Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Seriously considering leasing a Mazda 6 estate 2.0 petrol. Any input on that? (Other than FAT32 SHAMER wrote the UI.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Went and test drove a Mazda 6 wagon. 2.0 165 horsies. Top of the line and a slushbox, I'm getting neither.

Cliff notes:

THE GOOD
  • 8k RPM redline!
  • Seat fits me like a glove.
  • Holds a gear in "sport" mode.
  • HUD is awesome.
  • Ventilated seats!
  • Does get out of its own way.
  • Tinted rear windows are standard on all trim levels.

THE BAD
  • No ISOFIX on front passenger seat.
  • Coming from a BMW M leather steering wheel the one on the mazda feels thin and plasticy.
  • Doesn't feel like 165HP.
  • Lane assist is annoying
  • So are the other nanny features
  • And the electric parking brake
  • Comes with a loving CD player. In TYOOL 2019. Dafuq.

All in all I'm not madly deeply in love. Looks fantastic, though!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Also might want to research if Mazda fixed the bearing issue with the 6's slushbox before you buy. I was considering a used one until I found out about it.

It's brand new, I'll be leasing, and won't be getting a slushbox, but thanks for the headsup anyway.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is this a thing elsewhere? I've never seen LATCH / ISOFIX on a front seat in the US in anything with more than one row of seating.

I have no idea, I can see many good arguments for not having it. But my 12 year old E87 BMW has it, and it's godsend in two scenarios: when wanting to fit five people in the car and not wanting a modern car seat to take up half the rear seat, and when needing to fold the rears seats and transport a sprog. Granted, the last one doesn't happen very often, but the first one does.

Fake edit: or when driving said sprog alone and wanting some interaction. My almost-two-year-old loves being in the front.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
We're now housemortgage owners!

I'll post a pic when I get to the bottom of this todolist.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

So... Never?

:v: Congrats though

meatpimp posted:

News flash: You now own a house. You'll never get to the bottom of the todolist.

Deep down I know (insert giving up science emoji here, can't loving find it.)

So gently caress the todolist, here's the pic:

On the left, kinda where all that junk is, is where the garage will hopefully be built. Aiming for just under 7x7 meters.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

That's a seriously cool home, congrats.

KillHour posted:

Holy crap. A new home that isn't a cookie cutter plastic dollhouse or a mcmansion monstrosity. Good job dude.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

To be fair the danish have taste

Thanks. We're pretty happy with how it turned out. Yeah if we'd had more money and were allowed to build bigger etc. things could have been done differently, but so far very few gripes.

One word of unsolicited advice to any wannabe house designers though: if you're not swimming in square feet, insist on a few final iterations to utilize what space you have in the most efficient way. For instance, we have a big ugly manifold for the heated floors sticking out, right smack in the middle of prime closet real estate. There's, like, a small handful of places where that could've lived, with much better results, but now it's literally set in stone and we're stuck with it until we move.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Raluek posted:

I wonder if there is any malware in the wild anymore that targets OS9...

Talking out of my rear end here, but I’d say that once that stuff exists, it’s just added to the scripts. Think of how much windows 98 stuff that still appears in, for example, web server logs.

Spent the first night in the new house. Apparently we’ve moved to boomer suburbia because at 05:45 a guy on a moped started delivering real physical paper newspapers into mailboxes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hong Kong is awesome, presumably still with tear gas. Hit up Wooloomooloo for steak if you’re feeling rich. Hit up any schmancy rooftop bar if you wanna feel like a baller. Go on a junk boat trip. Go hiking.

There’s a super cool little Biang Biang noodle place in TST. PM me and I’ll dig up the address.

Drink all of the Pokari Sweat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Humphreys posted:

For fun I just tried my old logins for Electrolux/LG/Samsung/F&P/Whirlpool web portals. Yup, corporate insecurities with passwords stays true years later.

I still, 3+ years on, have access to O’Reilly online, courtesy of my old^2 job.