Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's too hot out to do a proper poll
This poll is closed.
Yesterday you said you'd call Sears 27 9.57%
I'll call tomorrow 11 3.90%
You'll call now 12 4.26%
I'll Call Now 19 6.74%
Another Scorcher 72 25.53%
Cool 34 12.06%
What the hell is this crap? I'm just here for Bowsette 107 37.94%
Total: 282 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Samuringa posted:

I skip release lists because I'm still playing games I bought months ago but you're a good OP.

Realtalk: the OP lists are really helpful so I can update my list of games to play in the future so thank you :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if epic supports the epic store the way they supported unreal tournament it'll be gone in two years

they've already stuck to the dev roadmap about as well as they did for UT

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Sorry for going dark in the last chat thread! Two excellent games were released last month that took up the majority of my time.

Mario Maker 2 is fantastic as we all know but the other game I have fallen for is Wolfenstein Youngblood! :D

I love Wolfenstein The New Order and I loved the New Colossus even more than that! I played it the whole way through on PS4 (with a controller which I do not normally do as I have severe difficulties with FPS games and joypads) but then in preparation for Youngblood I grabbed the full edition of New Colossus for the PC and 100%ed my way through that. I was very excited for Youngblood and it has yet to disappoint me :D

It is quite a different game to the other 2 and is a bit like Destiny 2, which does not bother me in the slightest because I love messing about in Destiny 2. Jess and Soph are wonderful protagonists and the dialogue they share going through the levels is ace and funny. I like that they are not as strong and capable as BJ as this is basically the first time they have ever been out in the field killing Nazis.

Level design is gorgeous. Not only does everything look spectacular but the fact that every area has so many ways of going through it both horizontally and vertically means that I have plenty of ways to go and attack these badguys.

I really like the upgrading of the weapons and making them act in different ways and there is so much to do! Little daily and weekly events that you can sign up to when playing through the game and of course dress up for both you and the weapons.

The story is also really intriguing me. I have played for about 18 hours so far (and just cannot stop wandering around Paris blasting enemies and scaling buildings) but it seems like a heck of a lot happened between this and New Colossus. It makes me wonder how they are going to tie whatever Wolf III is going to be and this. Maybe a prequel-sequel kind of thing with time jumping :D

Anyway, I love it and I love that the series is keeping me invested and on my toes!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think i'm going to do a theme month and make august SEGAugust... i have all the genesis steam packs, although part of me wants to double dip and get the collection on switch... but apparently Switch version doesn't have the Wonder Boy games or the Ecco games

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
in this fine month of august may you love your games as you would your neighbor

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lost Odyssey Update #Whatever

So we went to see Kakanas to bitch him out for loving up Numara but when we showed up he was all 'God bless the Queen' and all that so we decided to be chill and stay the night. Except that night the army rolled its tanks up on the lawns and started blasting the poo poo out of the palace! Which would have been an issue except Ming totally saw that dumbass plan coming so we were lying in wait to ambush him. This would have been a really hard boss fight except his 2000+ all-party spell was fire based and Seth had absorb fire on so she literally couldn't die. With Kakanas defeated some of Ming's court friends rolled up were like 'psych, we were here the whole time' so Ming was like 'yeah I'm done with this poo poo, this your kingdom now'. Now we're leaving Numara do its own thing but not without taking their finest cruise ship. Anyway, as we left Jansen and Ming had this whole Titanic moment up on the bow where they totally made out and Ming macked on him hard but Jansen freaked out cause like, of course this fuckboi is scared of commitment. Girl, you know that's how they play.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope Control ends up being decent

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I loved fe echoes but it is not a game I would recommend to anyone without a whole load of caveats and unless I knew the person's tastes pretty well.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rarity posted:

I will not lose myself to World of Warcraft Classic

As someone who loves WoW wholeheartedly, Classic is a terrible terrible game.

Cannot wait for people to rediscover just how much of an absolute grindy jankfest Vanilla was.

Don't get me wrong though, at the time is was incredible; but by modern design standards it's a monolithic timesink of a game and you're no longer a teenager with endless hours to grind at your disposal.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

VideoGames posted:

Wolfenstein stuff!

Yeah, gently caress them Nazi's up VG!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

these are the games i would play for segaugust:

alex kidd
alien soldier
alien storm
beyond oasis
bio-hazard battle
decap attack
dynamite headdy
ESWAT
golden axe 1-3
landstalker
phantasy star 2(?) & 4
revenge of shinobi
ristar
shadow dancer
shining force 1 & 2
shinobi 3
streets of rage 1-3
toejam & earl in panic on funkotron
wonder boy in monster world

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

bio-hazard battle

this is a neat one

pro tip: the manta ray and stingray-looking fighters have superior weapon sets and move faster in late stages

also right at the start you can grab two green powerups to max out the basic pellet gun, then switch to a better one

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 1, 2019

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

VideoGames posted:

youngwolf bloodstein

thats great ! have you been playing it co-op with somebody ? I've loved all the wolfenstein games but I'd have to play youngbloods solo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQPPh5eA_8

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

great to be here in the july chat thread

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

you're no longer a teenager with endless hours to grind at your disposal.

No but I could be an unemployed person with endless hours to grind :thunkher:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

these are the games i would play for segaugust:

alex kidd
alien soldier
alien storm
beyond oasis
bio-hazard battle
decap attack
dynamite headdy
ESWAT
golden axe 1-3
landstalker
phantasy star 2(?) & 4
revenge of shinobi
ristar
shadow dancer
shining force 1 & 2
shinobi 3
streets of rage 1-3
toejam & earl in panic on funkotron
wonder boy in monster world

Don't forget Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder which is actually the best in the series!

Also can I add Ghost Squad as that game is loving brilliant. You'd think they are named that because they come and leave without a trace but no, it's because they literally kill everyone in sight leaving no witnesses. (except ghosts, presumably)

Convex fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 1, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

this thread is super down on echoes but the FE thread thought it was pretty good. Thread cultures are weird.

I liked it for what it's worth but it's pretty different from other FEs

I dunno I've played a version now of every fire emblem except Thracia and Echoes is the only one I couldn't bring myself to finish.* Its maps have absolutely nothing going on in them and random encounters in a FE game is the worst idea they've ever implemented.

*To be fair I don't think I'd claim it's worse than Shadow Dragon but I was in a very different time and place when I played through that one, I probably wouldn't have finished it either if I played it now.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Regy Rusty posted:

(Continuing conversation about FE echoes from the end of the last thread)

Yeah it was actually your posts about it that made me skip it on release. I finally got it for free a couple months ago and gave it a try but it's just so unbearably dull I only made it to the second act.

It's still better than fates.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

It's still better than fates.

I disagree. It probably has a better story than Fates and usually that would be a big plus for me but at least Fates has fun levels.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Regy Rusty posted:

I disagree. It probably has a better story than Fates and usually that would be a big plus for me but at least Fates has fun levels.

I played through and enjoyed Echoes on Classic / Hard, enjoyed most of the fights, wasn't keen on the 3d sections.

Couldn't stomach Fates, just did not click gameplaywise and the story was awful.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Revenge of Death Adder has to be experienced. Its probably got the best sound effects ever and its criminal it never got ported to anything ever.

You'd think it would be an obvious Saturn port but we got Golden Axe The Duel instead. Blah.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The gravelly whisper voice Blaskowicz uses in his monologues each level is really terrible. I could never understand a loving word he was saying

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Quoting from the previous thread

"Zaphod 42 posted:

But I will say I adore the unique dark art that is in all of the Lone Wolf books, so you're not entirely wrong.

This stuff is mega rad!
But most of the pages did not have art, even in Lone Wolf.

I meant to link you this, thought you'd dig it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/simonbirks/arcane-rites-a-deadly-new-700-paragraph-fantasy-gamebook

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The gravelly whisper voice Blaskowicz uses in his monologues each level is really terrible. I could never understand a loving word he was saying

In an ideal world there would be a DLC that replaces him with Mr. Bean

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Every game should give you the option to kill Nazis imo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rarity posted:

Every game should give you the option to kill Nazis imo

a lot of JRPGs will have bad guys that are kinda nazi-ish, I want a JRPG where the bad guys are just nazis but everything else is standard JRPG. I want to be a a teen with big hair and a complicated sword doing 9999 points of damage to Hermann Goering.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Gripweed posted:

a lot of JRPGs will have bad guys that are kinda nazi-ish, I want a JRPG where the bad guys are just nazis but everything else is standard JRPG. I want to be a a teen with big hair and a complicated sword doing 9999 points of damage to Hermann Goering.

Taking a break from thrashing Rommel's rear end to do some fishing

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The implication by warren spector that a piece of entertainment being a 'adolescent male power fantasy' is bad and horrid is just lolworthy.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bushisms.txt posted:

From the last thread about IS and Koei

It's the team that does the romance kingdom series not the musous, and apparently they did almost everything with only a handful of IS people, so speculation is IS is working on something else.

Three Houses
Three Kingdoms

Checks out

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm glad that Warren Spector is done making good games.

Seriously it's been 15 years since he was last involved with a good game (Thief 3).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh because the July thread is locked! I finally got it

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Adolescent male power fantasies are good

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Where do we post about web games on the forums again? Cuz the August season is starting tomorrow over at http://www.derbymanager.com/, which is the best online soccer management sim I've played and it really needs new players :/

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

no

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gripweed posted:

This is Operation Darkness

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I found the Smash Bros for 3DS/WiiU soundtrack on my shelf last night. I forgot I got this... I don't even remember what I did to get it.

I also don't think I ever listened to it. Anyway I brought it to work to listen to and every track name is in Japanese characters, with the exception of the track titled, "PAC-MAN'S PARK/BLOCK TOWN."

Does anyone else have this double CD soundtrack? Does every copy have tracks listed in Japanese or did someone put the wrong disc in my case?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sakurazuka posted:

This is Operation Darkness

Operation Darkness follows a squad of British SAS soldiers fighting the Nazis across the European Theater. The story covers much of the real history of the European war, including the battles for North Africa and the liberation of mainland Europe. French resistance fighters, American soldiers, and others appear as non-player characters.

The game diverges significantly from real history in that zombies of deceased Nazi soldiers appear as adversaries, and two of the player characters can transform into werewolves.

I can not express enough how much I want to play that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Whoa the Momodora people have a new game coming out at the end of the month. I really really like RutM.

https://youtu.be/CEmTSPQsUxU