Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At some point it's not worth the stress to keep going, so that's a good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Congrats on the car - re: shifter, isn’t it a TR-6060? I had a manual G8 GXP and it wasn’t a bad shifter at all.

The different shifters they put on that transmission / T56 over the years have a big impact on shifter feel, though I would expect the G8 and VE to feel exactly the same.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

The Dems know what's up. The main power bloc in the party, as exemplified by Pelosi, are just status quo centrists who find losing more profitable than acting.

Pretty much this. A friend of mine got upset when I pointed out that a) I wished Sinema was the leftist McSally's campaign portrayed her as, and b) she's really just a slightly less lovely side of the same coin.

Yet here we are with her, an elected Democrat, tweeting for thoughts and prayers.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay we're going to need to see your frankenhorn project. Best start it.

Two horns enter, one horn leaves

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Elviscat posted:

Who returns batteries for the core cost anymore?

I do? Though it's also part of the deal for the warranty.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

*Kramers in out of nowhere, completely oblivious to the prior conversation*

'Sup, guys?

[Laugh Track Intensifies]

bolind posted:

THE BAD
  • No ISOFIX on front passenger seat.

Is this a thing elsewhere? I've never seen LATCH / ISOFIX on a front seat in the US in anything with more than one row of seating.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

If it sates any latent curiosity, he admitted to me near the end of his stay that he had deliberately set it on fire.

I am not remotely surprised.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't '06 past the worst of it by far, though? I thought it was mostly the '99-'03 range that was Bad.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Do what you want, but I can't wait to see those February Stars.

:golfclap: That song is so loving good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Woke up before the asscrack of dawn to go on a Jeep run. Took a bit of getting ready before I realized that it was remarkably warm in the house. Four degrees above the thermostat set point.

Air handler moving air, but the outside heat pump? Suddenly so quiet that until I went outside to see if it blew the breaker, I thought it wasn't running.

Wife insisted I should go on the Jeep run anyway, but my C10 without front suspension is blocking any access to the attic, and with a 20 year old heat pump I don't like my odds of this being a repair and not a replacement. So time to spend the morning wrenching, I guess.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Well the compressor works, but the outside unit fan (and possibly contactor and capacitor) is dead. Makes cold air until it overheats.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Did you check the contactor and when was the last time you replaced the capacitor? Those are two of the main and frequent things that fail, to the point that I have extras on my shelf in case. The contactor is abotu $30 and the capacitor about the same from Amazon, but a service place will charge you upwards of $200 for the parts, plus labor. They are both easy to replace.

Outside fan is another easy DIY replacement, I've got one of those on the shelf, too. They make almost-universal motors that you can wire up to be a bolt-in replacement. I bet it's your capacitor, though.

I have literally never replaced anything on the system other than the thermostat, until today. From the differing layers of dust I think someone (at least 12 years ago!) may have replaced the contactor but the capacitor had what sure looked like a 1999 date code on it.

I shotgunned all of them at it because it's way cheaper than paying someone, I didn't have the time to make multiple trips if I was wrong, and none of the parts in question looked particularly good. The contacts on the contactor were visibly quite worn, the capacitor was old as poo poo (and tested low according to the guy at the parts counter), and the fan blade would stop almost as soon as you let go of it.

I thought I heard an unusual noise when the outside unit kicked on last night - my guess is that the bearings in the fan motor started eating themselves and sometime overnight, the fan thermal-tripped itself off, which would have been shortly followed by the compressor doing the same. I'm going to have to take it apart tonight and fiddle with the wire routing a bit since I'm not 100% on board with my own ziptie solution, but it works for now and it's cooling the house down.

The off-the-top-of-her-head quote a company my wife's friend runs gave us was in the range of $800 to replace all those things, though for some reason they were convinced they would need to be sourced only from Lennox. The universal motor has a much longer shaft than needed ( :smuggo: ) but it still has plenty of room to clear within the unit. I paid just shy of $200 to pick them up at a local appliance parts shop, and if it even gets us a month or two it's money well spent. Personally I'd rather move than replace the unit, but who knows how that will work out.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meatpimp posted:

That's amazing that the original cap lasted that long. Your replacement won't. New caps seem to last about 1-4 years, but they're cheap, so keep the right size on the shelf. The contactors last longer. The fan motor can last a long time.

Glad you're back up and running... plus you did it yourself, which makes it all the better.

The hardest part by far was getting the fan off the old motor without bending the gently caress out of it. Ended up using a three jaw puller to get it started, a hammer and a punch to keep it moving, and finished with a prybar and a 2x4.

If I'm still in this house in six months, and it hasn't died, I'll stash some spares.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

~patina~

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

everdave posted:

I love love love this little Honda Today. Total blast to drive.

But will you still love it Tomorrow?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm so far past the point of caring much about my desktop/laptop hardware that I had to dig through emails and spec sheets to look them up :v:

My desktop is on a 6600k, along with a two-year-newer Radeon that I can't remember the specific model of because I got it as a gift instead of buying it myself. I don't have a VR setup or a 4K monitor and they drive my 21:9 widescreen just fine in anything I've played so I have zero incentive to upgrade. The only upgrade I have "planned" would be to get a 1TB NVMe boot drive for it, mostly to pilfer the 500GB SATA SSD in it now for another box.

My laptop is a not quite two-year-old Asus UX430UN, which they apparently still sell for new at only a slightly lower cost. MX150 GPU on it is just enough for some very light gaming (which I prefer to do on a desktop or console anyway). Also no reason to expect to upgrade it anytime in the foreseeable future.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Who else is amped as gently caress for KSP2

This rear end in a top hat is.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or it's just a house and residential locksets are insanely easy to bump / rake which wouldn't show a goddamn sign of anything. I lost my keys once and had a locksmith bump me into my house and it was almost disturbing how quickly he got through three locks. I've spent more time fumbling with my keys than that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

I mean it's not that I don't trust her, it's that Dad asked me to keep quiet about it, and being that we're super close I tend to respect those requests. It's just put me in a rather dicey spot.

I'll likely end up asking if he can loosen up a bit so I can ease the tension a bit.

Maksimus54 posted:

She doesn't really have any say, but not telling her who is possibly moving in is a dick move, and a bigger dick move by your dad for making it your problem.

To an extent, neither of them have any say here. Your communication to the GF shouldn't have been any more than "my dad is coming to stay for a while and I'm bringing my dog home", and your dad cannot reasonably expect you to keep someone WHO WILL BE IN THE loving HOUSE WITH HIM from knowing what is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

My Samsung has been thoroughly meh. The keeps food cold part has been reliable, but the switch panel for the water dispenser and the internal heater to keep the dispenser from freezing have both failed over the years.