Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Started the claims process with AAA for my torched BMW and Aprilia. They will both be writeoffs. The AAA adjuster sent two DMV documents for e-signing that appear to be stating I am not retaining the vehicles.

The motorcycle is a pile of glowing slag ala Chernobyl and I don't plan on trying to salvage anything from the BMW (engine is sadly still perfect...), but am I correct in holding off on signing ANYTHING until I have seen payout amounts and agreed to them? Because that is my gut feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ripoff posted:

I’m not a chat thread regular, what happened to your bike and car? :stare: Also, I’m not sure how this works normally but are they asking you to sign the documents saying you aren’t holding on to them for spare parts / resale? They may not want to quote you on what the payment will be until then, but it seems kinda weird to have you sign something up front like that.

Garage fire :( Photos posted near the end of last months' chat thread. I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

I replied to her email with more detailed info and recent photos of the vehicles (thank god I detailed them both and took glamour shots last year).

The Door Frame posted:

Depending on your state and the age of the vehicle, you might have the right of first refusal for buying back a totalled vehicle. Going through contracts and relevant laws is always good practice before signing, so good gut feeling, I suppose

I'm in CA. I considered talking to the guys at my BMW shop and seeing if they wanted a clean I6 but decided I don't really want to deal with all that.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I haven't had a chance to pore over the documents yet but I think you are correct on them being related to me not buying the vehicle back. Will review them closely over the weekend and have more info - I've never made a claim like this in my life so I'm wary. The email also requested I mail keys/pink slips to the adjustor and like, I know I'm going to have to do it eventually it just feels so weird.

Update: They're eforms of the DMV title transfer paperwork from me to AAA and some further salvage title forms with their name on it. I viewed them but didn't sign anything yet.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tremek posted:

They're these so that's not a bad idea. Someone or someones have been going through what little poo poo is identifiable in that garage as of late so maybe they just disappeared, who the gently caress knows. My impact gun and breaker bars were in the garage though so I am somewhat ineffective in this pursuit at the moment.

PS, gently caress you looters

Wait hold on here; your charred remnants are getting actually legit looted? What/where the hell is this? :berninator:

(lol at that emoticon btw)

I can smell that burnt garage smell from here man, sorry

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Do any of you guys or gals have input on a good indoor TV antenna in the ~$50 range? I just started researching this stuff today hah, so I'm learning. It looks like nearly all of the channels in the area are UHF. This is for a friend who doesn't watch a whole lot of TV, but would like to be able to see the major networks etc. If I'm reading the map correctly, the channels she most cares about are coming from the SE which is good because she has a couple windows facing that direction for mounting.

Was considering between these two from my limited research:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HZD5MUM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSMK580/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

*sits back, waits for extremely detailed STR response down to material composition*

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

I would gladly choose flaming spiders over old people and rain

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

fknlo posted:

Welcome to the world of cheaper RWD cars! And hell, even the not that cheap ones. I swear at least half the M3's in my price range while I was shopping had at least some sort of reported damage on top of a ton of them with salvage titles. It gets worse with every generation you go back too.

It's not just sportscars. I'm looking at 4door Jeeps and every time a price piques my interest, every time, it's a salvage title lol

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I miss being blown away by a new band or album coming out, it's all been done already and nothing sounds new or fresh to me anymore, just a variation of poo poo that's been done already.

When you've experienced the innovation of rock music (or music in general really) from the 70's into the 90's nothing really comes close these days tbh. Doesn't really have much to do with my youth, because I can still listen to that music today so there's no yearning for something that isn't there anymore or something. I can still listen to Alice In Chains' Dirt and remember the first time I listened to it not long after it dropped in record stores, thinking holy poo poo what is this. That just doesn't happen anymore.

I feel like this is more a result of our youthful brains experiencing things for the first time versus listening to new tunes as an older, more jaded person. I can listen to lovely old low-bitrate MP3s I downloaded on Napster twenty years ago (holy gently caress) and get crazy feels I don't get with recent releases, but that's just nostalgia. I finally ponied up for a paid Spotify account and have had a lot of fun while commuting trying out new stuff I would normally write off as pop garbage. Sure, most of the time I'm rocking The Grateful Dead or nineties alt-rock or whatever but you know what, this Billie Eilish chick has some catchy tracks. I don't know jack about actual musical composition or whatever, so maybe that helps but I made it a point years ago to try to enjoy new music as best I can because nothing says grumpy old man more than a music snob who only likes albums from highschool.

In other more car-related notes, AAA really came through on my claims for my total-loss E46 and Aprilia V4R that got melted in my dad's garage fire. I was especially concerned about the motorcycle since it's somewhat rare in my area and had a factory/dealer-installed performance package I had no receipts for. The adjustor worked with me based on photographs I had, and they paid out just $650 shy of what I bought it for it five years ago. E46 prices are pretty much bottomed out right now, but I had recent glamor shots of it after I did a full claybar detail and those combined with the low milage got me a more than fair payout. Overall it was a very painless process and I'd definitely recommend them for auto insurance.

RIP :gonk:

~happier days~

I won't lie, it was hard to watch the BMW go out to it's new future of getting torn apart at a pick-n-pull. That drat thing never let me down despite it's German heritage and I planned on keeping it until it was a classic. It was clean as hell and I have a lot of good memories in that car :( It's just nostalgia though right? Hahah.

:member:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ferremit posted:

:eyepop: Thats mindblowing how much that bike has melted down to a pile of slag!

Yeah seriously, it's morbidly fascinating. The heads melted off and I could look down into the top end. It was parked right in the main door which was open, so it got completely blast-furnaced via airflow induction from a rear window & door in the back of the garage. It was also right next to a cabinet full of paint/solvents/a few gallons of motor oil. The forks and wheels are completely incinerated with no trace left.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

nm posted:

FYI, this is absolutely the exception and I encourage anyone in California to dump AAA insurance like their HS girlfriend dumped them.

:stare: Well poo poo, I guess I got lucky because it was a very simple process for me. Like, I think it would have been a struggle to match what I got if I was selling on craigslist. Do you say that due to the incident where the woman hit you, or have you seen it in other cases in your lawyering? One of the firemen the day of the fire asked me who the bike was insured with and said " oh that's too bad" when I told him so you're not the only one to bring this up.

I was planning on keeping AAA for whatever I car I get next, but I guess I will need to do some shopping around. Which insurance companies have you AI folk had good experiences with?

fknlo posted:

My AAA insurance experience: a total disaster

Geeze that sounds like a terrible experience. Guess I got double lucky.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

drat, that's awful. Sorry about losing your badass relative man :(

What is everyone using to search for used cars these days? I'm on the market and haven't bought in years; feel like I'm probably missing out by only using craigslist and autotrader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

As meatpimp said that's got to be pretty amazing to watch. Stay uninvolved and safe.

Seriously. Try not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. 6'4" beard guy who works for the US government sounds like a spy suspect to me, and I'd know - I've seen a lot of movies.