Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hi thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Can anyone recommend a good computer chair? preferably a comfortable one that doesn't make my legs fall asleep?

I got a comfy and cheap one from Staples. Can't remember any other time I've bought something there. :thunk:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That dash is a celebration of plastic, holy poo poo.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Sorry about the e/n but here and one discord server are pretty much the only social media I use anymore and it feels stupid with the huge poo poo some of you guys are going through.

This is a safe space to bitch and moan to your fellow dudes. :glomp:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, still here on the northern/western coast. Didn't end up getting anything fun on Turo this time, just a regular rental. I've been looking for the C8 driving around but haven't spotted anything beyond a ton of C7s.

Gotta be in SE Michigan to see the M plates driving around.

Modus Man posted:

American cars everywhere is kind of the Michigan thing, too.

It's like a bubble up here. Leave the state and it's like "oh, this is how the rest of the country is."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

bolind posted:

It's brand new, I'll be leasing, and won't be getting a slushbox, but thanks for the headsup anyway.

I have no idea, I can see many good arguments for not having it. But my 12 year old E87 BMW has it, and it's godsend in two scenarios: when wanting to fit five people in the car and not wanting a modern car seat to take up half the rear seat, and when needing to fold the rears seats and transport a sprog. Granted, the last one doesn't happen very often, but the first one does.

Fake edit: or when driving said sprog alone and wanting some interaction. My almost-two-year-old loves being in the front.

My 01 Silverado had latch achors on the front passenger seat and a keyed (literally had to insert the key and turn the lock) switch to turn off the passenger airbag, but otherwise I've never seen it either. It's not the safest place the put the kiddies which is probably why.

Sure would be nice and make my next vehicle choice easier (I'd just keep my current car).

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

You too can heal from a traumatic rear end accident.

Some things you can't walk away from.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

You guys who can ride bikes to work etc. are lucky.

Amen. Wife and I work in opposite directions from home, each about 1/2 hour by car. No way I could bike there (2 hours 40 minutes according to google, each way). America is just too drat big.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

fridge corn posted:

This forum did a lot to encourage this sort of behaviour

Yep, it was quite sad. His threads seemed like a weird cry for help/attention, crowd funded by goons.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Something not all salesmen seem to grok.

fake edit: holy poo poo the spell check didn't red-line "grok." My internal old nerd is pleased.

I like sci fi but couldn't finish that book. Made it halfway through before reading the Wikipedia plot summary. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That is extremely sad about the insurance portion, but at least she's feeling better.

I want our country to be less broken but I'm not really optimistic about it actually happening (on a million different fronts). It's a bummer, man.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

May you live happily ever after. Grats

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Congrats CT!

To bring August back down, #4 is here and doing well. Now, to call that Urologist...

(I swear the name Finnegan is not inspired from YT’er of roadkill fame. Just an amusing coincidence)

Grats to you too! Ours (#2) is due any day now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

Dude is a really good songwriter, probably better than 95% percent of pop punk/emo bands, despite how juvenile the lyrics can be (they own)

The other 5% is Motion City Soundtrack who make the most delightfully upbeat songs about having alcoholism.

I still give them a listen every now and then. I got tired of listening to the same music that I've liked since college, so I listen to way more podcasts now instead. :geno:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I was planning on keeping AAA for whatever I car I get next, but I guess I will need to do some shopping around. Which insurance companies have you AI folk had good experiences with?

USAA is my rec, if you're eligible. I've never had any claims otherwise besides windshields (with other providers), but had one with USAA when we hit a coyote. Not a single hitch, even when the shop had to do some rework at my request (bit of overspray). I like the policy changes you can tweak online at any time and be told right away how your rate/payment is affected.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Another example of how poorly things are ran at the IRS:

My identity was stolen, and somebody filed taxes using my info. I filed anyway in April, and owed a bit so I sent a check. Turns out I forgot a signature on one of the forms, so they were sent back in late June, but they cashed the check anyway. I resent the forms in again in early July with all the T's crossed and I's dotted. Well, they sent me a letter and a refund with interest on the check I sent in for ??? reasons. I called them again yesterday to get it squared away and owed them the original amount, but "may be charged interest since it's past the deadline" but for now was told I owed the same amount as the original check. They couldn't confirm on the phone whether I'd owe more in interest, so I'll find that out later I guess? I tried to pay right then while still talking to them, but using their own site I could not pay because "failed to verify identity" :v: so then I had to use a 3rd party site listed there (that charges a fee vs using their site for free) to pay my balance. What a clusterfuck.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Both wife and I are on the same page about not acquiring too much poo poo and hoarding. Regular trips to Salvation Army are what we try to do. With kids, we're finding out it's a bit harder since they seem to need so much poo poo. But at least we're not like her coworkers that literally have a basement filled with toys that are strung out everywhere. :v: Or like the houses we see in the neighborhood that have the garage door open and poo poo is just piled to the ceiling. Our house isn't super huge (tiny basement, 3BR) so there's not much room or storage for excess crap. I like it that way, forces us to think about if we really need something in the first place.

Granted we're building onto the garage for more parking and storage but I don't think it'll change a whole lot. Hopefully.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

(calling it now, 7 :sever: replies to this)

You're so deep in the well now I'm not sure if the pee is making it down there anymore. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I hate gardening and landscaping and so does wife so I do it all. Ihave just become ok with it looking like poo poo. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Worth it for the dog pics alone.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

the spyder posted:

I need suggestions on how to break out of a funk. I haven't left the couch outside of work for like 3 days. Family's out of town and I just can't get motivated. It's cutting into my beekeeping duties/car stuff/hanging out with friends. I can be super productive one day then a slug the next. Getting tired of it.

Get some exercise and fresh air. And then muster up the effort to do a project or whatever for only 5-10 minutes. If you want to stop after, do so. But more than likely once you start you'll continue. Just getting over that first hump is the hardest sometimes.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All modernish used cars are expensive. I can't even find a decent family hauler with lower miles when my one requirement option wise is heated seats. Cars in general are just too much money.

Where's the modern day Henry Ford we need that sees the advantage of having his employees be able to actually afford their cars? :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Suburban dad of two now. Let the adventure begin! (Again)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 25, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:toot: congrats on the new sex trophy. I’m probably getting snipped next month. I’m done with three.

Already had the first appointment made for that before this one came. :v: Two is plenty.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Americans: "but the UK doesn't get hot"

Sorry we ruined your (and everybody else's) climate.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Still running an old 2500k overclocked to 4.3. I had to turn it down recently after getting more and more blue screens. It's fine for gaming and I'm amazed how decent it still is today. Going strong since 2011! Granted I've updated everything else since then...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tremek posted:

Beach Bum: sounds like you both need to work on communication; you being weird and evasive about your dad’s situation probably didn’t help, but her lack of understanding (I mean c’mon - it’s your parent) also sucks. Side note, you’re not in college, “roommate” has juvenile implications, probably better to phrase that differently to any/all.

With that said I’m astounded that she doesn’t contribute to the mortgage unless that’s how you see the $200/mo. This person sounds coddled.

The dog thing is also dumb considering she has to know you have a dog, and that said dog needs help? Moving in together and adopting cats all in a 6 month period are yellow flags at best. This kind of drama may well be portents of things to come IMO. :( I sense a lack of empathy and an increased sense of narcissism on her part, and you may be an enabler. Consider counseling/therapy, or maybe just :sever: as none of this will just get better on its own, you’ll need effort from both parties.

KillHour posted:

Yeah, but she doesn't even know it's his dad. I feel like if you're dating and living with this person, she has a right to know this stuff. I'd be bothered as hell if my GF said "someone might need to live with us for a while and I can't tell you who." Like, if you don't trust her to not go out and tell everyone about it, you shouldn't be dating or living with her.

Edit: to be honest, 3 months is way too soon to move in together. You're still treating her like a roommate instead of a partner and she doesn't appreciate it.

Combination of what's already been posted. This doesn't sound like a good situation, and her being young/poor/whatever and not having another place to go she could feel a little trapped without much control of her situation. You have to be up front and communicate if you expect any of this to work out. It sounds like a touchy situation with the work aspect but this is your partner, not a roommate. If you can't trust her with this info (to keep quiet about it) then there are probably deeper issues.

The dog thing is probably just her already being pissed in the first place and just one more thing to be mad about. Resolve problem one first and deal with this later, IMO.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

You just described a $10 bluetooth dongle and $5 for torque pro

Kinda. The rate of data on from the OBD-II might not be sufficient for gauges. Which is why

Darchangel posted:

There are aftermarket dashes, but they all seem to be expensive as hell and all kinds of proprietary, not to mention no where near as customizable.

HandlingByJebus posted:

Be kind to people, it's just the right thing to do. Sometimes they'll really surprise you.

Good folks on these here forums. :)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tremek posted:

What can sometimes be harder to deal with is decoding which PIDs represent what data, and what scale the values are on.

With the right tools, this is easy for basic signals at least. Did some of this when I was green(er) doing competitive testing. :) What is difficult also is that not everything is mandated to be streamed to the ALDL, and more and more parameters are added every year at an exponential rate. Oh, and the manufacturers that have separate diagnostic ports hidden away under panels that we needed to use because they were less secure with generic (AKA not their manufacturer) tools.

The rate thing bugs me because I was used to 100 hz for anything I wanted in previous work, so 5-10 hz looks like garbage in comparison. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Dumb question for someone with RHD. Are the pedals still in the same order as LHD? That is, clutch in the left, brake in the middle, accelerator on the right?

Yeah everything is backwards. Even the steering is inverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We have a Bosch -- 800 series? -- and other than the way it dries we love it also. And holy crap, is it quiet.

Pretty much same experience I've had. Old dishwasher had a dying motor that made it loud as gently caress so we wanted something whisper quiet. Very pleased so far.