Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

LBJ is a good case study for this. He got activated after Pearl Harbor while he was a member of the House.

He really isn't. He used his political clout to get a commission, insisted on seeing combat, and flew a single combat mission as an observer on a bomber that turned back with mechanical issues before reaching its target. Johnson was awarded the Silver Star, the only person in the aircraft to even be recommended for a medal at all.

He promptly returned to Washington and was made chairman of a powerful committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

A Bad Poster posted:

Exactly why he's a good case study. That's what most reserve politicians would do.

I question whether they'd allow themselves to get that close to actual combat.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Stripes is a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

You're a dumb loving movie that people have way too much love for

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I'm pretty sure I'm officially required to discourage this.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

If Latino culture and race-mixing fills your idiot chud brain with murderous rage maybe you shouldn't live in fuckin El Paso Texas

From what I'm hearing, he didn't live in El Paso. Made a special trip to someplace with a high latino population for unknown reasons.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Let's all take a break.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Thread's open.

Look, we're all tired. We're all dealing with some level of existential dread in the hellscape that is our reality. We need to take a breath and remember that whoever we're arguing with is also a person who may be struggling with things we aren't aware of or isn't being the disingenuous poo poo we think they are.

That includes me.

It's easy for us to get swallowed up in whatever bullshit is weighing us down and sometimes we vent in a way we shouldn't.

Anyway, done rambling. Thread's open. Let's get back to talking about how everything is terrible and then wonder why we're all stressed out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

my kinda ape posted:

Just make semi-automatics NFA items (and fund the ATF so they can actually process applications in a relatively timely manner) and you'd probably cut down the amount of gun violence in this country by a massive amount while still allowing ownership of pretty much whatever to people who follow the law. It's really a pretty win-win solution for all sides and would require very little change to legislation.

Is there a grandfather clause or am I suddenly going to have to cough up a couple thousand dollars to avoid committing a felony?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Jaguars! posted:

In NZ owners of outlawed firearms are being compensated by a buyback scheme. I doubt any of them are happy about it, but the owners I know have generally accepted it as the new reality.

There are over 390 million firearms in the US. If we extremely conservatively estimate that ten percent of them are semiauto and average $500 per gun that's $19.5 billion

The same Congress who says $5.6 billion over ten years is too expensive to stop loving over war widows is going to fork over three and a half times that much in one go for something that's probably going to hit single digit compliance rates?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I genuinely don't know what the most infuriating part about that is.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Yeah, that at all addresses my point. Well done you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

FAUXTON posted:

If the people you're referencing considered it an expense that improved their personal well-being then they would absolutely support it.

A silver lining, you might say.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Would it be wasted breath to point out that "well regulated" had a different meaning in 1780s English?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

sure is strange that the only sources you ever find claiming "well-regulated" had a different meaning back then are super intense pro-2A sites

Or it's something I picked up in the course of studying history. The term has cropped up in other contexts.

But sure, assume where I got this knowledge from.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

tbh even if it did have a different meaning then i do not much care what a bunch of 1700s farmers thought, i just want to live in a civilized first world country

Don't hurt yourself moving those goalposts. Lift with your knees.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

uhh you didn't even cite these supposed sources you had, just claimed you had uncovered them during your wealth of studies. dont think im the one moving the goalposts there friendo

I'm not at all inclined to think you're at all dealing with me in good faith here. First you come at me with "well that's a chud talking point," then you say "yeah well whatever I don't care." So by that point we weren't talking about the original argument anymore and then you pivot back to "citation needed."

Also what the gently caress is your av.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Arc Light posted:

I'll ask the question in good faith, then.

I freely admit it's been years since I did any digging into early American gun control.

If I recall correctly, various colonial and early American towns were straight-up gun free zones, even within the lifetime of the Constitution's writers. I would take this to suggest that they weren't wholly against the idea, as I'm unaware of any of them raising hell about that. But, I'm also not a history major.

Don't cite sources, that would be a time consuming pain in the rear end. But, if you don't mind paraphrasing, what did you come across regarding the Framers' original intent re: the second amendment?

This is outside of my wheelhouse but the short version as I understand it is that the intent was to allow the citizenry to maintain arms in the event of a superemergency, with all the able-bodied men of the population acting as a reserve.

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

I have not even logged into this account for 5-6 years since yesterday. I was Our Gay Apparel or OGA a really really long time ago. Some people will probably remember me, or maybe not. Idk. I don't know what a chud is, I've noticed that seems to be a term used around here these days. As for your talking point, I'm pointing out that the only references to a different interpretation of "well-regulated" when you google the term are very pro-2A websites. This is true. If you have a different source, feel free to cite it. Cool. I just think that's an interesting talking point that seems to be parroted repeatedly by a certain type of author. Whether well-regulated means your meaning or the current commonly accepted one, I still do not give two shits what a 1700s farmer thinks. Even Jefferson himself said that a constitution written a long time ago would be a tyranny of generations. I'm not arguing that "well-regulated" means we should have tons of gun control laws, I'm stating that 2A types have a tendency to twist words. I do not care what those words are, they are irrelevant. Like I said, I want to live in a civilized, first world country. If the words of 1700s farmers stop that, whether that is in regards to guns or an individual healthcare mandate, I have an issue with them. We have the oldest working constitution in the world. That is not a good thing.

Gotcha. Mostly I saw it come up in terms of clocks, meaning maintained and operational.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

sharknado slashfic posted:

My mother's side of the family was in Va pre-revolution... I'm told that later they dumped all their money into confederate war bonds :v:

A solid investment. I recently saw a $1000 Confederate war bond sell for $95.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It’s my wife’s birthday. I took a day for myself.

This is what I come back to.

Explain to me why I shouldn’t ban every last one of you motherfuckers because I genuinely see no downside to banning every last one of you motherfuckers.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I took a minute. I read through the thread and found that maybe what was in the reports may not have been accurate.

Still. Copchat.

Clearly a day isn’t working. So congrats, going forward copchat in the CE thread gets you three days in the isocubes. But for now participants got one day probes coming down the pipes.

Except one of you. One of you earned a bonus. Not gonna say who, that would ruin the surprise.

I came back from my quiet day and I found more reports than I normally get in a week. I assumed you guys had went full pants-on-head mad in here. Turns out it was mostly innocuous with outraged misunderstanding sprinkles on top.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Woof Blitzer posted:

So we’re going to just dance around this topic and pretend it doesn’t exist forever because it makes some people mad right? Seems legit

You're right, maybe instead of banning copchat I should create a whole thread so it can take place without making GBS threads up the CE thread.

Goddamn, that's genius. Why didn't I think about that on July 1st?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Woof Blitzer posted:

It's working well [borat voice] not

So is my problem that I'm pretending copchat doesn't exist or is my problem that it's somehow my fault a small collection of chucklefucks can't use enough impulse control to threadshit in the right place?

Constructive criticism is one thing, but this seems like you just want to tell me I suck and not offer any ideas.

You know, like a loving shitbag would.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Woof Blitzer posted:

I would like to but you've been combative and pretty negative every time I see you respond to someone's post so I'll take option two with a medium fries, thanks.

Just shoot your shot dude.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Flying_Crab posted:

I imagine it has to be better than the rest of the military.

Except during a government shutdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/1167512947079503872