Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My new office has a collection of rotating O5s/O6s that do like 45 days at a time or something. They're just used for hey-you action officer stuff because they're only there for such a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Me running out of time sneaking through the floor only to be saved by the Commandant deciding everyone needed to do some PT in a loving briefing is my favorite part of that game.

I mean its still bullshit because no way is the Marines going to get enough money to secretly build a Metal Gear

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We had someone who was doing all her drills in two goes a year, and living several states away with her active duty officer husband. She sucks so it's pretty annoying that she got to do it. Anyway she became the only divorce from our deployment because she came back and demanded they start having kids right then and there. Her husband wasn't ready, and they got divorced after 2ish years of marriage. For the best really, she's a dumbass party girl who can't barely look after herself. He's a solid guy who's only real big mistake was looking at this drunken idiot who failed out of AFROTC and thinking she'd make a good wife.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

In the navy that’s perfectly normal. My unit has a CO from Florida and an XO from New Mexico but we drill in WA. They rotate months drilling and once a quarter they are both there.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

In the navy that’s perfectly normal.

I'm tired of this stereotype. Not everyone in the Navy is married to an Air Force Officer dropout.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

piL posted:

I'm tired of this stereotype. Not everyone in the Navy is married to an Air Force Officer dropout.

It's true, you might have a waiver.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
OK, I admit that it's a lot more prevalent than I thought. I don't think that's how it should be, but whatever.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

congressmen being in the reserves is the dumbest poo poo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Some of the wall funds are being pulled from the DoD's Blended Retirement Program:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mil...RETwH_lsoURMThI

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

CommieGIR posted:

Some of the wall funds are being pulled from the DoD's Blended Retirement Program:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mil...RETwH_lsoURMThI

That’s some troop respectin’ right there

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

One hell of a conflict of interest if they ever had to do their job and actually vote to declare war. But, I guess most of them would duck out of their obligations since I'm guessing that most of the people that situation applies to only signed up for political points like that scum gently caress Reince Priebus.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

My new office has a collection of rotating O5s/O6s that do like 45 days at a time or something. They're just used for hey-you action officer stuff because they're only there for such a short time.

Probably IMAs, which I believe is a Reserve-only program. You basically do like one long TDY per year at a D agency and then don't go to drill. The catch is that you aren't covered by the laws requiring reservists to be given certain notification prior to being mobilized, and can be activated for basically any reason at any time.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 1, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A Bad Poster posted:

How the gently caress can you be in the Guard for one state, where you'd have to have residency to serve, and be in congress for another state, where you'd also have to have residency?

Residency is not a requirement. Closest thing I had to a permanent address was a holiday inn express I used once a month.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1156786633779404801

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

congressmen being in the reserves is the dumbest poo poo

And if you get deployed while in office do you go? Do you get a waiver?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Nystral posted:

LBJ is a good case study for this. He got activated after Pearl Harbor while he was a member of the House.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

LBJ is a good case study for this. He got activated after Pearl Harbor while he was a member of the House.

He really isn't. He used his political clout to get a commission, insisted on seeing combat, and flew a single combat mission as an observer on a bomber that turned back with mechanical issues before reaching its target. Johnson was awarded the Silver Star, the only person in the aircraft to even be recommended for a medal at all.

He promptly returned to Washington and was made chairman of a powerful committee.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

McNally posted:

He really isn't. He used his political clout to get a commission, insisted on seeing combat, and flew a single combat mission as an observer on a bomber that turned back with mechanical issues before reaching its target. Johnson was awarded the Silver Star, the only person in the aircraft to even be recommended for a medal at all.

He promptly returned to Washington and was made chairman of a powerful committee.

Exactly why he's a good case study. That's what most reserve politicians would do.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

We needed a control group to evaluate the last 18 years of data we've collected

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grandma went out with a bang

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

Exactly why he's a good case study. That's what most reserve politicians would do.

I question whether they'd allow themselves to get that close to actual combat.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

orange juche posted:

Grandma went out with a bang

I'm sure there's a good boomer joke in there somewhere.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

poo poo they can have mine for free once I’m done with it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Where'd Sean Spicer get shipped off to after turmp fired him. Greenland?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Where'd Sean Spicer get shipped off to after turmp fired him. Greenland?

Fox News?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

Typically, people in elected office or other positions deemed "essential" to the functioning of the government (certain public safety officials, certain federal employees, etc.) can't be compelled to deploy. Right now it doesn't matter because we've just been rotating people through the desert for the last 16 years, but the idea is that in a full-scale war you do need to keep certain experienced government professionals and elected leaders in their positions so as to avoid a sudden governmental vacuum on the homefront.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 1, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You can get sent on some bullshit short term deployment where you pretend to do work for a little bit. That's what Lindsay did.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Sounds like "being a federally elected official" is a qualifier for non-deployability, so I guess under that new DoD mandate they'll all be getting the boot.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yeah he was just on yesterday

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Our reservists all needed accounts and certifications that lapsed in the year they spent between IDTs and couldn’t be reactivated before they were done with their next set. Literally worthless - they couldn’t even access email.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

It was a Sgt Bilko reference.

:effort:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I'd enjoy spending some time at Thule.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some time, maybe, in the summer. Not a winter though. gently caress that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It was a Sgt Bilko reference.

:effort:

Stripes :cmon:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some time, maybe, in the summer. Not a winter though. gently caress that.

If you don't like winter in thule, just wait a few years

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Having read Stiff a few times and looked into the matter more since, you should never donate your body to science. Also if you do partial donation and still have open casket afterwards, a decent portion of your loved one is actually PVC pipes and stuffing. Cremation is pretty much "here's some ashes that may contain some of your loved one and whoever else got shoved in there to save time and money".

Please just leaver my body in the woods or a dumpster or something. At least then I'll be reasonably sure of its fate.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Stripes is a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Stripes is a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

You're a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

McNally posted:

You're a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

I wish people had respect for me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Stripes is fine. I like a bit of the history about it, and I ran around the barracks from the movie when I was in boot at Knox.

I just like Sgt Bilko more. It's not perfect, but it's like the army version of Down Periscope. Although In The Army Now is always a classic too.