Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I still remember opening the Facebook notification of the live video being started on the group and I was like "well what do we have...:suspense:"

I still have the badges and license plate. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Elviscat posted:

Double post:

The story of Dave might be a lovely one, but there's a big chonky silver lining, at least for me.

:swoon: Rosie is such a cutie :swoon:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Humphreys posted:

I feel terrible for my oldest friend. His wife is undergoing first round of chemo for cancer in her chest. No one deserves to go through this especially her with two younglings under 5. However I have a moral predicament. They setup a GoFundMe but I know for a fact they have private medical cover AND friend is a miner on a healthy 6 figure income and she is an accountant. Not exactly short of money. I want to support them one way or another but I think the GoFundMe is a really poo poo thing to pull.

Other people who are also struggling are not your enemies. For-profit health care is inhumane.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

2019 continues: last day of our trip to the UK, after hundreds of uneventful miles of motorcycling, friends’ wedding in Wales, etc etc somebody broke into our AirBnb flat while we were eating dinner and had themselves a profitable 5 minutes. Both of our notebooks, D500 + 17-55mm f/2.8... and both of our headphones. Right before a 9 hour flight.

Bastards. At least they did it while we were out and nobody was hurt, but gently caress I didn’t want to deal with this poo poo now.

Oh, insult to injury: they stole my last Coke out of the fridge and it’s a heatwave here. 😔

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Travel insurance suggests that I attempt self-sodomy since “police report no signs of forced entry”, i.e. they’re blaming us for the situation. AirBnb obviously gives zero fucks. The only things stolen that nobody’s dicking us about on is my wife’s headphones (Shure SE215s with BT2 cables - like $350 or so), and that’s through the credit card’s purchase protection... :sigh:

Last ditch is to call home insurance provider today. Fingers crossed we’re not actually out the $14k I put on our Visa card last night :suicide:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

angryrobots posted:

Jebus gently caress

I see what you did there :D

We normally wouldn’t travel with so much $ in electronics but my wife was working on her grad school, I was using music-making to help decompress, and we brought our good camera gear to shoot our friend’s wedding. Perfect storm for getting really taken to the cleaners. Thankfully everything we need on the notebooks is stored in Dropbox / backed up at home, and I’d already pulled the photos so they’re in iCloud. It’s literally just money. It could have been 1,000,000x worse. Neither of us were hurt, had our passports with us, gently caress it. I hope whoever took the poo poo really needed the gear itself or the cash. Make some beautiful art with it or something. We’ll survive. Thanks for the kind words though, thread. :glomp:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Wait so why did you put 14k on the visa then

Because they stole two computers, the camera, headphones... “it’s just money” because the data was all backed up. $14k was to replace everything.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

fridge corn posted:

I would be leaving such a negative review on Airbnb :mad:

:hellyeah: We did. We also reported the unit as a safety concern since there was no sign of forced entry - clearly not secured well enough despite the toity neighbourhood.

ninja: I think HyperDrive is loving awesome and I am super addicted to it

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I agree with this a lot.

You have more than a "housemate" in your SO at this point. The way expenses are tied up are completely irrelevant and pulling rank by saying "I make more money and spend on our housing than you do" will end your relationship. You share your dwelling, full stop. My wife hasn't worked in over seven years and I wouldn't dare ever trying something like that. Your dad should be completely understanding that "you aren't telling anyone" means that you don't tell anyone outside of your house. My wife and I tell each other everything because we are mature adults and understand that things told in confidence are meant to be kept in confidence and we are united together. When friends/neighbors/family say "don't tell anyone" to one of us, they know full well that the other person in the marriage will also be told but that it will be kept in confidence.

Rethink the whole situation and think about how if you approached it differently. If you came outright and said "Hey, SHTF for my parents marriage and I am concerned Dad might not have a place immediately following the fall out. We (Editors note: not "I") have a spare room. If I help you get it a little sorted and organized do you think it would be okay if he stays here until he figures out housing?"

You could then go into specifics about what kind of duration you anticipate so you have a plan. Your dad should be involved in that discussion as well barring an agreement with your SO.

I have a 2K sqft basement with two guest rooms, bathroom, etc that we fully have set up for the expectation that either my parents or my wife's parents stay literally whenever they need. It is an open invitation to either of them, they have access to the house etc but my wife and I always clear it with one another before committing the "okay" with our parents because we respect that we both have equal say.

This.

And: some dog people just don't know they're dog people yet. My wife finally cajoled me into getting my first dog 6 years ago and I sometimes get a little weepy just thinking about all of the dog love I missed in the previous 34 years of my life.

And: when you are in a position of power, reminding somebody of that position ("you get a say when you have an ownership interest in the house") is antagonistic at best. That may be true, but saying it is unkind. Yes, you have approached this situation with logic. But you have not approached it with kindness or emotional sensitivity. That's a hard skill to learn but is a 100% predictor of relationship health.

Try this on for size: knowing that you have the power in the situation - you could, after all, break up with her and kick her out into the street - would it actually hurt you to make her feel like a part of the decision by making it a question? "Hon, this is family stuff and so just between you and I, but it looks like my dad might need to move out and he doesn't know where to go right now. Do you think we could put him up here in the spare room for a bit to take some pressure off of him?" If she says no, maybe there's a good reason, and maybe that's a good conversation. But if it's a no with no good reason, you still have all the power in this situation.

Now imagine being in her shoes and knowing everything above. She can't say no. She isn't being consulted, but if she pushes back, she could be homeless.

1. Be kind to people, it's just the right thing to do. Sometimes they'll really surprise you.
2. Object lesson: this is privilege. Be careful with it, it's a weapon even if you don't intend to use it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Well on my way back home. It's certainly been a hell of a August for me. Dunno how the gently caress we're gonna get this visa poo poo done given how notorious Dept of Immigration here are but..... we'll work through it. Living in Canada for a while might actually be on to satisfy the "live together" requirement.

Oh and the 7 grand to apply. Well we knew that but GG it's just ridiculous all the same.

Sorry to have missed you while you were here. C'mon back soon so we can drink beers!

nm posted:

Just move to canada. Coastal BC barely has winter.

So, 11 months ago, I booked a trip to hong kong, the cancel fee was outrageous, so here I am. This is outside my hotel. Cool.

Holy poo poo. Do please get involved. The protestors there need support.