Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I'm due to be married August 15, does that count as helping to keep an up note?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

If you arent on AI Slack channel you seriously missed out today

Major BOFH poo poo going on

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

Fun article to start the month. Seems Texas Motor Speedway has banned electric cars from its drag strip.

Not for any reason of competition, but because they're not equipped to put out a lithium fire.

There's been a legit shitfight here because a bunch of series have banned EV's for the same reasons.

Had nothing to do with the large and getting larger performance gap between EV's and ICE of course. Like some guy built a Nissan Leaf with some eye watering motor changes that absolutly smashed the gently caress out of anything this side of a purpose built open wheeler. Or the AWD Moke with Tesla motors that is.... JesusfuckingchristIgoneintoablackholeoffear fast.

Nope, nothing to do with that at all. It's safety. Yeah that

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KakerMix posted:

. Nice computer chairs cost 1000 dollars for a reason.

LOL no computer chair is worth a grand. Not unless it gives you a back rub and a cock massage

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Ferrari definitely is concerned about how they are perceived: Bloomberg link

LMAO. What a hill to die on from the prancing horse.

HAHAHAHAHA are Ferrari for loving real here? Thats dude is EXACTLY what Ferrari's image is. Any judge who is capable of breathing is going to tell Ferrari to gently caress off.

Honestly I hope that dude doubles down and give Ferrari a huge gently caress you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Speaking of stupid poo poo.... LS into the 300Z:

Oh there is nothing stupid about that at all - looks goooood

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

STR posted:

So a shooting in my home town next to the mall I spent entirely too much time at as a kid and teen.

And the shooter lives ~15 minutes from my parents.

Okay I know exactly nothing about this so let me guess at the shooter.

White, middle class, say early 20's, manifesto is a greatest hits of the poo poo Trump spews, military style weapon.

How did I do?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

100%, almost like it's predictable.

And then watch absolutly nothing being done about it except another round of loving thoughts and prayers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

everdave posted:

I know almost nothing about this shooting except it’s horrible and there is no winning here, but no I’ll never give up Mah Guns just how it be. If I could snap my fingers and the world was at peace I would.

It's not about guns anymore. Even Aust style gun control is gonna do jack poo poo when you have these terrorists willing to shoot up random supermarkets.

It's about the shithead in the WhiteHouse stirring up assclowns. These fucks are just picking up the easiest thing to mass slaughter they can find but you can bet your house they would be using whatever they could find or making bombs instead if they didnt have guns. The REAL cause aint you can buy a AK47 easy as you please.... its the fact the GOP have been stirring up white facists for years and Trump has turned the dial up to 11. Anyone that voted for those assholes and Trump despite ALL the evidence just how bad an idea that was, then stands aside while the hate train is thrown into notch 8 really need a careful look at themselves at what they helped bring about.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Another mass shooting in Dayton, OH.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/us/dayton-ohio-shooting.html

Goddamnit.

Do we even to take a guess what the shooter was?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

\ No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.

Yeah nah, they gonna put whatever the cheapest piss they can find for it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Meanwhile, I'm putting Premium (93, here in TX!) in our $600 Subaru, because it says so in the manual (3.0 H6). At some point I'll switch to Regular for a couple tanks just to see how it runs, I guess.

Not a good idea. The 3.0 H6 is a fairly finnicky motor that is high static compression and it does not like lower octane fuel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

We'll this isn't a very AI attitude is it?

As much as a I *love* the 850i....... dealing with the constant barrage of issues they have would prolly take any energy I have left to spare. I got no money so..... lovely Subarus it is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I dont remember feeling this anxious on any other trip to Canada. But I didnt have 10 Grand worth of race bike packed and I wasnt getting married either those other times.

This is my second marriage and I know all too well how things can gently caress up let alone I'm going halfway around the world to do this. Guess mostly I want to get out of here and get on with it. At least yesterday I forgot most of it and just belted out 122kms on the race bike which was glorious abeit in incredibly windy conditions.

It does amuse me me in one respect - all these years thinking marriage was a waste of time and yet here I go again. At least "To import a drat good Canadian" is a great reason.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Humphreys posted:

I feel terrible for my oldest friend. His wife is undergoing first round of chemo for cancer in her chest. No one deserves to go through this especially her with two younglings under 5. However I have a moral predicament. They setup a GoFundMe but I know for a fact they have private medical cover AND friend is a miner on a healthy 6 figure income and she is an accountant. Not exactly short of money. I want to support them one way or another but I think the GoFundMe is a really poo poo thing to pull.

Even in Australia cancer treatment with private medical is insanely expensive out of pocket. They are easily going to have every scrap of saving consumed so fast and they are down one income. Medicare is way better but even then still gonna be plenty of costs not covered

Thak gently caress we aint the USA tho on this one.

Full coverage of any cancer treatment was one of the promises by Labor in the last election and welp so many people fell for the scare campaign by the LNP about being taxed so nope we cant have that nice thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

She's moving to Aus with you?

Not this year but yes. Hopefully everything lines up visawise and I get to take her to her new home next year

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Why would you choose flaming spiders over old people and rain

There's this stuff that falls from the sky called "snow". Would you believe it's frozen water? Good lord it's absolutly ghastly stuff. And would you also believe there's this thing that happens on cars called "rust"? It's true! Cars actually fall apart due to this substance. And everyone there is so polite and saying sorry all the time and there's no black and white birds trying to murder you. It's just... WRONG I tell you!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

You live in the land of roos, dingos, big fuckoff spiders, and drop bears. All of which are out there actively attempting to murder you.

And you're scared of a little ice and iron oxide?

There's a difference between "scared" and "what the gently caress is this poo poo?"

I mean..... hockey sticks. Just wrong. Whats wrong with cricket bats to belt the hell out of nazis?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Spoderman : Into the Spiderverse lives up to the hype. drat that it good

Atila BattleAngel on the other hand... what a loving turd

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

rdb posted:

My wifes crosstrek does the fake gears thing. I agree, it makes it worse than a normal cvt but they need to fool a certain group of people (boomers) who would think its broke otherwise.

It actually makes it better because in normal mode the Crosstrek's CVT is a rabid piece of utter poo poo in full CVT mode...... and just a piece of utter poo poo in sports modes. Trying to make a CVT work as a CVT simply doesn't work in the real world. In reality the only good thing a CVT does is give you ability to have an absolute moonshot final ratio that gives you cruising fuel economy - while otherwise having the engine working in different areas of the rev band is EXACTLY how real driving works. And frankly the difference is even more stark where I have a CVT programming above what is offered on the Outback or Crosstrek in the Levorg where it works exactly like a 8 speed auto and it is completely and utterly clear in that mode that CVT's are a dumb loving idea for a car.

Hell, I dont need to even go to S# mode - I tip the shifter to M and it will not change "gears" unless I tell it to (except when coming to stop where it will set "First"). And simply put the gearbox is much better even dicking around to the shops and back.

With the Crosstrek the CVT is hot fuckign garbage whatever mode, the Outback is a deal better, the Levorg is about as good as a CVT can get.... which actually is pretty loving damning esp considering that you HAVE to put it into S# modes and go paddle select to actually be worth a fart in hurricane.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress it. Shut it down. Life is called off until September.

Dont you even DARE cancel August. Especially not tomorrow.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh hey I just got married

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

So as well as getting married, I seem to have accquired a step-daughter.

Ummmm... okay I have zero experience with any children what now? How easy is it to teach them how to drive?

Seriously tho, one of the best parts of yesterday was having 20 mins with her alone before the wedding just talking.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

165kms of the worst loving roads and nastiest hills on the bike.

Why did I agree to signing up to that event I'll never know.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sgt Fox posted:

You did the long route? You would have biked past my road, I was trapped from 8-12, as they closed it.

Yep, long route. I was wondering if we passed your front door :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Whaaaaaaaaat the gently caress that engine is all that's left of the bike?!?!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

AI: We'll all end up driving Toyotas eventually.

Oh god I hope not :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

Says the guy who fools around with Toyobarus.

There aint no Toyota in that car anymore :-p

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ferremit posted:

I must be getting old... I actually paid for an adobe product (their photography suite) on creative cloud because it was just simpler to throw $14 a month at Adobe than to try and get a pirated version working.

RawTherapee will do most of what Lightroom will and it's free

And for just batch conversion, Infaview64.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The 3.8 is a cockroach motor....? Man do I ever beg to disagree on that - They aint got poo poo on Falcon I6's for sheer how the gently caress do you kill em.

I now get why camera NEEEEEEEEEEERDS like trying to get Birds in Flight. That poo poo is difficult, mostly boring but occasionally rewarding.

- poo poo light and not the best I still ..... just a nice chilled out day while the wife was at work.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tremek posted:

You may be able to install it but FreeNAS has two peculiar but important requirements around RAM:

1) I think 8GB is the minimum, and

2) They highly suggest you use ECC RAM so that in conjunction with ZFS, you can prevent bit rot and not write a bad bit back to the disk array. While the reasons for this aren’t quite as dire as the freenas nerds would have you believe, it’s still not a bad idea.

So far I continue to be happy with it chooching along without having to do much after initial config. 16-32GB ECC RAM is probably the second largest expense following disks but I think it’s worth it.

a) You can do it on 4Gb but for the love of god DONT DO IT

b) I tend to use ECC RAM on my FreeNAS boxes. Also the other thing is that it is highly recomennded to use a proper USB HDD as a boot device rather than a generic USB key. FreeNAS neeeerds dont like actual HDD's for boot installs which I generally dont get as a small SSD makes for a good reliable and quick boot device.... but pretty much I've had failures with more generic USB sticks so we have standardised on a SANDisk USB3 (the exact model I dont know off the top of my head but it's a SSD USB) and have had no problems with that.

We run a bunch of FreeNAS and NetAPP SANS depending on the critical nature. Honestly FreeNAS is pretty drat sweet

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You’ll need to clarify because Britain, Australia and the US are all gunning for the lead.

Britain and the USA are so goddamn far in the lead we'd have to resurrect Tony Abbott's dead political career, clone him 50 times and make the entire cabinet the clones to even be in within screaming distance.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

some people only view dogs as the little yippy purse dogs, or the tear a child apart dogs, and don't realize most of them are just big dumb cats.

LOL Dogs only WISH they were cool like cats.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

everdave posted:

Yes pedals are the same, blinker stalk is on opposite side. The main surprising thing is the manual gear shift IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS USA. I just assumed they would be flipped. So first gear is way over on the same side as it would be for USA LHD car.

Not true on the stalk. It can be either side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Well on my way back home. It's certainly been a hell of a August for me. Dunno how the gently caress we're gonna get this visa poo poo done given how notorious Dept of Immigration here are but..... we'll work through it. Living in Canada for a while might actually be on to satisfy the "live together" requirement.

Oh and the 7 grand to apply. Well we knew that but GG it's just ridiculous all the same.