Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Started the claims process with AAA for my torched BMW and Aprilia. They will both be writeoffs. The AAA adjuster sent two DMV documents for e-signing that appear to be stating I am not retaining the vehicles.

The motorcycle is a pile of glowing slag ala Chernobyl and I don't plan on trying to salvage anything from the BMW (engine is sadly still perfect...), but am I correct in holding off on signing ANYTHING until I have seen payout amounts and agreed to them? Because that is my gut feeling.

I’m not a chat thread regular, what happened to your bike and car? :stare: Also, I’m not sure how this works normally but are they asking you to sign the documents saying you aren’t holding on to them for spare parts / resale? They may not want to quote you on what the payment will be until then, but it seems kinda weird to have you sign something up front like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Garage fire :( Photos posted near the end of last months' chat thread. I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

I replied to her email with more detailed info and recent photos of the vehicles (thank god I detailed them both and took glamour shots last year).

Holy poo poo, I’m glad your family and pets were okay. Cars and bikes can be replaced, family members can’t. :(

Shame about your Dad’s gorgeous old cars. I won’t pretend to know what the wood-paneled beauty is, but I hope it can be restored.

Also yeah the more I’m thinking about it, the more it seems they want you to sign that you’re not selling parts off of the cars before signing them over, because they may intend to sell the BMW motor to the junkyard. :shrug: I’d imagine with rarer machines with particularly desirable motors that parting the car out can net you a pretty penny, and the insurance company wants that to offset their expenses. Who knows, though, still seems like they should be able to easily quote you a “you keep it and scrap it” payout and a “we take it all” payout.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Send her this thread. Problem solved.

They’d find him on the side of a road with an inch left of a Muncie SM420 shift lever hanging out of his rear end.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Nissan CVTs are the only CVT I’ve ever seen that refuses to act like a CVT. I rented a Rogue for a vacation and sat for 5 hours behind a transmission that groaned and hunted for “gears” to make it sound like it was a standard automatic, and it was such a hilariously poo poo thing to do that I couldn’t help but wonder if it was some sort of ECU flash they shoved in the US bound cars at the last second leaving the factory.

If it would’ve behaved like a normal CVT it wouldn’t have been a half-bad CUV, but I guess taking a modern transmission and making it behave like a chunk of tech from 10 years ago is the Nissan way.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Fender Anarchist posted:

Internal patches are so much more secure than plugs that i see no reason to ever use the latter unless you're stranded with no spare.

I find that bog-standard light truck/SUV tires are easy to plug, and did exactly that on my old Ranger when I caught a nail in the tire in the middle-of-nowhere upstate NY. The plug did fine and I sold the truck a year later. Since I’m now in a heavily populated area and have about 3 decent independent tire shops within 2 miles of my place, I let them handle patching and making calls on the run-flats and LRR poo poo we have on our cars now. Finding safe lift and jack-stand points on the Volt is such a huge pain in the dick anymore that I’m literally considering selling my big air compressor and pneumatic tools because they’re just taking up space in my basement, unused.

Darchangel posted:

I would like to at least get a 2013-2015 MacBook Pro, though. I'm taxing the poor 2012 a bit with the truly stupid number of Chrome windows and tabs I keep open. Not really a failing of the laptop, though, more of me.

I’m looking for an excuse to replace my 2013 rMBP but can’t because apparently Apple made these under the supervision of some Lovecraftian horror that ensured they are all undead and eternal. The thing won’t die and keeps up with everything I need to do, so as long it keeps getting security updates I have literally no reason to buy a different one. :shrug:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Goddamnit, I’m now traveling to an Airbnb tonight and was thinking of bringing my laptop along to write up a few emails and look up some stuff while I’m there. Maybe not, now.

That really blows. Did the flat have a door with a keypad? If they’re not seeing “forced entry” I’m starting to wonder if this is something the host and a particularly dirty friend of theirs worked out in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

On the other hand the new Caravan Palace album is out and it's beautiful, I love it. I also watched Endgame last night, that's was pretty good too.

Oh hey, that’s cool, gonna add it to the library. I got into them after seeing that bizarre music video where the animals kill each other in a strip club.

I also saw Endgame on a flight, not a bad way to wrap up 10 years of storylines and stuff. Not sure what to think of the fate of the black widow character killing her self and everyone going “lol welp she dead” despite them having regular access to loving time travel. Also, Captain America returns the one stone to the dead Nazi dude and apparently is just fine with it?