Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

shy boy from chess club posted:

New chat thread new Scout pics

Fluff shot

Wanna pet stinky kitty :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I couldn't even imagine spending $1k+ on a god drat chair....until I sat on a Herman Miller Embody.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah, I want to know what the difference is on a $25k truck, not the $70k version. No one who buys a $70k blinged out extra boost F-150 is going to consider using 87 in it.
My sister routinely put the cheapest poo poo she could find in her brand new escalade that required premium.

Pretty sure she does the same with their current twin turbo X5.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got the call last night re: my stepdads cancer diagnosis from the beginning of last months poo poo-show.

The good news: is it hasn't spread. Localized to a tumor in his lung.

Bad news, it's too big (@10CM/4") that it is inoperable where it is.

He's starting radiation and chemo with some experimental trial to see if they can shrink it enough to operate on it. He is going to break the news to his 90+ year old mother this weekend.

Whelp, the roller coaster has just left the station.

PS - Don't smoke ladys and germs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

T-Square posted:

Didn't they find the mass quite a while ago now? I was getting pissed at how long it took to confirm my girlfriend's cancer diagnosis, but really it was only two-three weeks since she first went to her doctor and got an ultrasound for abdominal pains. (Not counting the inept Urgent Care that shoved her out the door a couple of weeks prior and told her she's fine.)

SPEAKING OF, I just got back in the office from having the morning off to go with her to talk to the Physician Assistant that works with our Oncologist to learn about chemotherapy and the two other drugs she'll be on starting next week, and insurance denied her PET scan once again.

So: We KNOW that she has Stage IV breast cancer, meaning we KNOW that it's spread to at least one other part of her body (liver), we KNOW the cancer subtype and how we're going to treat it, and insurance is STILL going "Lol PET scan, gently caress that no way." So now we have to go do three CT scans tomorrow AM, chest, abdomen, and pelvic area, as well as a bone scan. It's truly loving mind-boggling.

It was officially diagnosed about 2-3 weeks ago after the mass was inadvertently discovered while taking an xray for his hernia a month ago.

Wheels are in motion and treatments will be commencing immently.

Also, jesus gently caress I feel for you guys. That's awful :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Is it medical grade CBD made from Cannabis or Hemp CBD? Because Hemp CBD is worthless.

There are times when I will take up to 50mg in one day depending on how I feel, some days I don't take any. Tincture/oil drops under the tongue work the best in my experience.

I recently tried CBD (Cannibis) sublingual and it was absolutely worthless for me. I was hoping it would help my sleep and maybe the back pain I sometimes get..... but on me it was worthless on both counts. A little disappointed after all the :350: promoters kept saying how it basically helps everything (which is a super red flag I know) but I was a little optimistic.

Oh well.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We only live about 10 minutes from work, but we carpool 90% of the time with my company truck (her office is 3 blocks from mine). Massive money saver for sure, but it does handcuff me a little bit if our schedules don't quite mesh.. IE: I am tied up later than planned at work, vice versa.

RE: CBD. I tried taking it 3 days in a row with no discernible effect - maybe I'll keep going a little longer on it to see if it does anything at all before turfing it. I purposely bought the kind with minimal (~0.6mg or something) THC so I don't think it's good for much else.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not going to lie, Absolutely would. It looks totally liveable too. Taxes aren't even that bad considering.

Crotch Fruit posted:

In May, my Dad was diagnosed with cancer, he had his first round of chemo last Tuesday. Thus far, he is trying to remain positive, he has even said he fells happy and kinda relieved. His income is about to run out and the 6-18 months the doctors gave him will mean he won't have to worry about going back to work. I just hope my Dad is able to keep enough saved up to pay his taxes and not get his income seized, keeping enough saved for taxes has been difficult in the past. It's a substantial amount, and to make it worse it's a county tax that just keeps going up several percent each and every year. I'm certain the positive attitude won't last long, hell I'm sure he is worried right now but just doesn't want to show it.

The part that sucks about this is my Dad and his doctors are always very optimistic about his problems and then they go and find something way worse than expected. Case in point, a couple years ago he had a blister on his toe, a loving huge blister but "just a blister". After a few months with super antibiotics that would totally cure the infection he ended up with on dialysis with his kidneys crashing and he lost half of his foot. In April, he went in to his doctor because of acid reflux, he was scheduled to have his gallbladder removed in two weeks but my sisters doctor could do it sooner. Except my sister's doc was more thorough and found that his gallbladder was fine but his stomach was blocked by a massive cancer tumor thus causing the acid reflux. This tumor was totally going to be removed by a 2hr non-invasive surgery which turned into an 12hr open surgery that gave him a complimentary gastric bypass and left "a little bit" of cancer on one of his organs. Tuesday and Wednesday my Dad was telling me how the chemo drugs were nothing, couldn't feel anything. . . then yesterday he said he was feeling constant dizziness and nausea. I've learned to expect that when my Dad and his doctors say "everything is awesome" poo poo is about to go south.
Sorry to hear that - going through about the same thing right now with my retired stepdad, except you know, the not having to worry about going broke and being homeless because :canada:

Good luck dude.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've seen that in several states and provinces.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

STR posted:

First time at a Catholic service of any kind. They kept it surprisingly short (only about an hour), and the parents encouraged jeans and band shirts, since that's all friend ever wore. Somehow I didn't completely lose it (I don't handle funerals well), but there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Good to see all of my old friends; first time in at least 12-14 years we've all been in the same place at the same time. Definitely the last time we'll be in the same place at the same time. Had no idea that not only did a couple have kids, said kids were in loving high school.
Condolences for this.

Out of curiosity, did it end up that your friend went the suicide route? Some Catholic diocese are very cagey with that and the last sacrament and interning in a Catholic cemetery.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Which model did you end up with?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sorry about your allergy poo poo powershift, itching like that sucks.

My old laptop is rocking an MSI GT72 i7-5950hq with a gtx970m and the drat thing hums along.

My desktop is a i7-6700k with 32gb and 1080ti and I still can't sees reason to upgrade the cpu or GPU.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

HandlingByJebus posted:

Travel insurance suggests that I attempt self-sodomy since “police report no signs of forced entry”, i.e. they’re blaming us for the situation. AirBnb obviously gives zero fucks. The only things stolen that nobody’s dicking us about on is my wife’s headphones (Shure SE215s with BT2 cables - like $350 or so), and that’s through the credit card’s purchase protection... :sigh:

Last ditch is to call home insurance provider today. Fingers crossed we’re not actually out the $14k I put on our Visa card last night :suicide:
drat man. That sucks. Really, really sucks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

Edit: speaking of deals, one of you guys buy this, put it on BaT, then reap major profit. I don't have the time right now.

https://www.cedarrapidstoyota.com/used/Toyota/1975-Toyota-Land+Cruiser+FJ55-hiawatha-ia-9eeb99f10a0d0cc72f5092d3d13aa3e7.htm
Yeah, you probably could. The body on that thing is in a condition that I haven't seen since the 70s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Props to Maui Jim sunglasses.

Had a couple pair that I've had for years (one I keep in the daily use vehicle, 1 for other use) and finally, one of the arms gave way and fell off. The lenses are very tough and scratch resistant, but the lenses on both were scratched enough to be a distraction so I sent both of them in to get repaired.

They were many, many years out of warranty so I had to pay for the repair. So old, the model/serial #s were completely worn off of the arms on both pairs.

So, for the grand sum of $15 inspection fee and $100 for new lenses on a pair, today I received via Fed Ex 2x brand new pair ($230+ :canada: ea) of glasses, complete with hard and soft cases.

Also bought some groceries at noon and stopped by the next door local pizza joint for an awesome $3 slice.

Its been a good day so far. :)

Probably get in a fatal wreck on my way back to the office... good days don't happen to me anymore :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/now-6500/1450719597

quick, someobody lend me like, $6,485

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
I would love that.

His ad says garaged kept, but I'd be surprised if that thing could even fit in the attached garage in the photo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bosch dishwashers are the bees knees. I'll never own a different brand. I throw in poo poo I can't clean by hand without steel wool and they come out great. Things like baked on oatmeal and eggs.

Those that have trouble drying, ensure you do NOT open the door. Leave it closed, preferably overnight. They dry via the condensing method (not an element like virtually every major north american mfg) and use retained heat from the washing cycle for drying. That will get rid of 95% of any excess water after drying issues that you have.

Because of this they are far, far more energy efficient than the big name north american units and also not going to melt anything plastic that falls to the bottom or gets too close to the element.

The Korean brands (LG, Samsung) are OK, until you run into a problem. Parts availability sucks so much that one of our local repair outfits won't even offer to repair them anymore. My sister had to wait 3 months for a part for her washing machine. That was fun for a family of 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well coolant doesn't really evaporate, at least not quickly, so you should be able to find the origin it if it's truly leaking.

What kind of vehicle? Does it have frost plugs? How about the lines to/from the expansion tank? Water pump is an obvious suspect but not necessarily the culprit. There can be several hoses containing coolant.

No trace in the oil I hope?