Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
oh hey! New thread - new truck!

You may commence my ritualistic shaming and lecture me about 'financing a depreciating asset.'
This is my first actual new vehicle.

I'm gonna miss the gently caress out of my trailer mirrors though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
This isn't new news for Ferrari.
Haven't any of you heard of the Purrari?

https://jalopnik.com/ferrari-sent-deadmau5-a-cease-and-desist-about-his-purr-1627640534

Ferrari NA sent Deadmau5 a C&D

So then he trolled them with a Lambo.
https://jalopnik.com/deadmau5s-nyanborghini-purracan-is-for-sale-you-guys-1818734998

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

hit 100 miles :D

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kazinsal posted:

By being in sixth gear (out of ten!) at 22 mph, apparently.

or doing 65mph at 800rpm.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh! also, believe it or not, premium gas actually helps:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ilkhan posted:

Is that the 2.7L? My 3.5EB gets around 15 with my heavy foot. Oops.

lol hell no.
3.5L

I'm sitting at 22mpg despite my attempts at doing worse.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Truck update:
Drove to the beach and got 25mpg the whole way. Even after sitting in traffic on the bridge.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Update:
I figured out how to get worse mileage.

:airquote: Sport Mode :airquote:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tremek posted:

drat son, are you hypermiling that thing or what? Push the long pedal on the right:

Ugh I want that cluster so bad :smith:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

meatpimp posted:

I thought we were going up in August.
I just found out my kid has a heart murmur. So we aren't out out of the woods yet.
Its probably benign, but we get it checked next week.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Maybe I should just let it be, and maybe it will all come back to me? Sing oh January, oh.
Do what you want, but I can't wait to see those February Stars.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The Colour and the Shape is an abnormally good album.

It's been in my top 10 since it was released despite my greatly changing tastes over the last couple decades.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Thirding, I played it on repeat during a cross country road trip. Good stuff.

My new truck doesn't have a CD player and despite many years of streaming I still find it wierd not being able to grab an album off the shelf on my way out the door and listen to it front to back on my way to work.

Even loading an album onto a USB and popping that in just feels cold and disconnected.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KillHour posted:

I know this is probably against the popular opinion, but the one claim I had with Geico went super smooth and the shop they recommended did a great job.

Geico has been great for me too so far. Wife totaled her car, we got a new one like immediately.
Then someone backed into us, and we had to deal with whatever bullshit insurance is recommended by AARP. It took 2 months to fix a dent.
Then someone rear ended us a month ago and we're STILL dealing with USAA trying to get that fixed.

Humphreys posted:

Funnily enough I was in Rockhampton and already seeing Polaris earlier in the month thought I would have a gander at a smaller show. Long story short, signed LP, merch and photos with supporting acts, caught a Polaris Drumstick and a big old gently caress you to my ex on film in an interview for their up coming 'rise of a band' style documentary.

Funny cos she introduced me to the band initially.

Pete and Pete introduced me to the band originally.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Raluek posted:

There is a way to get freebsd to read HFS+, yes. I don't think it's supported out of the box on freenas, but i dont see why you cant make it work.

Hold up, what did you do to that poor LCIII to get it to run OS9?

And don't talk too much poo poo about PPCs, I'm posting this from a G4 Powerbook. It's one of, uh, many.

Darchangel posted:

Thanks, will have to research. Minis use laptop RAM, and not sure if they support ECC.
Might just punt and grab a cheap-ish HP or Lenovo SFF desktop to use. I would grab an USFF (or "micro PC") but my Lacie drives have USB (2.0), FireWire 400/800, and eSATA, so I'd really like to get a FireWire or eSATA card to use in the PC, if possible.
Ugh, this is getting complex.

Hang on. FreeNAS can read HFS+? That might make moving the files a bit easier. I'd prefer to use ZFS for "production", but if I can move from one drive array to another on the same machine, that would be smoother. Though, I guess if it's too much trouble I'll find another way.

I did the same thing to my MBP 2012 when the optical drive poo poo itself. And I realized that I didn't notice for, like months. That SSD boot drive really woke it up.

Mine Pro is a 5,1, if I recall correctly. I have no issue with it other than they are power pigs, and I leave mine on all the time.

Holy poo poo, even I won't go there, even Mac idiot aficionado that I am.
Now, my Mac SE running System 7, or my LCIII running OS9? Heck, yeah - real retro-gaming! I've got *so many* floppies and CDs of '90s Mac games and software.
What? Of course they are perfectly legal backups.

poo poo I had to check and make sure I wasn't in SCHC for a second there.
Speaking of which, is there an NT password reset program for Server 2012? Or am I boned and just have to go find the install media?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ok good to know! I hadn't tried it on win 8 / 2012 so I wasn't sure.
Thanks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
pack the car as full as you can, put the rest in the fridge and tie it to the top of the car.

roll it into the storage unit and shut it.

change the locks on your house and then go on a vacation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://twitter.com/Bringatrailer/status/1167177676546658304?s=19

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

Props to Maui Jim sunglasses.

Had a couple pair that I've had for years (one I keep in the daily use vehicle, 1 for other use) and finally, one of the arms gave way and fell off. The lenses are very tough and scratch resistant, but the lenses on both were scratched enough to be a distraction so I sent both of them in to get repaired.

They were many, many years out of warranty so I had to pay for the repair. So old, the model/serial #s were completely worn off of the arms on both pairs.

So, for the grand sum of $15 inspection fee and $100 for new lenses on a pair, today I received via Fed Ex 2x brand new pair ($230+ :canada: ea) of glasses, complete with hard and soft cases.

Also bought some groceries at noon and stopped by the next door local pizza joint for an awesome $3 slice.

Its been a good day so far. :)

Probably get in a fatal wreck on my way back to the office... good days don't happen to me anymore :(

Maui Jim are fantastic. I've bought the wife 2 pairs now. I'm still good with my RayBans though.

Re: Tool
I always felt a little like a sham.
I liked tool but I wasn't a complete nutfuck fanboy and it seemed like everyone I met who liked Tool was completely obsessed and worshiped Trent as a god. No I mean literally prayed to a Trent shrine complete with candles in the closet while flagellating themselves with copies of Lateralus.

Even decades later, a previous boss was in the "Tool is the best band ever and Trent is God" camp.

Wierds me out because I'm firmly in the "Yeah Tool is just fine by me." camp.

Makes me feel like I can't just casually enjoy the music.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Previa_fun posted:

yeah Trent is p. good in Tool but their drummer Dave Grohl rips

Dave Grohl is my hero.
No pun intended.

He grew up not far from where I did.