Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Well, we finally got to meet with my girlfriend's Oncologist on Friday afternoon for the first time. He only had liver biopsy results to go off of, he originally ordered a PET/CT scan to be done before we met with him so we could have as much information as possible, but her insurance pretty much said "nO wHaT iF iT iSnT cAnCeR" and we had to wait until the biopsy came back, which took like four days and pretty much got to the Oncologist right before we met with him.

But the biopsy tells us that it is breast cancer. She just turned 30 on Saturday so she hadn't done mammograms at all because she isn't in the "at risk" age group. The Oncologist is great, his nursing team are great, and we have a "nurse navigator" who is helping us schedule appointments, lurking in the background to make sure people are doing their jobs to contact us for appointments, etc, and she's really great as well. They are still doing further examinations and testing on her biopsy samples, and we have to get a mammogram and PET/CT (gently caress you, insurance) scan done still. Once those are all done, the Oncologist can narrow down our treatment plans and we will move forward.

I'm hopeful.

And so very very anxious and dreading the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tremek posted:

Life is weird. Still miss the newfie, but my wife stumbled into what seems like a good thing, and I didn't say no, so:

5 month old French bulldog with papers. Lady who had him couldn't keep him due to surgery. He's pretty adorbs. When we first got married my wife and I had both an American bulldog and an English bulldog, so I guess we have something of an affinity for the bully breeds.

That's a good boy right there.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

One of our neighbors got a new dog. They've just tied him up in the yard and he's been barking for 2 hours. I want to go steal him and set their house on fire.

Oh God, I feel you. After we signed our lease together, we went back a few weeks later with the leasing agent to take measurements for furniture and all of the sudden there were two dogs going ape-poo poo on the balcony above with plastic fencing zip-tied to the railings so they couldn't jump off the balcony at people, because oh boy, let me tell you, they loving would. They're able to stick their heads underneath the fencing and stretch it out and bark at you, and for the first couple of weeks I was convinced he just left them to hang out on this tiny balcony all day long.

I've since learned that there's a small possibly terrier/pit bull mix who's the super aggressive instigator which gets the full-sized regular pit bull riled up too. Who I assume is the girlfriend was walking just the full-sized boye the other day past me and he just wagged his tail and dog-grinned at me and kept going on his way. TL:DR gently caress small dogs forever.

Luckily it seems they were just kind of lax with the dogs while our apartment was vacant, because after a couple of weeks they weren't on the balcony as much, and the guy that lives there mentioned it was too expensive so they were thinking about moving out in October. :pray:

Also, in annoying owner but not dogs, her old downstairs neighbor would constantly yell one of his three dogs' names and tell them to lie down over and over again, but you almost never heard the dogs at all. And after he moved out it was revealed he just let them piss all over the hardwood floors and caused several thousand dollars worth of damage, including damages from the dog piss seeping into the basement!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

slidebite posted:

Got the call last night re: my stepdads cancer diagnosis from the beginning of last months poo poo-show.

The good news: is it hasn't spread. Localized to a tumor in his lung.

Bad news, it's too big (@10CM/4") that it is inoperable where it is.

He's starting radiation and chemo with some experimental trial to see if they can shrink it enough to operate on it. He is going to break the news to his 90+ year old mother this weekend.

Whelp, the roller coaster has just left the station.

PS - Don't smoke ladys and germs.

Didn't they find the mass quite a while ago now? I was getting pissed at how long it took to confirm my girlfriend's cancer diagnosis, but really it was only two-three weeks since she first went to her doctor and got an ultrasound for abdominal pains. (Not counting the inept Urgent Care that shoved her out the door a couple of weeks prior and told her she's fine.)

SPEAKING OF, I just got back in the office from having the morning off to go with her to talk to the Physician Assistant that works with our Oncologist to learn about chemotherapy and the two other drugs she'll be on starting next week, and insurance denied her PET scan once again.

So: We KNOW that she has Stage IV breast cancer, meaning we KNOW that it's spread to at least one other part of her body (liver), we KNOW the cancer subtype and how we're going to treat it, and insurance is STILL going "Lol PET scan, gently caress that no way." So now we have to go do three CT scans tomorrow AM, chest, abdomen, and pelvic area, as well as a bone scan. It's truly loving mind-boggling.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No kidding. All of this just has me extremely anxious that they're going to call us last minute before we're scheduled to start treatment and tell us insurance denied chemo for *reasons*

T-Square
May 14, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Cancer chat:

I had two buddies (both early 40s) get diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer last year.

One got diagnosed when he puked up blood after a night of drinking. He did a ton of chemo to get the stuff that’d spread. They then did a bunch of radiation on his esophagus. Pronounced him clear (enough?) to take a 3 month chemo break. Just got scanned again yesterday and said he can again come back in 3 months. I think it’s been 14 months since his diagnosis.

Other guy got diagnosed December 31st when all of a sudden he couldn’t swallow. Checked into the hospital and never checked out, died 3 months later.

Yeah, that's the lovely thing. We didn't know anything was wrong until she started getting abdominal pains and didn't get it checked out until they got worse instead of better. Even if she had gotten checked out at first sign of discomfort or whatever, it's already too late to do surgery as it's been in her breast for who knows how long, and in her liver already for long enough to develop painful tumors.

On the topic of your friend that survived is what I'm worried about as far as the rest of our lives though. The folks we've been working with at the cancer center are doing their best to move as swiftly as possible, but they seem relatively optimistic. I asked today about monitoring it in the future if their treatment plan works and we're able to kill off the cancer to the point where we can't see it in scans. My main concern is that if her current insurance isn't budging on getting us a PET scan when we have a 100% cancer diagnosis, they sure as poo poo probably won't authorize "preventative maintenance" scans afterwards, if we get to a point where we can no longer see cancer. The PA did say something the long the lines of "once we reach that point, she will be on some form of treatment, whether maintenance IV meds or oral meds, for the rest of her hopefully long life." So, :smith: and :unsmith:

Edit:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey T-Square... it's probably geographically difficult/impossible unless you live in a few select areas, but the Mayo Clinic will take care of your girlfriend to the highest quality and if you can't afford to pay, they won't bankrupt you on top of the rest of the stress and pain and anxiety. Obviously they prefer to be paid, but they will not turn someone away who needs care because their insurance is fuckheads (all insurance is fuckheads.)

I believe the closest is Minneapolis, we're in the Milwaukee area. Unless there's one in Chicago. I appreciate the sentiment and will keep it in mind though. The cancer center we're at is a bit of a drive, but it's very nice, quiet, out in the country, tons of different types of therapies and accommodations at little to no cost to ease the experience, and from all accounts of all of the doctors and nurses we've ran into so far elsewhere, they know their poo poo. Everyone is also very down to earth and knows how lovely the situation is, and how lovely the insurance companies are, so I'm pretty confident in their honesty so far.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 9, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

The only upside is the nurse that drew the blood was cheery and friendly; everybody else was very much in a "gently caress you" mood.

Lol when we went for the girlfriend's liver biopsy last week, (The week before last? I already can't keep all of these appointments straight.) I could tell the two older nurses that were getting her ready for her procedure were kind of getting on her nerves, but then they left and the younger phlebotomist came in to get some blood samples. She was whining and telling her that she was probably going to have a hard time getting a vein because hers roll around or whatever, and the phlebotomist just goes "Aw, have no fear, whenever I'm in the room blood will spill" :black101: It got a laugh out of us.

On Wednesday she got her IV port installed in her chest, and right after she was wheeled in and still a little drowsy she said "Psstt come here, I have a secret!" and I leaned over her and she said "When they were doing the procedure, I accidentally tooted!" :shobon:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I like her, just for that.

She then claimed that mine can't be classified as toots, because they're routinely loud enough to startle her :laugh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hey maybe we shouldn't openly judge or condemn people on doing anything they can to get ahead when diagnosed with serious and/or life threatening/fatal diseases or medical conditions regardless of what you think you may know of their financial situations, thanks bye!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Darchangel posted:

She's not wrong.

I... what? If your wife didn't sign over the title when you traded the vehicle in, how the gently caress did a dealer sell a car that they didn't have a title to?

As someone who sits a few desks over from the Title Clerk...lol.

Oftentimes sales managers do really fuckin' dumb and shady poo poo and she doesn't find out about it until it becomes a very large problem.

For example, once we found out that they were letting a guy drive an inventory car with dealer plates for like a month without any sort of deal or transaction having taken place, because we were having issues getting the title straightened out and couldn't sell it yet. Nobody knew about it except for like two of sales managers until we got a phone call about him bitching because he saw the online price for the exact car he was currently driving went up. Then they tried to pin it on a different sales manager. :shrug:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 12, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh, it's 100% the dealer's problem, I'm not defending them. Just re-iterating that if you think there's something so stupid that not even a dealer could pull it off, chances are they probably have!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Well, successfully completed our first chemo day yesterday, two rounds of different meds that target the estrogen receptors on the cells, and then finished with a round of chemo. We didn't know we were allowed to bring our own pain meds with us and unfortunately they didn't have a whole lot in the range of pain meds on site. Her stomach is extremely sensitive to narcotics/opiates and all they really had was oxycontin which she was given in recovery after her liver biopsy and caused her to go into cold sweats and vomit, so she didn't want to try that. They gave her a little bit of morphine, and I've never seen someone ralph that quickly from something :v:

Once they got some anti-nausea into her IV though she started feeling really good and actually decided to go into the office today for the first time really since her diagnosis!

But I have a super depressing mind-gently caress for the non-Americans though (and to be honest, probably most Americans). When we met with the oncologist and physician's assistant before we started treatment yesterday morning, they let us know that they had to have people fighting with insurance to get her chemotherapy approved. Insurance literally just did not want to authorize it. All I can think of is that meme with the old guy with his hands up saying "Guess I'll just die :shrug:" because what the gently caress else do you expect to be done?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

drat, square. I was coming here to bitch, but my problems seem pretty small now.

Seems like a pretty lovely situation to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a firm believer that someone else's problems no matter how big, shouldn't diminish another person's problems just because they may be worse. And sorry to hear about your friend STR, that poo poo always sucks too.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Same happened to us a couple of years ago. The family that runs the company and all of the head honchos sat in front of all of us before the purchase and assured us that since their company was so much bigger than ours they would be able to blow our benefits package out of the water.

A month later, we lost our company 401K match, and insurance premiums went up and we got shittier plans.

E: It was mildly amusing during the 401K informational meeting for employees, when the rep was walking everyone through their thick confusing 401K books someone asked what the match was, and she said "Unfortunately xyz company does not offer a 401K match at this time." and a dozen people simultaneously closed their books and walked out without a word being said.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 16, 2019

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Welp, just got back in the office from round 2 of chemotherapy. She felt miles better after the first round last Tuesday (probably mostly in part due to the steroid and anti-nausea IV's they give beforehand) and we met with the physician's assistant while the lab ran her blood. Then she left to get the results and came back in with the doctor and he just opened the door and stared at us and went "Guys, your lab work compared to last week looks EXCELLENT!" Apparently her liver functions have improved drastically after just the first treatment (the breast cancer had made the liver one of its new homes and there were several tumors on it) and he said he has no reason to believe that the treatment isn't working well. It's obviously going to be a long road, and the future is still an unknown, but we're riding on a bit of a high right now.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I thought I had a lot of useless poo poo when I gathered it all in the new empty apartment, and then the girlfriend moved in a couple months later :stare:
I threw a ton of my poo poo out, got a desk and bookshelf, and we'll be getting another desk for her eventually. It's a little better, but there's still a few boxes of her crap in the way, but we got our lovely news literally a week after she moved in, so we've had other things to worry about.

Also, my friend's wife has a "Live, laugh, poop" decorative thing hanging on the bathroom wall :laugh:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Scion was such a loving joke lol. I always wanted a first gen xB when I was younger though. I remember the day we discontinued the brand and everyone was just like "About fuckin' time."

Cue every other customer coming in asking if Toyota is still going to make the FR-S/86.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

bolind posted:

Deep down I know (insert giving up science emoji here, can't loving find it.)

So gently caress the todolist, here's the pic:

On the left, kinda where all that junk is, is where the garage will hopefully be built. Aiming for just under 7x7 meters.

That's a seriously cool home, congrats.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Me leading off the line in my 100hp diesel Land Cruiser on the daily, constantly, forever.

I really do not see the slow car bad thing when I'm constantly having to pass cars with triple or quadruple the power. People still drive as fast/slow as they ever did it as far as I can tell, even if everyone is packing power.

This poo poo has become my biggest driving pet peeve. I've stopped giving a poo poo about people drifting in and out of lanes or doing dumb poo poo in general, but when that light turns green and the car in front of you takes their foot off the brake and then apparently doesn't move the foot over to the accelerator and just iiiidddllleesss away from the light? gently caress that makes me so irritated. I should not have to sit through two traffic light cycles when there's three or four cars in front of me. Doubly so when people craawwllll through turns or throw down the anchors for slight bends in the freeway. You can drive the fuckin' speed limit, your car isn't going to go careening off the road if you go over 10MPH.

bolind posted:

One word of unsolicited advice to any wannabe house designers though: if you're not swimming in square feet, insist on a few final iterations to utilize what space you have in the most efficient way. For instance, we have a big ugly manifold for the heated floors sticking out, right smack in the middle of prime closet real estate. There's, like, a small handful of places where that could've lived, with much better results, but now it's literally set in stone and we're stuck with it until we move.

I feel this. Our new apartment is nice and open and spacious...but there's really no storage space. The few closets are narrow, but I just really wish there was a nice big entryway closet to put coats and store out of season clothes and blankets and stuff that are just taking up valuable space elsewhere.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Can I just say that Toyota can eat me for their trucks having such solid resale value? This is getting annoying.

Same. My brain is broken and for some reason I really like the FJ Cruiser still, but they're still god-awful expensive for what they are in my opinion. Doesn't help that they aren't produced anymore.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guess who pulled a stainless pan out of a 450F oven on Sunday night, and then promptly grabbed it again without an oven mitt? :downs:

At least I got good drugs and a day off work out of it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

MrChips posted:

I did that last year; I was making steak and ale pie and I had just pulled the dutch oven out of the oven and I set it on the stovetop for a moment while I finished preparing the pastry. I went back and grabbed the dutch oven without my oven mitts on, like, full-on grabbed the handles and held on tight for about a fraction of a second before I dropped it back to the stovetop. At least it didn't spill or do damage to the glass cooktop when I dropped it.

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I did. Pulled the pan out, pulled off the chicken breasts, and turned away for two seconds to grab my pre-organized ingredients for my pan sauce and grabbed the handle real good to start making the sauce. Still finished the meal though, but I got to watch the girlfriend eat a fat crispy chicken breast with a delicious pan sauce while I ran tap water over my hand.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STR posted:

When I was leaving, I had a bitch of a time getting the hatch to open (the key I have is the one she used for 13 years... it's very worn - she switched to using her spare about 2 years ago). The car is manual everything, no remote release, and I always lock the hatch out of habit after closing it (it locks fine with this key, it's just sometimes a bitch to unlock). It took about 5 minutes of loving with it to finally get it to unlock to haul a couple of things back home.

About a month ago, I asked my friend to come over with his Tacoma to help me get rid of a mattress and box spring, and we could NOT get his tailgate to open, so we had to gently caress around worming our arms under the tonneau cover to get it rolled up.

Last weekend he borrowed his step-dad's chainsaw to help his wife's grandpa clear some trees out of his property. On the way home, the tailgate popped open and the chainsaw slid out of the bed :v:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's a superb film and so beautifully shot too. I've tried to get so many people to watch and all that do adore it. I have a soft spot for Isle of Dogs too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lxqzem01IU

Ugh, I keep wanting to throw this on for a movie night with the lady but I literally only remember to check it out when I'm not at home.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So what you're telling me is that I can just let my crusty E30 rot in my parents' garage for another five years and probably throw it on BaT for $6k? I'm okay with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I drove an IS-F

Man, I miss being a lot rat back when these were new when I worked at a Lexus dealership, we had an Ultrasonic Blue demo unit, which we used as defacto runner cars for any errands. So many burnouts and power-slides in that thing. I pity whoever bought that unit when we retired it...

E: Now I'm remembering when the super shady GM let some fancy lawyer friend borrow it for a week and told me to go pick it up the following week from his downtown office. That exhaust going down like 9 floors of parking garage and hauling rear end between all of the downtown skyscrapers :swoon:

T-Square fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 30, 2019