battery fire is insanely toxic.

Liquid Communism posted:

Regular fire extinguishers ain't going to do poo poo to a lithium ion battery fire, and a Class D extinguisher big enough to take a shot at a burning car starts around $20k. You need a few inches of foam on the fire, not just to deprive the fuel of oxygen briefly.

Actually, Class D would be incorrect for a lithium ion battery fire, there's no elemental lithium that is burning, Class D is for metal fires. Class B would be what you want. Any dry chemical ABC or BC fire extinguisher would be correct to use, but you'd probably need several to put out a car.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 2, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

LOL no computer chair is worth a grand. Not unless it gives you a back rub and a cock massage

What's that saying, something like never compromise on anything that's between you and the ground?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KakerMix posted:

What's that saying, something like never compromise on anything that's between you and the ground?

That, or "Every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder."

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Weird looking dog you got there. Or is that a cat?
yes, I know.

Not too far off, could be a polecat or woods-pussy

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I couldn't even imagine spending $1k+ on a god drat chair....until I sat on a Herman Miller Embody.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Anything you're going to be on for an extended amount of time is absolutely worth it.

Shoes, office chairs, beds, etc..., all of these things can get really expensive, but also be totally worth it.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
False Economy is my middle name.

*searches Marketplace for a free mattress*

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Can anyone recommend a good computer chair? preferably a comfortable one that doesn't make my legs fall asleep?
Used furniture, store, buy a herman Miller or something quality.
The difference is amazing.

"I'd never buy $300 shoes"
About my 10 year old allen Edmonds I wear weekly while they buy $50 shoes every 6mo.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 2, 2019

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Passed my exam. Stress level is back to normal. Let the stupid projects continue!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
:toot:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Passed my exam. Stress level is back to normal. Let the stupid projects continue!

Hell yeah! Congratulations! :cheers:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the spyder posted:

Good job Spyder

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think I want a Steelcase Gesture with the headrest but I'm also tempted by the Herman Miller Embody. Either way I want a fair bit of seat time before I spend that much money but I haven't yet found anywhere nearby with either of them. Yeah, they're a lot of money but they last forever and I spend a significant amount of time sitting in front of my computer.

ExplodingSims posted:

And Oregon is just great. There's so much to do. Go to the mountians, go to the beach, go down on the river.
Even just walking around downtown Portland is so much fun. And the weather is amazing. I mean, right now it's hot, but its not unbearable like Florida was.

Also, funnily enough, I meet so many people from Florida here.

Sup newish Oregon resident buddy! I agree that this place is great and there's an amazing amount of cool stuff to do and see out here. I cannot get over how great the weather is. We're most of the way through summer and I haven't wished for the sweet release of death due to heat and humidity even once. Back in Illinois I was miserable for most of spring, all of summer, and most of fall due to the heat and humidity and winter sucked too. Here I can loving ride my bicycle to work in the summer and not be the least bit sweaty when I get there (though my ride is less than a mile and half and I'm only going at a modest pace.) I rode home today when it was 89 out and I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt plus a backpack, helmet, and high vis vest and I was comfortable the whole time. I was slightly sweaty when I got home but that was mostly due to the backpack. Back in Illinois I would have been all sticky and miserable before I even got to the bike rack and my clothes would have been soaked through before I got home.

My apartment's insulation kinda sucks and I don't have AC and it's been fine! How the gently caress is that possible! I feel like I should have died of heat stroke by now being this far into summer without AC but no it's like 72 in my apartment and once the sun sets and I open the windows and turn on the fans it will get it down to about 68 before I go to bed. I did buy the cheapest window AC unit I could and 'installed'* it in my patio door for a couple days to deal with some mid 90* days but in retrospect I really didn't need to and the unit went back in the box and hasn't been used since. It took me a long time to realize that not only does it not get that hot here but it takes a long time to actually heat up and it cools off really fast compared to back home. It was 89 today but I think it was only that temp for like an hour. Most of the day was in the 70s and it will be back down into the 60s in a few hours. I'm so used to most of the day being awful instead of a couple hours of it being hot-ish and the rest being super pleasant.

*I have huge horizontal sliding windows and there are hedges and stuff outside the window so I can't really install a window unit in any sort of reasonable way. I just made a platform on top of some saw horses and put the AC unit on that with the hot bit on the patio and the cold bit inside and blocked off the gap with some rigid foam insulation. It wasn't elegant but it worked for the couple days I needed it and I didn't make any modifications to the apartment.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Time for a Oregoon AI meet up? I'm just south of PDX and work in the pearl.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Galler posted:

I think I want a Steelcase Gesture with the headrest
On the chair configurator, under Fire Code Type dropdown,
"Yes"
"Texas"

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

the spyder posted:

I'm down for it. Meeting Goons is always fun

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I just picked up a 2nd hand GTX 1070 from my mate (cos he upgraded to a 2080 super under the influence of pseudoephidrine and cold medication) and holy poo poo I didn't realise how PRETTY Fallout76 was.

its a big step up from the old GTX 770!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Not too far off, could be a polecat or woods-pussy

:thumbsup:

Blipshift is having a sale. They brought back a pile of designs for the weekend.
https://www.blipshift.com/?utm_sour..._eid=d2edc6610c

I'm seriously considering this one:

Or maybe one of the "World Is Flat" ones, since I own a Subaru now.

nm posted:

Used furniture, store, buy a herman Miller or something quality.
The difference is amazing.

"I'd never buy $300 shoes"
About my 10 year old allen Edmonds I wear weekly while they buy $50 shoes every 6mo.

I didn't want to pay more than $30 until I got a hold of a pair of Doc Marten dress shoes. First "dress" shoes I've ever had that were comfortable enough to wear daily. And those were used. I've had them almost a decade, and wore them to work for at least half of that every other day. I find Sketchers to be a decent value in casual shoes, especially since we've got an outlet very nearby. Those memory foam insoles are comfy.

the spyder posted:

Congrats! Nice to know you're smarter than you thing, eh? :haw:

You guys have got me thinking about moving to ORegon, BTW. Wife want cooler than TX, I want as little winter as possible. Cheap is good, too.
How are computer janitor jobs out there?

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

the spyder posted:

I come down to PDX every so often for work... always enjoy Gustav's.

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Aug 2, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Darchangel posted:

You guys have got me thinking about moving to ORegon, BTW. Wife want cooler than TX, I want as little winter as possible. Cheap is good, too.
How are computer janitor jobs out there?

There are definitely no computer janitor jobs between San Francisco and the Communist Canadian border, don't move to the PNW, it rains 360 days a year!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
check out this sweet TV I bought

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Soarer!

*edit: just noticing how very closely the layout of the centre console matches the mk3 Supra...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That dash is a celebration of plastic, holy poo poo.

Sorry about the e/n but here and one discord server are pretty much the only social media I use anymore and it feels stupid with the huge poo poo some of you guys are going through.

This is a safe space to bitch and moan to your fellow dudes. :glomp: