Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think I want a Steelcase Gesture with the headrest but I'm also tempted by the Herman Miller Embody. Either way I want a fair bit of seat time before I spend that much money but I haven't yet found anywhere nearby with either of them. Yeah, they're a lot of money but they last forever and I spend a significant amount of time sitting in front of my computer.

ExplodingSims posted:

And Oregon is just great. There's so much to do. Go to the mountians, go to the beach, go down on the river.
Even just walking around downtown Portland is so much fun. And the weather is amazing. I mean, right now it's hot, but its not unbearable like Florida was.

Also, funnily enough, I meet so many people from Florida here.

Sup newish Oregon resident buddy! I agree that this place is great and there's an amazing amount of cool stuff to do and see out here. I cannot get over how great the weather is. We're most of the way through summer and I haven't wished for the sweet release of death due to heat and humidity even once. Back in Illinois I was miserable for most of spring, all of summer, and most of fall due to the heat and humidity and winter sucked too. Here I can loving ride my bicycle to work in the summer and not be the least bit sweaty when I get there (though my ride is less than a mile and half and I'm only going at a modest pace.) I rode home today when it was 89 out and I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt plus a backpack, helmet, and high vis vest and I was comfortable the whole time. I was slightly sweaty when I got home but that was mostly due to the backpack. Back in Illinois I would have been all sticky and miserable before I even got to the bike rack and my clothes would have been soaked through before I got home.

My apartment's insulation kinda sucks and I don't have AC and it's been fine! How the gently caress is that possible! I feel like I should have died of heat stroke by now being this far into summer without AC but no it's like 72 in my apartment and once the sun sets and I open the windows and turn on the fans it will get it down to about 68 before I go to bed. I did buy the cheapest window AC unit I could and 'installed'* it in my patio door for a couple days to deal with some mid 90* days but in retrospect I really didn't need to and the unit went back in the box and hasn't been used since. It took me a long time to realize that not only does it not get that hot here but it takes a long time to actually heat up and it cools off really fast compared to back home. It was 89 today but I think it was only that temp for like an hour. Most of the day was in the 70s and it will be back down into the 60s in a few hours. I'm so used to most of the day being awful instead of a couple hours of it being hot-ish and the rest being super pleasant.

*I have huge horizontal sliding windows and there are hedges and stuff outside the window so I can't really install a window unit in any sort of reasonable way. I just made a platform on top of some saw horses and put the AC unit on that with the hot bit on the patio and the cold bit inside and blocked off the gap with some rigid foam insulation. It wasn't elegant but it worked for the couple days I needed it and I didn't make any modifications to the apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I had a clogged kitchen sink drain on Monday. It was a pain in the rear end to clear because I couldn't snake it since it was past the vent. It's happened before and I could snake the vent with a 50' snake on the roof. That didn't work this time. I had to cap the vent and use compressed air to clear it, but it cleared.

Man. I'm picky about poo poo, I have no idea how this is going to go.

I've done just about every sort of house project possible and plumbing is the only thing I just loving hate dealing with. It always spirals out of control (oh, this valve is dripping occasionally I should fix it. 6 trips to menards and 4 hours later...) and requires working in some awful position with not enough space.
I do it because of your last point (and because I'm cheap) but in the future I'm probably just going to start paying people to deal with it for me.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I leave my oven mitt/glove/pot holder on top of whatever is hot as a reminder that I need it so I don't don't grab the hot thing again.