Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

using the same password for every website, except they forget it somehow and have to change it, so they now have five different passwords and can't remember which one to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
thinking that the comments on a picture of someone famous on Facebook are going directly to the person pictures instead of the person who posted the picture

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweevo posted:

reading comment sections at all

I’d say participating in them.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

totalcommander
tortoisesvn

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

ftp

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
writing down all their passwords in a tiny rear end notebook

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Zlodo posted:

writing down all their passwords in a tiny rear end notebook

mine isnt that tiny

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

back in the day people were constantly told not to write down passwords in case your house was robbed and they stole you bank logins.

with how often sites are hacked or people fall for phishing scams its probably the safest way to remember passwords

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

thats where im at.

the possibility that someone will hack lastpass or whatever is a lot higher than someone breaking into my house and steal all my passwords imo, and if they do i will know it immediately.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

some people getting away with things going from "no writing down your password now" to "before enabling 2fa print this clearly labeled overriding recovery key" without a moment of reflection or the ridicule they are due.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
installing coupon plugins that hoover up all browsing activity and make the computer spool up fans just surfing the internet

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hed posted:

installing coupon plugins that hoover up all browsing activity and make the computer spool up fans just surfing the internet

browsers are building these in now

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

a complete lack of object permanence for anything that has scrolled off the screen

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

typing the http://www. and .com part of every website they go to

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

typing the http://www. and .com part of every website they go to

typing https://www.google.com into the address bar (that also searches google) before typing their query in the search box that searches google

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

going to google to search for youtube so they can get a link to youtube.com to click on

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the same but for "facebook login", then when facebook makes a change to its login page and a news site reporting the change becomes the top link for that search, slamming headfirst into the comments section of the article to ask WHERE FACEBOOK

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

carry on then posted:

typing https://www.google.com into the address bar (that also searches google) before typing their query in the search box that searches google

you forgot the part where after typing the entire url they dont press enter but select "search for https://www.google.com" from the dropdown

thereby searching google for google's url so they can click the first hit to go to google and google the thing they wanted to google

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

boomers don't understand cause and effect with computers, so everything they do is part of a memorized sequence of mumbo-jumbo. that's why they get mad when you use their computer in a different way than they're used to, or try to show them a better technique. you're messing with the magic spell

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

boomers don't understand cause and effect with computers, so everything they do is part of a memorized sequence of mumbo-jumbo. that's why they get mad when you use their computer in a different way than they're used to, or try to show them a better technique. you're messing with the magic spell

on the other hand they think I'm some sort of wizard for just... doing stuff.

back when my grandfather was alive he was blown away by that built-in remote support thing windows has/had where they email you a file and you can remote in

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJWlpMbK2KU&t=490s

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

67456 unread e-mails badge

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

akadajet posted:

on the other hand they think I'm some sort of wizard for just... doing stuff.

back when my grandfather was alive he was blown away by that built-in remote support thing windows has/had where they email you a file and you can remote in

When I worked for a security consulting place, we were doing the "so you clicked on the phishing link" training, and part of it had a demo where we have two laptops set up as the "victim" and "attacker". We'd run an attachment that looked like a spreadsheet or whatever on the victim laptop, that would actually be some remote access tool, then we'd show how it showed up on the attacker computer, and start remotely controlling the victim computer.

One time when we got to that point, when we started to remotely move the mouse around, a lady was so absolutely terrified that she fainted, and we had to stop and call an ambulance. She was ok but we never did that dumb demo as part of the presentation again.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Neslepaks posted:

you forgot the part where after typing the entire url they dont press enter but select "search for https://www.google.com" from the dropdown

thereby searching google for google's url so they can click the first hit to go to google and google the thing they wanted to google

this is because they don’t know what URLs actually are, ime they think of them like the name or title or something rather than a definitive address or location

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

git apologist posted:

this is because they don’t know what URLs actually are, ime they think of them like the name or title or something rather than a definitive address or location

al AOL Keyword, if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

sex gifs