Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

believing that paedophiles control an area of the internet the size of ireland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sweevo posted:

believing that paedophiles control an area of the internet the size of ireland

this one seems true though?

unless you mean the actual area of control is even bigger

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the population of ireland is ~5 million out of 8 billion people on earth would mean 1 in 1600 people is a pedo
the child sexual abuse rate is like 8% so it's probably bigger than ireland

it was depressing finding these numbers

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I was at a conference this week and someone from a company called Thorn spoke. they make automated cp image detection software that imgur and google and others use. in 2018 they detected 45,000,000 unique images. was a loving horrible talk

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

msft develops one too; might even be the same one, idk. god's own work, what those people are doing

i know a few guys who had to do those sorts of reviews manually and that poo poo just... breaks you. no way the plugs that facebook has doing that same work by hand aren't either suicidal or in need of therapy or pedos themselves

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

flakeloaf posted:

msft develops one too; might even be the same one, idk. god's own work, what those people are doing

i know a few guys who had to do those sorts of reviews manually and that poo poo just... breaks you. no way the plugs that facebook has doing that same work by hand aren't either suicidal or in need of therapy or pedos themselves

don't worry, they are

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Gentle Autist posted:

I was at a conference this week and someone from a company called Thorn spoke. they make automated cp image detection software that imgur and google and others use. in 2018 they detected 45,000,000 unique images. was a loving horrible talk

fyi this is an ashton kutcher company

people are saints

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I heard the ceo is such a saint he personally hand approves every flagged picture

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

making a big red post warning everyone to NOT open any messages from them because their facebook account got hacked again

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

using the Facebook platform to encourage me to buy heavily discounted Rayban sunglasses.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

making a big red post warning everyone to NOT open any messages from them because their facebook account got hacked again

a friend of my folks sends a message every few weeks about 'dont accept texts from some name because theyre not a real person' and its the most chain letter thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

accidentally deleting things

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

"accidentally" deleting things

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

accidentally deleting things

little kids like doing this too. my sister somehow deleted the file explorer off of a win95 machine when she was around 7

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

never updating their os and complaining after doing it accidentally that it takes so long to finish

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

waiting until you visit to let all the updates come in for a BIG party

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Agile Vector posted:

waiting until you visit to let all the updates come in for a BIG party

GamemasterAnthony is a boomer

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Mr.Radar posted:

My favorite vintage television restoration/torture channel on Youtube featured a model that used one of those remotes a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPRqW7l7r-A&t=1026s

Shango066 Rules.

Content:
Paid disk de-fragmentation software.
Internet Explorer
Aol Desktop Gold
Taping over laptop webcams
Buying overpriced Walmart-Grade laptops from QVC/HSN

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

RustyKnight posted:

never updating their os and complaining after doing it accidentally that it takes so long to finish

or, not shutting down the computer, ever. Not using standby or hibernate ever. "That wears down the hardware much faster than leaving it running."

I also know someone who boots the computer, then waits 30 minutes to "let it warm up". Maybe I should tell them to put the north and south bridge in neutral and give the cpu some revs.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
MSN.com intentionally serving a broken version of their site to Opera users

https://www.wiumlie.no/2003/2/msn/

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Stick Insect posted:

I also know someone who boots the computer, then waits 30 minutes to "let it warm up". Maybe I should tell them to put the north and south bridge in neutral and give the cpu some revs.

Same but because they have 100 startup applications plus mcafee installed rendering the computer completely unusable for 10-15 minutes plus after the desktop loads.

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

too lazy to use excel but willing to sum 100+ values in word table by pocket calculator

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

MullardEL34 posted:

Taping over laptop webcams

the HP laptops we get at work are configured with no webcam, there's just a solid plastic plug where it would normally go

I still see people here who put tape or little stick on slider door thingies on that spot

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

pif files

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Poopernickel posted:

NAS storage for their 23900 ripped netflix DVDs

my fil :smith:

at least he stopped asking for help janitoring his windows media center and Xbox 360 extender setup- though that was legit great 10 years ago

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

akadajet posted:

isp managed email accounts

fuuuuck this too

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Turnquiet posted:

fuuuuck this too

POP3 only no imap :getin:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
saving everything to 3.5" floppy disks instead of the hard drive because it's easier to find a physical disk from a drawer than to learn how to navigate a directory tree

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Storing the 3.5 inch floppies inside this thing.

also the little crocheted thing underneath

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i have never seen one of those before but i love it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

the HP laptops we get at work are configured with no webcam, there's just a solid plastic plug where it would normally go

I still see people here who put tape or little stick on slider door thingies on that spot

ill admit i got a slider door but thats because they keep changing the default setting to our tp software and i dont want it to default on randomly

our desk phones have physical toggles for this as part of their design

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Stick Insect posted:

Storing the 3.5 inch floppies inside this thing.

also the little crocheted thing underneath

That's some might fine doily

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
sliding doors on cameras is a female thing rather than boomer. don’t blame them when you look at the libertarians working in IT

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

covering your camera is legit, that post was about people doing it on laptops where the camera was never installed or removed

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you should cover the camera on your computer

IT blessed my work laptop with windows 2settings edition and left the tape over the lens. thanks IT

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
thinking that private mode is for hackers because of the shady figure in the icon.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Stick Insect posted:

thinking that private mode is for hackers because of the shady figure in the icon.

the neighborhood watch button

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
holding shift down to type in all caps instead of using caps lock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Suspicious posted:

holding shift down to type in all caps instead of using caps lock

boomers just keep the caps lock pushed in at all times