Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fun article to start the month. Seems Texas Motor Speedway has banned electric cars from its drag strip.

Not for any reason of competition, but because they're not equipped to put out a lithium fire.

quote:

“The reason for the exclusion is, in the event of a crash and possible resulting fire, our emergency vehicles currently do not carry the specific equipment required to suppress EV fires. As I’m sure you’re aware, conventional extinguishers are of no use in fighting a lithium-ion battery fire,” wrote Texas Motor Speedway spokesman David Hart in an email sent to Tesla fan site Teslarati.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Because a track isn't equipped with fire extinguishers, you see.

Regular fire extinguishers ain't going to do poo poo to a lithium ion battery fire, and a Class D extinguisher big enough to take a shot at a burning car starts around $20k. You need a few inches of foam on the fire, not just to deprive the fuel of oxygen briefly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Which is who the Democrats will run with because they're loving morons and have learned nothing from 2016.

The Dems know what's up. The main power bloc in the party, as exemplified by Pelosi, are just status quo centrists who find losing more profitable than acting.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I'll be gone 'til November...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Urrg I'm on the wrong part of the planet! Sabaton has to come back to Oz! Hot-take, things and stuff were done with certian member of Eluveitie in their early days. And It wasn't beard pulling.

Sabaton are on my poo poo list after writing an epic about how cool and good the Bismarck was... for World of Warships sponsorship. I don't think they're fash, but they've got that weird fascination with military history and blindness to context thing going. Rammstein on the other hand have never stopped kicking rear end. They're going to be back in the US next year, I'm going to have to swing tickets.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Could you ever get to that age? Till Lindermann is nearly 60 and rocks out harder than most 20yr olds!

We’ve decided it doesn’t matter where they perform when they come to Australia in the next few years, we’re gonna catch at least one, probably two of their concerts.

I’m not driving to Perth tho. gently caress that!

I desperately hope that when I get that old I can still rock a tenth that hard.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

freelop posted:

Sabaton's entire gimic is singing about military history/machines outside of other context though which they've said in interviews - it'd be like saying Alestorm are weirdly obessed with pirates.
They now have a history channel which dives into the background stories behind the songs which is interesting.

Making a sponsored song is fine, the only issue with it is that it's not a great song.

quote:

He was made to rule the waves across the seven seas
To lead the war machine
To rule the waves and lead the Kriegsmarine
The terror of the seas
The Bismarck and the Kriegsmarine

gently caress 'em. The Bismarck (like all the super-dreadnoughts) had a short combat record of no note. It was crippled by obsolete torpedo bombers less than 10 days into its first sortie, then scuttled after the Royal Navy pounded everything above the waterline to scrap. Stanning for Wunderwaffe bullshit isn't cool.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Coredump posted:

That is definitely not a given or even a rule of thumb around here.

I would suggest it's kind of the opposite. Most of us knowingly and happily own really, really bad cars. But they're -fun-... :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Weird. My wife insists I deliberately turn the traction control off, but then again she does give the warboys V8 salute to the M3 every time we go out to it from wherever we're parked at...

Your wife sounds cool. :)

Did the fluids in Vic today pending road trip tomorrow, and I adore working on something that big. Everything's well clearanced except the rear spark plugs.