Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Shaddak posted:

I think the correct answer is Das Boot.

The sense of purposelessness and futility is so overwhelming in Das Boot that it's hard to watch. This alone qualifies it for greatest war movie ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I’m the tactical column of dabbers

That poo poo made me snort and wake my wife up.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vasudus posted:

I mean that's literally how it works.

I'm possibly maybe wrong, but no change ever made to any benefits or retirement program in the history of ever has been for the increased benefit of the worker.

Post 9/11 GI Bill is the one exception.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vasudus posted:

Post 9/11 GI Bill is also largely cheaper to the government because it no longer really covers certifications* and the utilization rate is actually very low.

*It still does but it's not as good since it's percent/LOE and not flat cash anymore, also the list of supported certs is much more narrow

Section 508 Compliance is a big thing in my line of work. People get paid A LOT of money to make sure materials/presentations/products are usable to as many people as possible.

In very rare circumstances was the Montgomery G.I. Bill ever better for service members than the Post 9/11. It mostly just closed loopholes that allowed veterans to double dip and use state or other benefits to pay for their schooling while still collecting the the entire benefit that was paid directly to them. The narrowing of technical school benefits was also because of the proliferation of fly by night places that existed solely to fleece G.I. Bill money without providing any real training.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

FAUXTON posted:

It's rad to see Bernie and Warren teaming up and I hope it results in them being the ticket in the general

My boss said he thought Warren/Sanders was the biggest threat to American Democracy so I too hope they are who the dems go with.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

CommieGIR posted:

I was trying to be sensitive. :smith: Yeah, help me figure out what to address them as.

Point of personal privilege! Can we stop using gendered pronouns??

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am adopted and a white trash mutt with a family name that has accomplished nothing in life but continue to live in abject poverty.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Right? Why don't his writers just release the transcripts ahead of time so we can follow along as he makes the speech?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

aphid_licker posted:

If this leads to the cancellation of the Simpsons maybe it will all have been worth it after all

Yeah the Simpsons is truly the greatest show that just wouldn't die. There is no denying the cultural influences it had on an entire generation but I don't know anyone who has watched an episode in the last 20 years.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

colachute posted:

“Well, actually, here is why he’s not a pedo....” isn’t going to work on me dude. I don’t give a gently caress.

Seems like a rational and well thought out decision making process.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

:tif:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Weird flex, but ok. (edit - I meant Vas)

I will be retiring in the next 18 months and looking to move states and buy a house. Hope things are still ok then.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Torrannor posted:

Warren seems so much better than Biden, do US Democrats really want another centrist Dem who hardly does anything against GOP craziness?

Most in my circle would be happy with Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren. Personally I think outside of the Native American ancestry gaffe, Warren is in a better spot to take the nomination and she and Sanders share enough ideas that they would make a great team.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My mother in law is in her early 70s. She sold her house and moved in with us because she spent most of her adult life caring for both of her parents before they kicked the bucket and has no money or savings. Rather than work til she dies, she knits and watches shows about how women get murdered at my house now.

Her only income is Social Security and half of that is spent on her medical insurance. So we will see where this ends up I guess.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

psydude posted:

You can sometimes use this to get additional cash rebates. When I bought my car a few years ago, Ford offered me a $3,000 instant rebate to use their financing (which was something stupid like 8.5%). I had to keep the loan for 90 days, after which I immediately refinanced at 1.99% through USAA.

I never drive anymore, though. Barring a traffic accident, I plan on keeping this car until it dies.

Except CarMax charges all of their interest upfront. So if you accept financing through them they automatically add all of the interest to the principal and you are so upside down on the loan, no one will refinance you. It'd be silly to try anyway, since it would mean you pay interest twice.

My wife works at Navy Fed and sees half a dozen people a week trying to refinance Carmax loans.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vasudus posted:

they're doing a public service by making you free from the NYT

I always thought NYT was pretty good journalism. Much like Stephen King's writing though, it's easy to point out things they've written that aren't good. But when you put out that much content, some of it is bound to be subpar.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Right now I get The LA Times for all of my day to day news. For less time sensitive current events type articles I get The New Yorker and The Atlantic.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We do meat free days three nights a week at my house. Partly philosophical because I read a bunch of Buddhist stuff and was/am interested in limiting suffering and partly because my wife gets migraines and nitrates in meat is a cause of them.

I figure if everyone half assed being vegetarian meat consumption would still drop a ton. So I do my little part. I still love salmon though. I don't think I could ever turn it down.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

bird cooch posted:

Like msg? Might want to give that a Google.

I am not a doctor, however my wife has dealt with migraines her entire life. We've had several studies done to try to identify migraine triggers for her. Meats, especially red meat and processed meats, and chocolate are two of the biggest.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Cast-iron skillet bro

This

I almost exclusively use my cast iron skillet to cook because it's easy mode and works so great. The only thing I dont use it for is tomato sauce based or other acidic stuff that could affect the finish of the pan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Luckily, all of our children will live in a post apocalyptic remnant of our lovely country so citizenship won't mean poo poo.