Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

can we talk about how much I loving hate self labelled liberals that marry people with abhorrent racist views but they "don't talk politics at home" so they brag about how they voted for hillary while their dogshit husband jumps at the chance to join ICE to carry out his fuhrer's views on racial purity on the southern border

"We cancel eachother out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

um, I'd also say that the "well regulated militia" portion of the 2nd should actually be built out. Require all fire-arms holders to have training (military training substitutes for other mandated training, etc).

This would, at the very least, put an instructor in front of all the whackos and give an avenue for folks to raise the alarm about people early and discourage purchasing overall.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

McNally posted:

This is outside of my wheelhouse but the short version as I understand it is that the intent was to allow the citizenry to maintain arms in the event of a superemergency, with all the able-bodied men of the population acting as a reserve.

Gotcha. Mostly I saw it come up in terms of clocks, meaning maintained and operational.

yeah okay I'm down with preparing for a superemergency. Sounds like something we should train, prepare and be responsible and ready to do! All gun purchases now need to be paired with superemergency training so that when it happens anyone who didn't get it will feel very safe and comfortable and cool with these very trained people out in the world (who happen to own guns).

e: also let's just point and out remember here that the current reading of individual rights to own and possess weapons was only first recognized/upheld in 2008 and anyone going back to 1790 for this poo poo is completely up their own rear end

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 5, 2019

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://www.inverse.com/article/58332-police-use-of-force-homicides-study

quote:

In a study released Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, a team of sociologists and criminal justice researchers used data compiled by the National Vital Statistic System’s mortality files, as well as Fatal Encounters (FE), a journalist-led database, to create one of the few comprehensive baseline estimates available for how often Americans are killed by police.

They determined that police violence is one of the leading causes of death of young men in the United States. Overall, it’s estimated that the mortality rate is about 1.8 per 100,000 for men between the ages of 25 and 29. This ranks police use-of-force as the sixth leading cause of death for young men, placing it behind other public health issues like suicide and “accidents” — a category that includes drug overdoses and car accident deaths.

“Police are a substantial cause of death in the United States across groups,” first author Frank Edwards, Ph.D., tells Inverse. “They are contributing to early mortality for lots of people. Prior to this study, we didn’t fully appreciate the scale of that.”

IDGAF copmurderchat is our waking nightmare of a current event.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ZombieApostate posted:

I was listening to 1A 2 or 3 weeks ago where they were asking questions of a liberal and an independent voter, both from the midwest, iirc. They then had the Director from some conservative think tank there in studio as a third guest to poo poo all over both of them any time the two voters criticized anything Trump/Republicans were doing. As if pitting a professional republican against two average people wasn't slanted enough, the host made no attempt to challenge or contradict the think tank lady at any point. I used to listen to NPR all the time, but this hasn't been an isolated incident and now I have no interest. It's thinly veiled right wing radio with a peeling, moldy veneer of liberalism left over from the past.

This is like iq2, which is basically just a rehashed cable-news style Firing Line show. That show is the epitome of overton-window-shifting both-sides bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Living in Central America for a few years radically changed how I eat. The community I was living in loved meat, but it was a luxury and you literally had to kill your chickens for it, so it was always a party when we ate meat.

Now I'm just vegetarian by default and eat meat when I feel like celebrating or something. gently caress purists.

If everyone else in the US ate like meat-loving developing world people the beef industry would shrink by 80%.