Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I take my final exam tomorrow morning which determines if I keep my current engineering rank (and pay). The training material has to be the worst excuse for a photocopied book containing literal PowerPoint slides I’ve ever seen. I’m going in blind, other than passing the last three exams. There’s no self tests or questions and it’s driving me nuts. Wish me luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Passed my exam. Stress level is back to normal. Let the stupid projects continue!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Time for a Oregoon AI meet up? I'm just south of PDX and work in the pearl.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

You guys have got me thinking about moving to ORegon, BTW. Wife want cooler than TX, I want as little winter as possible. Cheap is good, too.
How are computer janitor jobs out there?

As a native Oregonian: Stay out. (Kidding, mostly). It’s hard to welcome people when our infrastructure is crumbling and barely supports the additional traffic. It’s added an hour to my commute over the past 5 years.
Portland keeps making working in downtown less desirable. They announced last week they are doubling the street parking cost and considering taxing drivers who commute into downtown. It’s nuts!
Cheap went away about 8 years ago. IT Jobs are plentiful due to the inrush of former Bay Area companies. You don’t have to work in down town, there’s tons of jobs around Intel and Nike. But they too are suffering from too much growth. I’m also worrying about what nutso environmental regulations our current governor will try to put in. WA is removing emissions testing, while we seem to be doubling down.

My one true pissoff is the damage being done by tourists to the local forests. Our favorite spots are being literally trashed. Visiting what once was a quiet trail to a Falls is now like waiting in line. People aren’t taking their trash out. Even the camp grounds out by my parents cabin are now lottery entry.

Add this with the overall meh car world here, it’s just an ok place to live. But I’m definitely turning into a grumpy old man. /rant

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Picked up one of my stalled projects today. 9 months at the machinist... Worth it.

*wrong thread!

the spyder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I need suggestions on how to break out of a funk. I haven't left the couch outside of work for like 3 days. Family's out of town and I just can't get motivated. It's cutting into my beekeeping duties/car stuff/hanging out with friends. I can be super productive one day then a slug the next. Getting tired of it.