Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ferrari definitely is concerned about how they are perceived: Bloomberg link

LMAO. What a hill to die on from the prancing horse.

That is beautifully ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Looks way easier to work on, IMHO.

Vastly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay I know exactly nothing about this so let me guess at the shooter.

White, middle class, say early 20's, manifesto is a greatest hits of the poo poo Trump spews, military style weapon.

How did I do?

100%, almost like it's predictable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm pretty sure Trump won't break the two term streak. Last president that only say one term was like, Bush Sr, right?

Yes, but trump will not go quietly. Just wait for that fresh new hell next year. Whether war powers or disputed validity, it ain't gonna be pretty. It's the Republicans last gasps, since they've abandoned their core ideals.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Biden is the worst, just because he represents all the bad that is the Democratic party -- mired in a history of complacency and flip-flopping in the breeze of public sentiment while not being strong enough to show a hint of backbone. My thought (and hope) is that the other 65% that aren't in the Biden camp are looking to other candidates BECAUSE they don't want Biden, along with their support for candidate "x."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

C&D just did a story on octane. The story is spun to minimize the difference between low- and high-grade fuel, but it clearly shows a measurable increase in power for vehicles that can adjust for various fuel grades.

Unfortunately, all they showed was peak power, not the actual dyno curves. What I've seen firsthand is that some cars respond very well to premium fuel, but it's more of a difference in response to gas pedal input. My Avalon is night-and-day with crap grade fuel versus premium. The RDX that we test drove last week is spinning the tires with more than moderate tip-in of the throttle from a start. It just didn't do that last week (previous owners always used low grade gas, it's gone through a full tank of premium and a dozen key cycles since then).

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-feature/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

A Small Car posted:

I need to just start a thread for all my random junk! Maybe then I'd finish more of it...

A bit of a teaser for how it currently sits:

I'm the structural drumstick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Getting teary reading The Onion. Seriously, how can you read something like this and not be struck by the perversion which we are now living in?

https://www.theonion.com/thomas-jefferson-the-tree-of-liberty-must-be-refreshe-1836974855

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

At what other point are you going to be able to own a v12 for that much cash?

You mean own two conjoined but almost fully separate BMW inline sixes that is virtually equivalent to maintaining two full, 30 year old, BMW vehicles? What could go wrong.

I love the 850, always have, but would never entertain the folly of owning a V12 version. The V8 is a much better choice if you actually want a vehicle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

We'll this isn't a very AI attitude is it?

I just bought an Acura. That's obviously clouding my thought process.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

GF sent me a text asking me to "prevent [her] from getting on the internet" for the rest of the day once she gets home. And to get rid of any electronic distractions, because she really wants to be able to clean and sort through 3+ months worth of mail and do some deep cleaning (since we now have roaches... ughhhhh... I'm the only one that does dishes or takes out the trash, and she refuses to rinse her dishes off and put them in the dishwasher).

I don't think she realizes just how thorough I can be. Wifi passwords changed, PC passwords changed (tho apparently it's been so long since she used her account on my PC that the Windows new user thing launched all over again, since it's been through a couple of rounds of major updates since she last logged in), MAC filters enabled on the router, game console controllers hidden, laptops and tablets hidden, power cord to the living room TV seems to be missing (even if it wasn't, the breaker is off, and the surge protector - wedged behind the entertainment center - is also unplugged).

Also, neither Sprint nor T-Mobile have poo poo for service inside the apartment (she's on Sprint, I'm on T-Mobile). My phone is whitelisted for wifi, desktop PC is whitelisted, bedroom Roku is whitelisted, Nest is whitelisted.

The fun part will be remembering where her 3DS, iPad, laptop, game console controllers, etc are hidden. :ohdear:

Obligatory :sever:

:munch:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meltie posted:

New Gourmet Makes is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYqRiKu7gY0

Claire absolutely beasts it this episode. Secret bit at the end past the credits too :kiss:

Claire is the best. We've been binging on her lately and we'll watch this one tonight.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

Didn't they find the mass quite a while ago now? I was getting pissed at how long it took to confirm my girlfriend's cancer diagnosis, but really it was only two-three weeks since she first went to her doctor and got an ultrasound for abdominal pains. (Not counting the inept Urgent Care that shoved her out the door a couple of weeks prior and told her she's fine.)

SPEAKING OF, I just got back in the office from having the morning off to go with her to talk to the Physician Assistant that works with our Oncologist to learn about chemotherapy and the two other drugs she'll be on starting next week, and insurance denied her PET scan once again.

So: We KNOW that she has Stage IV breast cancer, meaning we KNOW that it's spread to at least one other part of her body (liver), we KNOW the cancer subtype and how we're going to treat it, and insurance is STILL going "Lol PET scan, gently caress that no way." So now we have to go do three CT scans tomorrow AM, chest, abdomen, and pelvic area, as well as a bone scan. It's truly loving mind-boggling.

Jesus. That's ridiculous. Good luck and I hope someone is able to push it through.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Darchangel posted:

Of course, they are going to argue that part of the cost is the nurse who applied the shot, because they surely pay them $800/hr or something, right? They don't. My sister-in-law is an RN.

Of course the nurses don't get paid that. It's just like any other perversion of capitalism. They pay the nurses something that sounds good, like $35/hr, yet bill them out at $150/hr+... because they can. And there's nothing to check unbridled "capitalism" in the medical realm because supply and demand doesn't apply, but the "system" assumes that it does. So, we have rampant, unethical and obscene overcharging that is milking our economy, and even our very lives to the n-th degree. :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Some of you were interested when I was talking about ebike stuff. Here's some more:

Rad Power just came out with an awesome form factor: https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/8/20791435/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike-review-car-replacement A cargo ebike is a great idea. I've got to get a rack on the back of mine, just haven't picked up the project yet.

Also, I needed to replace the bottom bracket on mine, since it was damaged from when it was hit while on a bike rack, too. I think it just tweaked the axle a little bit, but it was enough to trash the bearings within 100 miles. I couldn't get any info from Juiced about a replacement, so I took it apart this morning and found that it's got a 100mm wide carrier and the axle is 164mm... which is a total oddball size. I've got a cheapo coming from Amazon, but I was hoping to put a nice Shimano or something on there. I guess I'll need to do some more digging to find out if there are other options.

Ebiking is great fun. I've been using it for short commutes and it gets me where I'm going almost as fast, if not as fast, as a car for the few miles I'm going. And using it like that, I'm going full-out most of the time, which is 24-28mph and it gives me a range of about 20 miles. In contrast, I was lazy yesterday and took the ebike when I went for a ride with my daughter yesterday and with a much more sedate pace, I think the range would be easily 70-100 miles. Granted, that's at ~8-10mph, but that's a great range.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

mariooncrack posted:

Please be careful. Don't forget a former forum member's jeep caught on fire due to a leaking gas line.

I don't think the cause was ever determined, and he had a penchant for the call of the void.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

If it sates any latent curiosity, he admitted to me near the end of his stay that he had deliberately set it on fire.

I always had a nagging suspicion. That's why I worded that post the way i did.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Fermented Tinal posted:

Cause not everyone reads the small engine thread, I present to you all, the most adorable carb for a sub-50cc motor I've ever come across.

It's 2bbl.

Man, when that secondary kicks in... look out.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

STR posted:

Sounds like the dealer's issue. :v:

But seriously, someone hosed up BAD here. And judging by their choice of insurance carrier, gonna guess your wife's SUV went to auction, some BHPH lot got it, and financed it at 20-30% APR with weekly payments. You need to contact the DMV in your state and make multiple complaints.

Also, nobody uses The General except for people who can't get insurance elsewhere. And those kind of lots are notorious for loving up title paperwork. :10bux: on them getting it at a BHPH lot...

And STR speaks from experience with used car lots and title fuckery.

I've had my own little drama with selling the Juke. Had a guy super hot on it the beginning of last week. Wanted the car, prepared to "pay" my asking price. But, he needed a loan. His primary bank wouldn't write loans for vehicles purchased from private parties (:wtf: Chase?), so he went to US Bank, who would. He jumped through a lot of hoops, they would only write the loan up to $8900, when the purchase price was $9800. So, we made arrangements to pay $400 cash and $500 cash in a month, on top of the loan check.

Then the bank said they would cover the full amount if his wife co-signed. So, she did, which took another couple days to get here there and get the paperwork done.

Friday afternoon I spoke with the banker himself who said they were approved for the full amount, plus taxes and title and all that was left was to arrange a meeting time where all of us could meet to sign over the title and issue the check. I asked him if he could do Monday morning (this morning) and he said he could, buyer could only do after 4:00PM this afternoon, which was fine.

Bank emailed the buyer this morning that he was approved for $7900. :fuckoff: I don't know what the gently caress is up with that, and I'm not a party in the discussion, but I sure became one when the banker himself tells me it's good but for writing the check and I take down all the loving ads I've got all over the internet.

I called the bank manager and spit some fire, waiting to hear back from him.

Lessons learned:

a) Never trust bankers OR car salesman.

b) A car is not sold until the money is in the bank.

c) I'm really loving lucky that I consider a car like this an annoyance to sell, when others have to struggle to get financing to be able to have it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

One of my coworkers friended me on facebook and he's doing duck lips in all his photos and he's like 50 and a Republican so I'm confused.

Sounds like he is, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We're not even friendly at work so I don't know what the gently caress. He's just a dude I nod at. But here we are, duck lips.

And you'll never look at him the same again.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I want to print out the best one and tape it to his locker.

You misspelled print it out on a set of t-shirts and have everyone in the office wear them?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I really like the 4 speed auto in my xB. Good torque off the line and shifts really well. Feels great after driving around a nissan CVT for three weeks :v:

How does it compare to the old one? Can you grab the springs from the old one?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ripoff posted:

Nissan CVTs are the only CVT I’ve ever seen that refuses to act like a CVT. I rented a Rogue for a vacation and sat for 5 hours behind a transmission that groaned and hunted for “gears” to make it sound like it was a standard automatic, and it was such a hilariously poo poo thing to do that I couldn’t help but wonder if it was some sort of ECU flash they shoved in the US bound cars at the last second leaving the factory.

If it would’ve behaved like a normal CVT it wouldn’t have been a half-bad CUV, but I guess taking a modern transmission and making it behave like a chunk of tech from 10 years ago is the Nissan way.

My wife's Juke (still in the stupid garage, somebody buy it) has different modes. In "Sport" mode, it does that fake shifting bullshit. It's annoying and makes the car slower. In regular mode, it operates like a normal CVT -- rev the engine up into it's power range and just keeps it there as the car accelerates.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

drat, square. I was coming here to bitch, but my problems seem pretty small now.

I had a clogged kitchen sink drain on Monday. It was a pain in the rear end to clear because I couldn't snake it since it was past the vent. It's happened before and I could snake the vent with a 50' snake on the roof. That didn't work this time. I had to cap the vent and use compressed air to clear it, but it cleared.

However, in the midst of the clog, I was getting water in my downstairs ceiling. I thought I just spilled some under the sink as I was taking the plumbing apart and thought it'd go away. Seemed mostly dry when I checked it yesterday morning, great. However, I noticed some wood flooring curling this morning. :siren: Took the dishwasher out and yep... looks like the dishwasher drain blew, probably associated with the clog (it was in the middle of a cycle when the drain clogged). So... flooring is trash. Bottom of cabinets are trash. Downstairs ceiling is trash. Who knows what fresh hell will be inside when they take it apart.

Man. I'm picky about poo poo, I have no idea how this is going to go.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I thought we were going up in August.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

T-Square posted:

Seems like a pretty lovely situation to me. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a firm believer that someone else's problems no matter how big, shouldn't diminish another person's problems just because they may be worse. And sorry to hear about your friend STR, that poo poo always sucks too.

It doesn't diminish my problems, but it sure keeps them in perspective.

STR posted:

My parents had something semi-similar happen. They put in an instant hot water tap at their kitchen sink (the sink is on the outside west wall, clear across the house from the water heater on the east wall... WH in the attic, pipes run through the slab, so yeah, it takes forever to get hot water in the kitchen). Someone (not pointing fingers at stepdad) didn't tighten a worm clamp. Not an instant water heater setup, but one of those little tiny water heaters that goes to a tap at the sink (the hole is now used by a soap dispenser).

Hello, 5 figure insurance claim - they'd put in hardwood flooring through most of the house (sans bedrooms) at the same time as the kitchen remodel. Wound up having to replace about 1/3 of it, plus drying everything out. They're lucky they caught it pretty early.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. There's some bamboo flooring that trashed, but it's part of ~1000sq ft of that flooring and I have no idea how you'd make that match and still have the super-hard factory coating (we've had it for about 5 years and were just talking about how well it has held up)... and there's some laminate tiles that are trashed too... neither one can be matched in any way that I know. But together it's about 1500sq ft... that's a huge amount of flooring to replace. But anything's fixable, and I know there are companies that do this every day.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh hey I just got married

Welp, something good happened in August. Goondolences and congratulations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

In the immortal words of Peter Fonda, "we blew it." :rip:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/making-easy-rider-peter-fonda-reflects-films-unanswered-question-1223889

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Woke up before the asscrack of dawn to go on a Jeep run. Took a bit of getting ready before I realized that it was remarkably warm in the house. Four degrees above the thermostat set point.

Air handler moving air, but the outside heat pump? Suddenly so quiet that until I went outside to see if it blew the breaker, I thought it wasn't running.

Wife insisted I should go on the Jeep run anyway, but my C10 without front suspension is blocking any access to the attic, and with a 20 year old heat pump I don't like my odds of this being a repair and not a replacement. So time to spend the morning wrenching, I guess.

Did you check the contactor and when was the last time you replaced the capacitor? Those are two of the main and frequent things that fail, to the point that I have extras on my shelf in case. The contactor is abotu $30 and the capacitor about the same from Amazon, but a service place will charge you upwards of $200 for the parts, plus labor. They are both easy to replace.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well the compressor works, but the outside unit fan (and possibly contactor and capacitor) is dead. Makes cold air until it overheats.

Outside fan is another easy DIY replacement, I've got one of those on the shelf, too. They make almost-universal motors that you can wire up to be a bolt-in replacement. I bet it's your capacitor, though.

In my Hello, August, I still have 8 industrial fans and 2 industrial dehumidifiers running in my house. Sound level in the kitchen is over 85db. It's maddening, and the area behind/under the dishwasher is still wet.

I'm looking at cabinet replacement, possible subfloor replacement, an entire re-build of the finished basement, it's absolutely unreal how much damage was done in such a short period of time. Plus, I know it'll be covered by insurance, but I don't have full insurance blessing and that just makes me uncomfortable, knowing it's going to be $20k+ to repair.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have literally never replaced anything on the system other than the thermostat, until today. From the differing layers of dust I think someone (at least 12 years ago!) may have replaced the contactor but the capacitor had what sure looked like a 1999 date code on it.

I shotgunned all of them at it because it's way cheaper than paying someone, I didn't have the time to make multiple trips if I was wrong, and none of the parts in question looked particularly good. The contacts on the contactor were visibly quite worn, the capacitor was old as poo poo (and tested low according to the guy at the parts counter), and the fan blade would stop almost as soon as you let go of it.

I thought I heard an unusual noise when the outside unit kicked on last night - my guess is that the bearings in the fan motor started eating themselves and sometime overnight, the fan thermal-tripped itself off, which would have been shortly followed by the compressor doing the same. I'm going to have to take it apart tonight and fiddle with the wire routing a bit since I'm not 100% on board with my own ziptie solution, but it works for now and it's cooling the house down.

The off-the-top-of-her-head quote a company my wife's friend runs gave us was in the range of $800 to replace all those things, though for some reason they were convinced they would need to be sourced only from Lennox. The universal motor has a much longer shaft than needed ( :smuggo: ) but it still has plenty of room to clear within the unit. I paid just shy of $200 to pick them up at a local appliance parts shop, and if it even gets us a month or two it's money well spent. Personally I'd rather move than replace the unit, but who knows how that will work out.

That's amazing that the original cap lasted that long. Your replacement won't. New caps seem to last about 1-4 years, but they're cheap, so keep the right size on the shelf. The contactors last longer. The fan motor can last a long time.

Glad you're back up and running... plus you did it yourself, which makes it all the better.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

So the Greenland narrative as I have witnessed so far

Is all a diversion that has conveniently removed the focus from gun background checks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

bolind posted:

We're now housemortgage owners!

I'll post a pic when I get to the bottom of this todolist.

News flash: You now own a house. You'll never get to the bottom of the todolist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tremek posted:

Sorry for the delivery address nightmare, this stuff came Monday and I was traveling this week. The frenchie LOVES the toys, and I have half the stuff to take over to my rottie once he's back (he went to the vet today for his ACL surgery - we bring him home, to my dad's house for recovery, tomorrow.)

Yay! By the end of last week, I'd given up! I'm glad it finally showed up, the doggos need some extra love in this hard time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

My wife's XD has been super reliable minus a rear spring getting loose. It's probably the most reliable car we've owned over our 11 years together and pretty much the reason I'm looking at Toyotas exclusively for my next car.

AI: We'll all end up driving Toyotas eventually.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You and what car? :thunk:

Too mean.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Thread title is incorrect.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

My 5 year old laptop doesn't look terrible. This is the first Dell that's held up to my use for over 18 months in almost 20 years of research.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38863962

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

New high point for my HOA. I've had 2 wheels of the Escalade off the driveway and in the grass to give my wife more room to back out while the Juke is still in the garage. I got this little nugget of joy this morning:

quote:

During a recent community inspection on 08/13/19, it was observed that there was a Cadillac SUV with the license plate of xxxx parked in your front yard. If you have not done so already, please remove vehicle from your front yard, per your Association guidelines.

I can't :fuckoff: hard enough. I called so that we can review the pictures they took. Assholes. There's a house across the street that put a loving arbor vidae spite fence in its front yard without repercussions, yet I park with a couple wheels off the grass and it's "parking in the front yard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Boris just asked the Queen to shut down Parliament. :munch:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 28, 2019