Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

All this PNW chat has me a little homesick, I grew up southwest of Portland and moved away to Colorado in 1999. My immediate family still all lives there so we vacation there twice a year to visit. My daughter starts her senior year of high school in 2 weeks, and she wants to go to college somewhere in the northwest. Regardless, unless she stays in Colorado, I'll be moving back to Oregon next fall to wind down the clock with my 82 year old dad. So see you next year Oregoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's not about guns anymore. Even Aust style gun control is gonna do jack poo poo when you have these terrorists willing to shoot up random supermarkets.

It's about the shithead in the WhiteHouse stirring up assclowns. These fucks are just picking up the easiest thing to mass slaughter they can find but you can bet your house they would be using whatever they could find or making bombs instead if they didnt have guns. The REAL cause aint you can buy a AK47 easy as you please.... its the fact the GOP have been stirring up white facists for years and Trump has turned the dial up to 11. Anyone that voted for those assholes and Trump despite ALL the evidence just how bad an idea that was, then stands aside while the hate train is thrown into notch 8 really need a careful look at themselves at what they helped bring about.

Of course that's part of it, but it goes way beyond that. There's a lot of frustration in this country and the spin machine has kept the attention off of the real culprits for a long time. It's full-on class warfare and a return to early 1900s robber barons that have destroyed the middle class. There's rich and there's poor and their incomes have changed in opposite directions for almost 50 years now. And when you're pissed off, fascism is an appealing religion.

The spin machine makes these frustrated people think it's their peers that are the problem and it's not. These things should be happening in the executive offices of banks, megacorps, and military contractors, not loving wal-marts.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

KillHour posted:

That came on when I was driving and wouldn't go off. It went away when I left it off for 10 minutes. Hopefully, it doesn't come back.

Did you have anything on the passenger seat? The occupancy sensors can trip if you put a package on there that's lighter than an adult but heavier than nothing, the car thinks you have a baby or child there.

I had the seatbelt warning dinging at me once in my daughter's car and I couldn't figure out why until I realized that I had a bag of groceries on the seat. It was just heavy enough to fool the car.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nm posted:

Finally had to replace the 7 year old battery in my Mazda.
Did batteries always cost $150?
I'm sure I got robbed because it was stone dead and I couldn't wait for my dad's costco card (where they are apparently $80 somehow).

I paid $260 for my last battery, an X2 power AGM, made in USA, 5 year non prorated warranty. Going on 6+ years in a car that is driven about once every 3 weeks, only failed to start once in the dead of winter after 8 weeks of sitting, and that was over a year ago. I feel like I got my money's worth. Also I know it's completely stupid but I love that it's blue and silver like my car:

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 7, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Claire is the best. We've been binging on her lately and we'll watch this one tonight.

Same here. I have such a huge crush on her. Bon Appetit has really stumbled on to greatness with some of their youtube shows.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

RE:Title shenanigans

So the reason for that problem is that dealers don't transfer title into their own name, they notify the DMV and the DMV is supposed to just put some sort of flag on the title that shows temporary dealer ownership. In Oregon that is a little D on the corner of their data screen. So when they sell the car they mail in the old title and paperwork and the new poo poo is mailed to the new owner. Apparently in this case the car was wrecked before the title came in the mail and they don't want to keep waiting. They'll get a title eventually, they're just bugging you for it early.

A woman once used this feature to steal a car from my dad. She bought the thing but never paid, so he repo'd it. She went to the previous owner, had them fill out a lost title form, got a replacement title, signed it over to the woman, and she took her new title and the police to my dad's shop (while my dad wasn't there) and the cops forced his grunts to hand over the car.

The last time my dad saw the car the rear end in a top hat drove right past his house and waved. Fortunately, my dad went to the DMV and they realized their mistake - they never should have issued a replacement title with the little D in the corner of the screen. So they instantly voided her forged title, and the car was flagged as stolen so it couldn't be registered.

She sat on the car for several years out of spite, then finally came and offered a settlement payment which he accepted, and she sold it without ever using it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I don't mind having to hunt for good music, makes you feel cool when you find it. The market for music is massive, a band can put out a couple fantastic albums and never make the radio, but that's what spotify and other music servers are for.

I find most bands I listen to through random youtube views, "related views", "customers who bought this also bought..." on amazon, and recommendations of friends. I'm enjoying the synthwave resurgence due to someone posting gunship in this here forum last year. And I really enjoy hearing someone great in the background of a TV show or movie and finding out that all of their songs are great.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So as well as getting married, I seem to have accquired a step-daughter.

Ummmm... okay I have zero experience with any children what now? How easy is it to teach them how to drive?

Seriously tho, one of the best parts of yesterday was having 20 mins with her alone before the wedding just talking.

Once you get over the terror of them not having any reflexes or judgment and teach it to them, it's pretty fun. My daughter has passed the year and is over 60 hours now, and is ready for her test. When we drive at this point I just nitpick about cutting too close to the edge of a lane and letting off the gas when she changes lanes. She was really nervous at first but her confidence skyrocketed after about the 30 hour mark. I think the hardest part is learning to really communicate, yelling WHOA WHOA WHOA doesn't alert them to what you are reacting to in any useful way, but that's how I reflexively do it, took a lot of work to be truly communicative in a panic situation.

Also there are guides for parents that remind you what is most important to teach first, and when to step up to more advanced and dangerous things. Like they don't recommend highways until 20 hours or more.

Outside of driving my general recommendation would be to just be her friend, don't treat her like anything more. Especially if she has a dad active in her life.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 17, 2019

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Tremek posted:

Looks like down north of the Springs?

Yeah she went down there to re-take the SAT this summer, so she drove the whole way and got some good hours and freeway practice in.

Finally cool enough this morning to get some work done on my project. I like late summer and fall the most.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Hate to say it but one of the best things about getting divorced was no longer dealing with a clutterbug. My place gets dusty before it gets cluttered.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Hyperdrive is a hell of a lot of fun. I'm in episode 5 and they really pull back on the commentary. Way better than other reality shows. I like that it's well represented by women too. I cried like a baby when the BMW engine gave up on Stacey from South Africa. Pulled all my dad strings.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

MrChips posted:

I did that last year; I was making steak and ale pie and I had just pulled the dutch oven out of the oven and I set it on the stovetop for a moment while I finished preparing the pastry. I went back and grabbed the dutch oven without my oven mitts on, like, full-on grabbed the handles and held on tight for about a fraction of a second before I dropped it back to the stovetop. At least it didn't spill or do damage to the glass cooktop when I dropped it.

For me it was last thursday at work, I had a trim piece for a machine that was just a hair too long so I sanded it down on a disc sander and got it pretty hot. Took it back to the machine to check the fit and it slipped out of my hand, of course I caught it by the hot end, burned my hand, and dropped it again.

Got some work done on my convertible in the cool late night air so now I'm just winding down before climbing in to bed. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Aw that’s a bummer but not hugely surprising. I feel like nobody was watching it or even knew about it.

Yeah I also think it was great, but I heard about it here and nobody I recommended it to in the real world ever checked it out. I can see it having fairly limited appeal, as it did daring things and was really really dark at times. That whole detective micropenis character development was a bit hard to watch and I could see the masses not enjoying that at all. And it got extremely bleak at the end of S2, dude really needed a win and didn't ever get one.