Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Some of the wall funds are being pulled from the DoD's Blended Retirement Program:

https://www.businessinsider.com/mil...RETwH_lsoURMThI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shaddak posted:

I think the correct answer is Das Boot.

This is the correct answer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

All we need is more good guys with guns, then this problem

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1157720090390827009?s=19

will be another problem!

It will always be a problem. Because Good Guy With a Gun is not a uniform, and for all they know, you are really the bad guy with the gun.

And its looking like it might be an 8chan Chud.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

again: glow belts

Safety Belts are always the answer, Shirt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

It already is, he's using a man shooting at people of Spanish decent as fodder to push anti-immigration bills.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

Eh, it ain't all bad.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1158346607542362112?s=19

Fuckin windbag has less bag to wind with

Someone said it in D&D, but I refuse to believe he hung out with lung damage that long.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Why did the senator from Kentucky go to a Tennessee hospital? Sounds like treason to me

His original surgery was in Canada.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chichevache posted:

Anecdotal as hell, but most Latinos I know view "latinx" as something that oversensitive college whites with too much time on their hands made up.

I was trying to be sensitive. :smith: Yeah, help me figure out what to address them as.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'm not really sure, but I know my Dad's mother's side hails from Sicily and Boston, and his father's is Easter European, probably German/Polish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

One of my coworkers just dealt with a familial sexual assault case. The perpetrator referred to it as "wincest".

the internet was a mistake

Before the internet, this would've just been covered up. It still happened.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Stravag posted:

So someone i know was saying that the ohio shooter was super far left and signed up to antifa and antigun groups and poo poo. Any proof of that or is that just their wistful thinking so they can say see its both sides?

He had some leftist posts, but given his interests, his band, and other things, its more likely he was trolling.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Didn't the FBI just "lose" all their files on stormfront recently?

That's basically what they said, yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No kidding. They had the Chernobyl before Chernobyl.

And this isn't even the specific disaster the article is about.

Sounds like Hanford/Windscale/etc. To me.

We were morons about early nuclear designs

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A Bad Poster posted:

Didn't someone say that he wasn't actually on suicide watch anymore? Pretty sure I saw someone trustworthy saying that, I don't know what to believe anymore

He was not on suicide watch anymore, it was officially withdrawn by the psychologists. So that angle is moot.

There's no evidence at this time that they were coerced to do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking as one of this thread's resident alcoholics, that "program" is loving despicable and just about the worst way imaginable to handle addiction

It was specifically designed by religious groups as a recruiting program. That's why it sucks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dyatlov was in charge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BUG JUG posted:

Wtf is the use case for a nuke powered cruise missile?

Wiki Project Pluto

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The technical principle is straightforward enough, but why? Russia couldn't exactly loiter them off our coast so there's no first strike advantage over ICBMs and SLBMs, and as far as I know Russian subs still provide them plenty of second strike capacity. Is it that these fly at lower trajectories so they can defeat anti ballistic countermeasures?

There is no why it's all about Putin trying to gather morale material it it doesn't replace icbm's it doesn't replace sub-based missiles it's just neat toy for him to show off

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its almost like he hates Gays or something...

I though he said he was the greatest for gays? /sarcasm

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nephzinho posted:

This is good for Bitcoin.

Nothing is good for Bitcoin. Bitcoin is not good for bitcoin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Every gun control measure mentioned disproportionately effect the poor- the very people who need the means of protection the most.

Most poor people do not need guns. They need food and medical care more.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bulletsponge13 posted:

Historically, gun control has never been about safety. It's about keeping guns away from "undesirables" mostly the poor and minorities.

The only way we should have training and safe storage laws and other common sense gun control is that if the government will provide training and storage means for the poor.

While that may be true, it is not an argument against stricter gun control.

Also: Libertarians are just GOP with Pot. They suck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Steezo posted:

The same police you can't trust with behavioral profiling because it always turns into racial profiling are the ones who would be executing this.

Or we could just fix the police too. Nobody here is pretending that isnt an issue.

The argument that gun control would be enforced by police isnt really a good argument against it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Don't blame the weed for peoples' poo poo politics. Blame the politics for making people want to smoke weed.

I meant that as its their only upside.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
A couple Proud Boys got convicted of assault, and now the Proud Boys are threatening the Jury.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BadOptics posted:

So what's the cyber version of controlled flight into terrain? Also feeling pretty glad I didn't get picked up for Comm in basic; the medical side is weird/soft, but outright co-opting stuff from aviation like ToT or sorties isn't too common. Maybe with actual aircrew/support, but at that point it makes sense.

As an Infosec Guy: This hurts me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

sorry to spoil an old movie but neo dies at the end of Revolution

His body does. Chances are his "Ghost/Avatar" still exists.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Boris wants Ireland to leave the EU and join a UK Trade Union.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/bor...eNjujfb0-QC0CZc

Taking how many guesses as to how loud Ireland will laugh.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arc Light posted:

Whereas people who joke about running over protestors might not actually go out and kill people on the roadway, but it's def a thing that happens, and they're totally cool with it irl. Which means it's not actually a joke.

Yup. And they vote for people who openly try, and often succeed, to legalize this.

Its like trolling: You can troll, but honestly most people who troll probably genuinely believe what they are saying deep down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Are they....preying and blessing the bull on Wall Street? :stare:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its just one chest x-ray.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hexyflexy posted:

He actually used "Arbeit Macht Frei". The only time I'd dare use those words is literally now talking about someone doing it, what the gently caress.

Speaking of "Arbeit Macht Frei"

https://boingboing.net/2019/08/16/everything-is-political.html?fbclid=IwAR3WfkVr7CunzgZscgmaQgT8wbsz66DrGrna95M3JftabZB-_gSAxYA9NK8

Head of Marvel is a huge Chud, and tried to censor Art Spiegelman, son of a holocaust victim and author of the comic series Maus.

https://twitter.com/laura_hudson/status/1163154971887456257?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 24, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah Project Orion was very feasible:

And KSP2 will have it as a propulsion option.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Also agricultural subsidies insulate them from Trump's stupidity.

Except most of the subsidies got eaten up by big agra. Small and mid size family farms got the shaft.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1166711208700981249?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Does this cement a hard/no deal brexit?

That's Boris's goal, but I suspect this is just going to harden people against him, since its basically overriding parliament.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1166763230703837187?s=20

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Madurai posted:

So I guess you have some paperwork to do instead of being automatic.

Doesn't make it much better. They are trying to make excuses for getting rid of birthright citizenship.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

joat mon posted:

Thankfully, no.

Means nothing when they've specifically shown a willingness to continue to gut basic protections.

I place zero faith in the legal analysis of this, because its being architected by people who FULLY wish to do such things, and are basically fully in control right now, and willing to ignore the law to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Wonder Free posted:

I am a NOAA Corps Officer (like the Coast Guard but more obscure) and we fly P-3’s through the center at 10k feet. We have two P-3’s that do this, and a G-IV that flies around the storm and is boring. The Air Force has the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron that has 10 C-130’s that do similar missions to the P-3, but don’t do anywhere near the kind of research we do.

We do fly typhoons sometimes but usually we are stateside for hurricane season here so we don’t hit the WestPac stuff very often. There aren’t enough crews or planes to have planes stationed out there for a long time. We have flown s through stuff in the Southern Hemisphere out of Australia but we usually don’t go all the way out there for research.

We all use turboprops for two reasons: we basically are flying through a wall of water, and the water ingestion will kill a jet engine.

The other is immediate power changes that a prop gives you. A jet engine takes longer to spool up or down to give you a power correction, which is where the term “behind the power curve” comes from. A prop is immediate and is accomplished through changing the blade angle. We use this and altitude to adjust our speed to avoid stalling out or overspeeding in the storm. Both would be bad.

We had a short mission delay so I’m chilling on the plane for a bit. Using the down time to figure out where to stash my family if the storm rolls over Tampa.

This is awesome, you are awesome, and stay safe Wonder Free fam.