Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

There are definitely no computer janitor jobs between San Francisco and the Communist Canadian border, don't move to the PNW, it rains 360 days a year!

I feel like this might be misinformation, but I can’t put my finger on it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I feel like this might be misinformation, but I can’t put my finger on it...

You're right, it rains 365 days a year here. And it snowed more than once! And squatch lives here!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Maksimus54 posted:

And squatch lives here!

I do not, I live in Florida :colbert:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 2, 2019

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Soarer!

*edit: just noticing how very closely the layout of the centre console matches the mk3 Supra...

I mean it kind of IS a serious boy's version of a mk3 Supra, down to the 7M-GTE :smuggo:

Suburban Dad posted:

That dash is a celebration of plastic, holy poo poo.

This is a safe space to bitch and moan to your fellow dudes. :glomp:

Yeah but it's 80s luxury soft felt covered plastic.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

You guys have got me thinking about moving to ORegon, BTW. Wife want cooler than TX, I want as little winter as possible. Cheap is good, too.
How are computer janitor jobs out there?

As a native Oregonian: Stay out. (Kidding, mostly). It’s hard to welcome people when our infrastructure is crumbling and barely supports the additional traffic. It’s added an hour to my commute over the past 5 years.
Portland keeps making working in downtown less desirable. They announced last week they are doubling the street parking cost and considering taxing drivers who commute into downtown. It’s nuts!
Cheap went away about 8 years ago. IT Jobs are plentiful due to the inrush of former Bay Area companies. You don’t have to work in down town, there’s tons of jobs around Intel and Nike. But they too are suffering from too much growth. I’m also worrying about what nutso environmental regulations our current governor will try to put in. WA is removing emissions testing, while we seem to be doubling down.

My one true pissoff is the damage being done by tourists to the local forests. Our favorite spots are being literally trashed. Visiting what once was a quiet trail to a Falls is now like waiting in line. People aren’t taking their trash out. Even the camp grounds out by my parents cabin are now lottery entry.

Add this with the overall meh car world here, it’s just an ok place to live. But I’m definitely turning into a grumpy old man. /rant

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

All this PNW chat has me a little homesick, I grew up southwest of Portland and moved away to Colorado in 1999. My immediate family still all lives there so we vacation there twice a year to visit. My daughter starts her senior year of high school in 2 weeks, and she wants to go to college somewhere in the northwest. Regardless, unless she stays in Colorado, I'll be moving back to Oregon next fall to wind down the clock with my 82 year old dad. So see you next year Oregoons.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Started the claims process with AAA for my torched BMW and Aprilia. They will both be writeoffs. The AAA adjuster sent two DMV documents for e-signing that appear to be stating I am not retaining the vehicles.

The motorcycle is a pile of glowing slag ala Chernobyl and I don't plan on trying to salvage anything from the BMW (engine is sadly still perfect...), but am I correct in holding off on signing ANYTHING until I have seen payout amounts and agreed to them? Because that is my gut feeling.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My sister lives in Portland, as does one of my oldest friends. I lived in Salem for a few months a billion years ago. I need to find time to visit there again.

Anyways, my water well thing works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92XbXPeGYP0

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Started the claims process with AAA for my torched BMW and Aprilia. They will both be writeoffs. The AAA adjuster sent two DMV documents for e-signing that appear to be stating I am not retaining the vehicles.

The motorcycle is a pile of glowing slag ala Chernobyl and I don't plan on trying to salvage anything from the BMW (engine is sadly still perfect...), but am I correct in holding off on signing ANYTHING until I have seen payout amounts and agreed to them? Because that is my gut feeling.

I’m not a chat thread regular, what happened to your bike and car? :stare: Also, I’m not sure how this works normally but are they asking you to sign the documents saying you aren’t holding on to them for spare parts / resale? They may not want to quote you on what the payment will be until then, but it seems kinda weird to have you sign something up front like that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Finally got the payout for my car from Geico.....Over three weeks later. That gecko can eat a bag of dicks.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Depending on your state and the age of the vehicle, you might have the right of first refusal for buying back a totalled vehicle. Going through contracts and relevant laws is always good practice before signing, so good gut feeling, I suppose

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Finally got the payout for my car from Geico.....Over three weeks later. That gecko can eat a bag of dicks.

That's brutal. When my subaru got written off, the adjuster showed up like 3 days after i filed a claim, looked over the car, and wrote me a cheque on the spot.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I’m not a chat thread regular, what happened to your bike and car? :stare: Also, I’m not sure how this works normally but are they asking you to sign the documents saying you aren’t holding on to them for spare parts / resale? They may not want to quote you on what the payment will be until then, but it seems kinda weird to have you sign something up front like that.

Garage fire :( Photos posted near the end of last months' chat thread. I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

I replied to her email with more detailed info and recent photos of the vehicles (thank god I detailed them both and took glamour shots last year).

The Door Frame posted:

Depending on your state and the age of the vehicle, you might have the right of first refusal for buying back a totalled vehicle. Going through contracts and relevant laws is always good practice before signing, so good gut feeling, I suppose

I'm in CA. I considered talking to the guys at my BMW shop and seeing if they wanted a clean I6 but decided I don't really want to deal with all that.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Car game: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3895275&pagenumber=2

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Garage fire :( Photos posted near the end of last months' chat thread. I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

I replied to her email with more detailed info and recent photos of the vehicles (thank god I detailed them both and took glamour shots last year).

Holy poo poo, I’m glad your family and pets were okay. Cars and bikes can be replaced, family members can’t. :(

Shame about your Dad’s gorgeous old cars. I won’t pretend to know what the wood-paneled beauty is, but I hope it can be restored.

Also yeah the more I’m thinking about it, the more it seems they want you to sign that you’re not selling parts off of the cars before signing them over, because they may intend to sell the BMW motor to the junkyard. :shrug: I’d imagine with rarer machines with particularly desirable motors that parting the car out can net you a pretty penny, and the insurance company wants that to offset their expenses. Who knows, though, still seems like they should be able to easily quote you a “you keep it and scrap it” payout and a “we take it all” payout.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

As a native Oregonian: Stay out. (Kidding, mostly). It’s hard to welcome people when our infrastructure is crumbling and barely supports the additional traffic. It’s added an hour to my commute over the past 5 years.
Portland keeps making working in downtown less desirable. They announced last week they are doubling the street parking cost and considering taxing drivers who commute into downtown. It’s nuts!
Cheap went away about 8 years ago. IT Jobs are plentiful due to the inrush of former Bay Area companies. You don’t have to work in down town, there’s tons of jobs around Intel and Nike. But they too are suffering from too much growth. I’m also worrying about what nutso environmental regulations our current governor will try to put in. WA is removing emissions testing, while we seem to be doubling down.

My one true pissoff is the damage being done by tourists to the local forests. Our favorite spots are being literally trashed. Visiting what once was a quiet trail to a Falls is now like waiting in line. People aren’t taking their trash out. Even the camp grounds out by my parents cabin are now lottery entry.

Add this with the overall meh car world here, it’s just an ok place to live. But I’m definitely turning into a grumpy old man. /rant

Thanks, that’s actually good info along the lines I need. We wouldn’t be moving until late 2020 at the very earliest. My daughter starts her senior year of high school end of this month, and I won’t uproot her in the middle of that, not to mention job stuff and deciding if moving is even possible. Seems like every place/state has its drawbacks.

We’re having a few issues here in DFW with “furriners” moving in from other states as the area is pretty attractive to a lot of businesses for taxes, cost of living, etc. at some point the COL will rise because of it, and traffic is definitely getting crappy here. I retire (hopefully) in another 15 years or so, so maybe then if not now.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ferrari definitely is concerned about how they are perceived: Bloomberg link

quote:

Plein has posted photos on Instagram featuring a pair of bikini-clad women suggestively gyrating atop an acid-green Ferrari while the designer douses the proceedings with a garden hose. Another series showed Plein’s sparkly footwear arrayed on the hood of his 12-cylinder Ferrari 812 Superfast....A law firm representing the Italian company quickly dispatched a letter demanding Plein take the pictures down within 48 hours, calling them “distasteful” and incompatible with its image. Ferrari also pointed out that displaying Plein’s sneakers on its cars would hurt shoe labels already affiliated with the carmaker. “This behavior tarnishes the reputation of Ferrari’s brands,” the letter said.

LMAO. What a hill to die on from the prancing horse.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I love how loving precious Ferrari are.

I bet Koenigsegg would just tweet a challenge that if the car hasn't logged some 200mph+ runs on the ECU by next service, he'll hang him upside down over a pit of laser-equipped sharks or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Pretty sure I'd tell Ferrari to go gently caress themselves, publicly, using exactly those words, and possibly a few gestures. Particularly if I had the money to, you know, buy Ferraris.
gently caress you, they're MY cars. Once I pay for them, they're MINE, and you can go pound sand.

What kind of an "image" is "the company that will condemn and sue you if you don't use they're cars in exactly the way they want you to", AKA "prissy petulant babies"?

edit: I'd also be tempted to replace the prancing horses with the Volvo prancing mooses or something. Prancing penises. Penises with a prancing horse on them! Oh, wait, that's a Ferrari to begin with...

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 2, 2019

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Spending a few days along the coast in northern Michigan and I have never seen so many American cars/Corvettes in my life.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Darchangel posted:

Pretty sure I'd tell Ferrari to go gently caress themselves, publicly, using exactly those words, and possibly a few gestures. Particularly if I had the money to, you know, buy Ferraris.
gently caress you, they're MY cars. Once I pay for them, they're MINE, and you can go pound sand.

What kind of an "image" is "the company that will condemn and sue you if you don't use they're cars in exactly the way they want you to", AKA "prissy petulant babies"?

edit: I'd also be tempted to replace the prancing horses with the Volvo prancing mooses or something. Prancing penises. Penises with a prancing horse on them! Oh, wait, that's a Ferrari to begin with...

I mean this isn't the first time that people have flaunted (perceived?) wealth with super cars and exposed flesh. Isn't that what all the hip hop and rap people that made it(?) in the early 2000's try to show us all?

fake edit: while fact checking where my mind was going I was remembering Deadmau5 had a Nyan cat wrapped Lamborghini but it was in fact a Ferrari who also sent a cease and desist letter :rolleyes:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is beautifully ridiculous.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm not sure how sending someone a cease and desist for the use of something they own outright can possibly work. They'd get laughed out of a US court. God, I hope so, at least.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Somewhat Heroic posted:

HAHAHAHAHA are Ferrari for loving real here? Thats dude is EXACTLY what Ferrari's image is. Any judge who is capable of breathing is going to tell Ferrari to gently caress off.

Honestly I hope that dude doubles down and give Ferrari a huge gently caress you

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
This isn't new news for Ferrari.
Haven't any of you heard of the Purrari?

https://jalopnik.com/ferrari-sent-deadmau5-a-cease-and-desist-about-his-purr-1627640534

Ferrari NA sent Deadmau5 a C&D

So then he trolled them with a Lambo.
https://jalopnik.com/deadmau5s-nyanborghini-purracan-is-for-sale-you-guys-1818734998

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darchangel posted:

Im not going to defend Ferrari as a brand but this sounds a bit demented to me

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Ferrari emblem on the hood of a Lambo

I bet the Lambo dealership would find it hilarious

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dang ol' dang

You want a shoulder workout, get high and go logging for 6 hours in farm simulator with a wheel with the force feedback cranked up.

Kazinsal posted:

Ferrari emblem on the hood of a Lambo

I bet the Lambo dealership would find it hilarious

Sneak into the lambo dealerships at night, and rebadge the lambos as ferraris. 3 days later do the inverse at the ferrari dealer, then sneak into the lambo dealer and spraypaint a prancing horse everywhere, then a few days later spraypaint a raging bull on the ferrari dealer.

Get them into a war.

Italian companies are only really worthwhile when they're trying to force a different italian company out of business.I know, i know, i know, audi audi audi

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

Update: They're eforms of the DMV title transfer paperwork from me to AAA and some further salvage title forms with their name on it. I viewed them but didn't sign anything yet.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Italian companies are only really worthwhile when they're trying to force a different italian company out of business.I know, i know, i know, audi audi audi

All you have to do to get Italians to stab each other in the street is to send an email from the Ferrari salesman to the Lamborghini salesman calling his mother's pasta overcooked.

I wish it weren't true, but it is.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Well this got lost in the depression shuffle of the last thread,
But I'm super loving happy about it so uts getting reposted

Dude congrats. For real. Glad you're in a good place.

In other other news, the thread title is appropriate for what I've got going on atm. Last Thursday I contacted a recommended contractor for quotes to build on some (completely self supported) lean-tos to my shop. I heard from him this Wednesday and clarified what I wanted, sent drawings and site pictures.

Yesterday he called me mid-day and asked "how soon did you want to start this?"

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

30x24 is done except for trim, 40x12 is up next.
e: spelling

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 3, 2019

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Residency Evil posted:

Spending a few days along the coast in northern Michigan and I have never seen so many American cars/Corvettes in my life.

Did you find anything interesting to rent out this way? I remember you asking, but Turo around here is pretty lame and I didn’t know of any other similar services. Were you on the western coast? Traverse city area is beautiful and has some hill-side twisties that are kind of fun for driving and have amazing views of the vineyards and Lake Michigan. American cars everywhere is kind of the Michigan thing, too. Don’t usually see anything else unless you’re in Ann Arbor where for some reason everything turns into Honda’s and Porsche’s. Did you get to see any of the C8’s, widebody Chargers or GT500’s driving around? I’ve been seeing them around quite a bit lately.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Modus Man posted:

Did you find anything interesting to rent out this way? I remember you asking, but Turo around here is pretty lame and I didn’t know of any other similar services. Were you on the western coast? Traverse city area is beautiful and has some hill-side twisties that are kind of fun for driving and have amazing views of the vineyards and Lake Michigan. American cars everywhere is kind of the Michigan thing, too. Don’t usually see anything else unless you’re in Ann Arbor where for some reason everything turns into Honda’s and Porsche’s. Did you get to see any of the C8’s, widebody Chargers or GT500’s driving around? I’ve been seeing them around quite a bit lately.

Yup, still here on the northern/western coast. Didn't end up getting anything fun on Turo this time, just a regular rental. I've been looking for the C8 driving around but haven't spotted anything beyond a ton of C7s.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, still here on the northern/western coast. Didn't end up getting anything fun on Turo this time, just a regular rental. I've been looking for the C8 driving around but haven't spotted anything beyond a ton of C7s.

Gotta be in SE Michigan to see the M plates driving around.

Modus Man posted:

American cars everywhere is kind of the Michigan thing, too.

It's like a bubble up here. Leave the state and it's like "oh, this is how the rest of the country is."

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

angryrobots posted:

Dude congrats. For real. Glad you're in a good place.

In other other news, the thread title is appropriate for what I've got going on atm. Last Thursday I contacted a recommended contactor for quotes to build on some (completely self supported) lean-tos to my shop. I heard from him this Wednesday and clarified what I wanted, sent drawings and site pictures.

Yesterday he called me mid-day and asked "how soon did you want to start this?"

:stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

30x24 is done except for trim, 40x12 is up next.

That dude gets poo poo done! It's great when you find someone who's just good at what they do.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ripoff posted:

Holy poo poo, I’m glad your family and pets were okay. Cars and bikes can be replaced, family members can’t. :(

Shame about your Dad’s gorgeous old cars. I won’t pretend to know what the wood-paneled beauty is, but I hope it can be restored.

Also yeah the more I’m thinking about it, the more it seems they want you to sign that you’re not selling parts off of the cars before signing them over, because they may intend to sell the BMW motor to the junkyard. :shrug: I’d imagine with rarer machines with particularly desirable motors that parting the car out can net you a pretty penny, and the insurance company wants that to offset their expenses. Who knows, though, still seems like they should be able to easily quote you a “you keep it and scrap it” payout and a “we take it all” payout.

I thought about whether anything from my Mercedes was salvageable for about 5 seconds and then decided welp Copart feel free to come pick this up, have at it.

I’m going to go pull the plate off of it though.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Gotta keep one of those wheels as a coffee table base or something no??

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Gotta keep one of those wheels as a coffee table base or something no??

They're these so that's not a bad idea. Someone or someones have been going through what little poo poo is identifiable in that garage as of late so maybe they just disappeared, who the gently caress knows. My impact gun and breaker bars were in the garage though so I am somewhat ineffective in this pursuit at the moment.

PS, gently caress you looters

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I remembered they were high-end forged wheels that cost a hilarious amount each. Would make a good "gently caress You" to the fire/keep the AMG's spirit alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tremek posted:

They're these so that's not a bad idea. Someone or someones have been going through what little poo poo is identifiable in that garage as of late so maybe they just disappeared, who the gently caress knows. My impact gun and breaker bars were in the garage though so I am somewhat ineffective in this pursuit at the moment.

PS, gently caress you looters

Wait hold on here; your charred remnants are getting actually legit looted? What/where the hell is this? :berninator:

(lol at that emoticon btw)

I can smell that burnt garage smell from here man, sorry