Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Don't cop an attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

My new office has a collection of rotating O5s/O6s that do like 45 days at a time or something. They're just used for hey-you action officer stuff because they're only there for such a short time.

Probably IMAs, which I believe is a Reserve-only program. You basically do like one long TDY per year at a D agency and then don't go to drill. The catch is that you aren't covered by the laws requiring reservists to be given certain notification prior to being mobilized, and can be activated for basically any reason at any time.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 1, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

And if you get deployed while in office do you go? Do you get a waiver?

Typically, people in elected office or other positions deemed "essential" to the functioning of the government (certain public safety officials, certain federal employees, etc.) can't be compelled to deploy. Right now it doesn't matter because we've just been rotating people through the desert for the last 16 years, but the idea is that in a full-scale war you do need to keep certain experienced government professionals and elected leaders in their positions so as to avoid a sudden governmental vacuum on the homefront.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 1, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I read an article about this earlier today that said the operator was drunk and just turned poo poo up to 11. I see the story has changed since I read about it on the shitter this morning.

I'm sure the government is very firmly in the "drunk operator" lobby, and that's where the news organizations first got their information from.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Yeah it's a very multi-faceted issue.

But big papa DoD can't control that, so that's why benefits get shuffled around; it's one of the few things they can do to staunch the bleeding ever so slightly.

The big generalizations are that 1) it's getting harder and harder to find qualified applicants, even with reduced standards 2) it's harder and harder to keep people in a healthy/active status due to sustainable readiness and 3) it's getting harder and harder to keep people in because of sustainable readiness (like 90%) and benefits (like 10%)

4) The military is a Kafkaesque hellscape of a career and not being in it is just generally better.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

They're political appointees and/or careers in acting roles so they hemmed and hawed about how it's bad that number not go up but made zero conclusions or decisions.

The recommended course of action from the briefers was to increase recruitment efforts with no other deviation in policy or procedure.

You'd think an organization that's managed to waste trillions on broken airplanes would be able to at least hire some overpriced consultants to tell them how to fix their problems (it's them, they're the problems).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Those briefings consume hundreds of working hours to prepare. Often enough with little notice and requiring the coordination of dozens of offices and staff.

It's only been <checks notes> 3 weeks and I do not miss working at the Pentagon.

Somewhere out there on a SharePoint server lies a PowerPoint briefing about how much time is spent on PowerPoint briefings.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

The bugs are pretty much gone from where I live and there's fewer every year and it's one of the wettest places in the continental US so... Prey species are taking it on the chin too. It's so quiet in summertime when you used to hear deafening choirs of frogs

Do you live in an agricultural area that uses a lot of pesticides? The place where I live has seen a surge in insects this year due to the wet weather.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

They try this literally after every mass shooting. Ever since Las Vegas. It’s always a right wing shithead! You’d think they would learn by now

It's not about learning. It's about rationalizing a world view in which it's acceptable that the most powerful country on Earth can't keep a bunch of people from getting killed for going to the mall.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eej posted:

It's remarkable that the world outside of the USA is a wasteland of women getting raped and the children and elderly being mugged and murdered every day because they don't have guns to protect themselves

My fiancees's grandmother literally thinks this. She asked us why we were visiting dangerous third world countries like Italy and Japan.

She watches a lot of Fox News.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

We could probably do away with the fee too.

I think he brings up a related point which is that there's already so many guns in circulation that you'd need to way to control or reduce them, otherwise you're suddenly going to have a massive black market for unlicensed firearms.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The point is that it is entirely feasible if the political will is there. Obviously the people in charge at the moment would offer tax breaks for gun purchases before even considering a semi-auto buyback, but by that metric it's not worth discussing any meaningful positive policy changes since it just plain isn't going to happen.

The political will isn't there, nor will it be until we somehow get 60 democrats who aren't Joe Manchin in the Senate along with a liberal majority on the supreme Court.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Either interpretation doesn't call to mind a bunch of guys with bloatees running around in tacticool gear and rocking sheepdog patches.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1158330513951735809

Here comes the ultimate poison pill, Trump is tweeting about linking UBC with immigration reform.

Comedy option: the Democrats agree to fund the wall in full in exchange for an AWB.

Go big or go home. Chris Rock tax on ammunition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuX-nFmL0II

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

My family came from Germany in the late 40s and we don't talk about it. So when people ask where "I'm from" I get hella prickly.

I'm a seventh generation veteran with a very german last name.

I'm from fuckin America and that's bad enough.

It's just as well, because apparently Germany actively shits on its veterans.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/08/what-makes-german-military-veteran/595381/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Did someone push the AZ 5 button?

psydude fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 9, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mike Mullen has had enough.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/michael-mullen-stop-slaughter-our-children/595807/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

If you can post on SA, you can Uber eats and take a bathroom break. Just don’t come back all gassy.

Probably impossible for you though.

The 2019 version of poopsocking.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I still have my IBA + plates because it fell off the books when I was leaving and I can't be bothered to deal with it, so it's sitting in my trunk of Army bullshit.

Second set of plates though because I fell real bad once and my mags on my chest broke the plate.

I still have all of my TA-50 including my ACH. I somehow avoided clearing CIF while transitioning to the IRR. I still use the sleep system for camping and the cold weather stuff (especially the intermediate layers) in the winter.

Also the leather work gloves. Those things are indestructible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

Can’t wait for psydude to be on the doorstep of retirement when he’s 103 years old only to find out his retirement savings are getting garnished because he owes $8000 in TA50.

$8000 of TA-50 that was only worth $80 when I ETSed, but they're charging me for the original purchase price because Army.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

Make sure you keep track of the 9-volt battery that CIF wanted to charge me like $45 for.

What about the 15 year old Dell Dimension desktop that you signed that they want $1500 to replace. Along with another $80 for the moondust inside that went missing with it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kid Rock really embodies the anger that Gen X feels at being associated exclusively with washed up musical acts and 80s nostalgia. Him complaining about a more successful millennial is the icing on the cake.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Let him kill himself after he lands a bunch of rich pedos in jail, not before you dumb fucks.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was killed/left alone knowing what he would do

Were his lackeys also arrested, or were they granted immunity?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm kind of struggling with how I feel about his co-conspirators getting off. On the one hand, several of them were recruited into the sex trade by him as young women and are victims in their own right. On the other hand, turning around and helping to grow and operate that enterprise later on as a willing participant and thus knowingly contributing suffering of other young women is pretty unforgivable regardless of your past.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

institutionalization is a hell of a thing

I think maybe a similar comparison is child soldiers recruited by terrorist organizations in Africa and Asia? Like the overwhelming majority are obviously victims deserving of compassion and help, but it's really hard to excuse those who rise to the ranks of leadership in those organizations and then orchestrate crimes against humanity.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I work in the MIC and I swear to god I thought Bottom Line Up Front was a made up thing my manager came up with so he could role play a cool army dude, but here it is. So I guess I learned something today.

The concept of putting the bottom line up front is one of those rare actual good ideas that the military uses. The amount of poo poo I have to wade through in most corporate emails just to find the actual point is staggering.

e: I'm not saying one should actually write "Bottom line up front," but the opening sentence or sentences definitely tell someone what the message is actually about.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 12, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Your teachers should be making at least $65k a year imo

65k in DC almost qualifies for low income housing. Teachers should be making way more than that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Pay them more than that then, idc, it's your kids education

Teachers' salaries are almost always set at the county level, so the pay can vary drastically even within the same state. Teachers in my county are paid pretty damned well, but the same can't be said for teachers on the Eastern Shore of MD, who live in Tea Party land.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

uhhh I dont think new south wales should be getting snow, my dad use to live there and he said it never snowed when he lived there, but that was 30-40 years ago

Large parts of NSW are at higher elevation. The Blue Mountains aren't super high, but high enough as to be a few degrees cooler than the coastal plane where you find Sydney. They're where the bulk of the snow fell.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BUG JUG posted:

Wtf is the use case for a nuke powered cruise missile?

Because someone launched the Fallout mod for the simulation and apparently nuclear-powered-everything is now all the rage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The technical principle is straightforward enough, but why? Russia couldn't exactly loiter them off our coast so there's no first strike advantage over ICBMs and SLBMs, and as far as I know Russian subs still provide them plenty of second strike capacity. Is it that these fly at lower trajectories so they can defeat anti ballistic countermeasures?

I think it's to fool countermeasures by allowing them to take circuitous/unpredictable routes to their target that would otherwise consume too much traditional propellent.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BigDave posted:

This is actually probably true. If I remember right, his plan was to lose and start his own TV network with Roger Ailes. Trump TV.

Opportunity cost is a bitch.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

You guys aren't tired of winning yet are you?

https://twitter.com/NorthmanTrader/...ingawful.com%2F

Edit: I personally don't know what this means but I'm told it's Really Bad

https://twitter.com/kgreifeld/statu...ingawful.com%2F

Your favorite newspaper has a good writeup on it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/08/14/stocks-tank-another-recession-warning-surfaces/

quote:

U.S. stocks tumbled at open Wednesday after the inverted yield curve, one of the most reliable indicators of a recession, sparked a new wave of investor fears, erasing the short-lived bump from Tuesday’s trade easing.

For the first time since 2007, the yields on short-term U.S. bonds eclipsed those of long-term bonds. This phenomenon, which suggests investors’ faith in the economy is faltering, has preceded every recession in the last 50 years. It isn’t a sure thing, but it’s one of the more reliable signs that something is amiss in the economy. Recessions typically come within 18 to 24 months after the yield curve inverts, according to research from Credit Suisse.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't know if I'd place pulling down your employee's pants and showing their genitalia to all of their coworkers in the same category as your frat bro pantsing you during chapters.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I don't understand why sexual harassment/ gross invasion of privacy isn't something we can be outraged about without having to equivocate getting pants'd with an actual victim of sexual assault.

Honestly? Because the term has a very broad definition that encompasses everything from "coworker makes awkward sex jokes around colleagues in the break room" to apparently exposing someone else's genitalia to a large group of people. So the term is pretty watered down in most people's minds given that the former situation constitutes the vast majority of examples, thus not doing a great job of portraying the seriousness of the offense. You're the lawyer here, but I've gotta believe the pantsing situation would be a slam dunk in a workplace harassment lawsuit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 14, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

Personally I think the problem is considering the former not a big deal but the watering down effect is exactly my objection to calling this sexual assault.

I've been close to several women who have been sexual assaulted, including being the first new sex partner of a survivor of a particularly heinous date rape. It bothers me equivocating the pain and trauma of sexual assault with getting pants'd.

I think that's a fair point, and unfortunately it seems we only have two linguistic categories to place sexual misconduct into. But at the same time you've got celebrities stating that viewership of leaked nude photos is sexual assault; clearly public sentiment is against you on this one, although I'm not saying you're wrong.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think you're conflating harassment and assault. The awkward sex jokes and pantsing fall into the bounds of the former, sexual assault is more narrow.

Goes without saying, both are bad. But one is less bad.

Jarmak's point is that both fall under the legal definition of sexual harassment, while other people argued pantsing constitutes a form of sexual assault. I'm not conflating them, just stating that people want to classify it more severely (as assault) because the term "sexual harassment" doesn't sound serious enough to most people, given that it's a broad term that encompasses a lot of different bad behavior.

e: v Yeah that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

What the gently caress goes on in his neighborhood?

The Iowa Republican party actively campaigned against him during the general election and he still won.

e: Oh this is a different turd named King.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird cooch posted:

I clearly remember a time when none of my friends had real jobs. I had just gotten out and was in school and was terrified that my GI bill was gonna get chopped and Id be homeless.

I'm ok with not going through/putting people through that again. The rich don't suffer. They never do.

The rich have wealth managers that have already hedged their assets and secured a net short position. The people whose 401ks rely on index funds will get turbo hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't remember if it was this thread or somewhere in C-SPAM but someone this week posted the idea that being reincarnated as a human is the animal version of hell and that thought has really been sticking with me

I'm sure hand-wringing on an internet comedy forum is a far worse existence than being subjected to the merciless and uncaring wild.