Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

And because no ones ever shown off at a drag strip and punted it into the wall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This is the correct answer. Did a bunch of late work last week and fell asleep in the drat thing. I woke up feeling rested.

+1 for the Markus chair. Ive had one for a year or two now and its one of those chairs you can spend 10hrs sitting in, then get up and not fall over cos your legs and back still work.

I discovered the other day that i can wear size 87 pants again! Ive been 92R for about 10 years now, but between the bulk walking (20-30K steps a day), not often being able to stop for lunch and the stress of the new job Im down about 7kg since feb!

Its not the HEALTHIEST diet, cos its definitely relying on starvation and stress, but its working?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I just picked up a 2nd hand GTX 1070 from my mate (cos he upgraded to a 2080 super under the influence of pseudoephidrine and cold medication) and holy poo poo I didn't realise how PRETTY Fallout76 was.

its a big step up from the old GTX 770!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

6hrs later, both cars fit in the workshop again.

Taking bets on how long it is before they're parked out on the street again! Last time it was a week!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

On a less down note, I have a random question. Does anyone remember which episode, or even which build, from the Skid Factory that Al goes on a long rant about coolant emptying, flushing, and filling? I want to send it to someone whose heat sucks in winter and engine temp runs dangerously high in summer traffic

Its from the VL turbo build series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxPyVOiMKQo

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Double posting because yolo - I had posted in here a while back looking for better USB-C cords because they wouldn't stay plugged in to my Pixel 2, changing cords didn't help so I finally googled it and found the correct fix. Lint had built up in the USB-C port, and while you could press the cord in enough to charge, it wouldn't let the cord get in far enough to lock into place. Every time you pushed the cord in, any lint hanging out got pushed farther back and more compacted. I spent 5 mins with a staple just scraping out all the lint (there's more than you can see at first), and now I can hang my phone from the original cable and it won't fall out.

Never had this problem with any phone before, must be something about the dimensions of the USB-C port.

Its been a bit of a known issue with iPhones with the lightning port for a long time too- Its something about that port dimension because the old 30 pin connector didnt accumulate like that and USB doesnt because of the little plastic protrusion in it.

Im cleaning sawdust out of my iphone charge port at least once a week because of my job.

In other news, Im looking at a THIRD battery system for my landcruiser, supplemented with a solar array. Apparently running dual 40L fridges (one as a -18c freezer) as well as all the other camp lights and things is too much for a single 100AH battery, so im going to up my 2nd battery capacity to 200AH by adding another battery, then dropping 200w of solar into the mix so when im parked up camping I can keep my beers ice cold.

Im also thinking of strapping a 110w panel onto the roof rack and just keeping it wired up 24/7 so when im parked at work it keeps the batteries topped up

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

If its not anything fancy like an Optima or an AGM or Lithium then yeah, they shouldnt be that expensive.

Unless you Live in Australia. Where an Optima Yellowtop is a $450 battery...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

They start at $325 (about $360 for you) here.

They WERE $600-700 6 or so years ago, but then someone else got an import licence for them so theres actually some competition in the market now. Im dreading having to replace batteries in my rig once I get the third one setup.... $450 Optima Yellowtop crank and then dual 100AH Powersonic Deep Cycle AGM's at $400 a pop...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

If her name is Katie and from Ft McMurray - Run don't walk

Or Katie from letterkenny....

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

everdave posted:

18 months later my ex wife still hasn’t got the Prius out of my name as demanded by the judge

Isn’t that where you ring up and cancel the registration if it’s still in your name?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

I get the feeling that's where you end up with johnny law at your door asking why you were driving an unregistered vehicle several cities over.

Forgot that it’s the US. Over here you’d either get pulled over by a cop and get a please explain or you go through a camera and get a letter and a fine in the mail and you just sign a statutory declaration that you don’t own the loving thing any more, here’s the paperwork from the judge go see my ex.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah sometimes it's that simple, ordered a brother-DCP-L3510CDW. Let's see how long the 1000 page starter toners last.

E: daughter just made up a "swan dance" and wanted music to dance to, run to the hills it is kiddo :black101:

We got a legit 1000+ pages out of the starter toners on our brother colour laser multifunction. My missus is a teacher so it gets thrashed- we’ve easily fed it 4-5 boxes of paper reams so far and never had any issue with the machine. Had one black genuine toner cartridge that reported being empty after 200 pages but Officeworks replaced that one no questions asked.

We’ve started to use the Keytek aftermarket toners in it because they’re $60-100 cheaper per cartridge than the genuine ones and they’ve been flawless.

On music chat, the black keys newest album is pretty drat good. It’s got some great tracks on it to crank up in the car and drive too.

In other news, I might be trying to work out who I need to beg too bout getting my old job back.... the new job isn’t anything like what the job and persons specs said it would be and every time I try to implement a suggestion to improve things I get shouted down because of a mountain of “what If” scenarios... it’s crap, I hate it, I loathe going to work and I feel like I’m living to work, which is poo poo.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Rammstein is a must for me before I or they get too old to rock out.

Could you ever get to that age? Till Lindermann is nearly 60 and rocks out harder than most 20yr olds!

We’ve decided it doesn’t matter where they perform when they come to Australia in the next few years, we’re gonna catch at least one, probably two of their concerts.

I’m not driving to Perth tho. gently caress that!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Humphreys posted:

Yeah Perth is 100% out for me, even though I have a few old army buddies there I havent seen in 17 years. I could probably fly around the world cheaper than over to Perth. I'm guessing you are Melb or Radelaide?

Radelaide, They came here for the Big Day Out and packed out the main stage at the showgrounds, so theres hope they come over for it.

I do have 3 months long service leave banked up, so the idea of driving Adelaide->Brisbane (concert) Brisbane -> Sydney (Concert) and Sydney to Melbourne (concert) then back home again isnt totally out of the question.

It would legitimately be cheaper than flying tho, cos we can load the truck up with swags and camping poo poo and just tour our way down the coast staying for free or in unpowered sites vs flying and having to pay for hotel rooms.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

:eyepop: Thats mindblowing how much that bike has melted down to a pile of slag!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Its the toyota tax plus trucks and SUVs holding value stupidly well anymore. The only exception seems to be the sequoia for whatever reason.

Toyota tax is GREAT when your looking to sell one, it sucks arse if your trying to buy one...

I paid $53,000 for a 5yr, 106K km old landcruiser 100 series that cost $72K new and that was an AVERAGE priced one.

2005-2006 HDJ100 landcruisers are still selling for $35-50K

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Don't remind me, I'm still trying to find the raunchiest HDJ101 organ donor in Japan.

Theres shitloads of 80 and some of the 100 series that must be starting to not be able to easily pass the Shaken any more and are being wrecked and parted out because there are guys importing CONTAINERS of 1HD-T, 1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE motors into Australia.

And they're asking $10-12K for a motor of unknown origin and service history of course...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I must be getting old... I actually paid for an adobe product (their photography suite) on creative cloud because it was just simpler to throw $14 a month at Adobe than to try and get a pirated version working.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Coincidently, Asking lightroom to import nearly 30,000 Canon 7D raws and then make a copy on your server is Sloooooooow.. even with a gigabit link between server and PC

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Amazing. I thought my 48bhp/750kg was 'bad'...

We’ve got a lawnmower at work with a better power to weight ratio than that Austin...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, tho some of them are getting so loving stupid expensive here- I’ve seen 400k km old HDJ100 wrecks that look like they tumbled down a mountain go for $20K + at auction

On a side note, If you haven’t seen Rocketman yet, it’s an absolutely FANTASTIC movie. It’s right up there with Bohemian Rhapsody

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Unrelated: Pi-Hole. Heard of this through an LTT video, and seems really cool. Cool enough I may set it up to run DNS for my whole network. On the one hand, I do'nt terribly mind all the goofy youtube ads for the channels I like, but getting rid of the eye clutter of some of the garbage websites I run across trying to find other things? man... that's sorely tempting.

I’ve got it running at my place off our server- I have zero idea how it works or how it’s set up because my mate who manages that server did it but it’s really efficient- kills a tonne of ads and also works great on the YouTube ads too- and cos it’s DNS level it means it works on your mobile devices too- I don’t get ads on ether my iPhone or iPad watching the toob.

Can be a bit angry at some sites tho and not let you through but there is an option to whitelist poo poo

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Lol my mates spare car has been out the front of my house and not moved for two months and no one has said a peep about it! The council just drives the street sweeper around it.

I’m still rocking a 2600k with 16gb of Ram as my main PC... had that thing since the 2600k was first released and all I’ve done to it is throw some SSD’s at it and upgraded the graphics cards. Just picked up a cheap EVGA 1070 superclocked and popped that in and it’s woken the thing rift the hell up- had a 4gb 770 in there before

Laptop is a 2012 MacBook Pro. I ripped out the optical drive and moved the original mechanical drive into that spot and put in an SSD as a boot. The screen has a few funny colour splotches in it from... impacts... but it still keeps trucking along.

Tho if I start getting a bit more serious in my videography stuff with the drone and cameras, I might have to consider upgrading something... I’ve got an old Mac Pro 1,1 that’s now running dual quad cores, but they aren’t hyperthreading and it’s too old to run the modern versions of OS X. Maybe look at picking up a cheap Mac Pro 3,1 or 5,1 and build it into a video rig. Would very much prefer to use Final Cut Pro rather than adobe...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well... good news is the issue with the bursitis in my shoulder has cleared up completely after around 3 years...

Just to be replaced with a strained rotator cuff! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

We’ve got fisher paykel pigeon pair fridge and freezers and their dish draw. The fridge and freezer have been rock solid for 5 years now and I’ve got friends who have had the same models for 15yrs now without issue.

The dish drawer has given us a little bit of grief- one of the drawer units blew a controller and heater, but that was down to an assembly fault where a plug wasn’t installed properly and went high resistance and burnt out traces and the heater. It decided to spend a few days last week puking out soapy water from SOMEWHERE at random in the wash cycle but I pulled it apart and cleaned up all the lid seals and the unit and it seemed to calm down again?

Regardless of what brand you get, after market warranties can be worth it- we paid... $600 to get an extra 4 years warranty on the fridge, freezer, washing machine, stove and dishwasher when we got them and it’s paid for itself with the dishwasher repair- 2 callouts for the tech, the controller and the element would have been close to $1K