Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Why are you guys describing the day I had today?

I got out years ago. I know I did. I'm not in the military. I'm not even in the goddamn DoD.

But no, I still deal with the bullshit bureaucracy, idiot co-workers, idiot bosses, people who can't use computers.

I still have to use MyPay, I still have to show that stupid portrait ID card to the gate guard, I still hang out with people wearing military uniforms, and Congress is still trying to gently caress with my pay and retirement.

My house is in a rodent infested shithole that no human being would want to live, so I might as well be in base housing.

I still can't smoke weed.

How did I not get out?

The lesson is this. If you work for the US government, LOL, you're still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Oh, yeah? Well, at least I get to be :smug: signing off on the invoice paying your company $500/hour knowing you're only going see a tenth of that. HA! Enjoy your six figure salary now.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
How the gently caress did that happen? It's not even raining yet. Did another pipe burst?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Goddamn, the squalls we've been getting this summer are insane. I'm 3 miles away from that and didn't see any rain at all.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I suppose now's not a good time to bring up a story that a Senator is asking "Hey, maybe rape and incest is a good thing. Ever think about that?"

https://mobile.twitter.com/TPM/status/1161689441951526913

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
I got mixed up about him being a Rep. Glad at least he isn't a Senator. We definitely aren't wrong about him being a garbage filled rear end in a top hat though.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Nah. He wants an island to stash the concentration camps on, but Guantanamo is too close to Mar-A-Lago.

Fake edit: I wonder how long it'll take before Poe's law hits this post.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, but maybe it's better than bartering Uggs or using those pretend dollars like the Aussies or Canucks have.

Probably not. Anyone can print Monopoly money. And you can use it to buy more goods and services than with bitcoin.

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/HerbCarmen/status/1163135693608161281?s=19

RIP AFPAK Hands, never met an officer that wasn't voluntold to it and then resigned or grudgingly do it being so close to retirement

Huh. How about that. Maybe someone will learn from our mistakes.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Chichevache posted:

I don't know if anyone else has posted about it: Bellingcat, the open source journalism collective, has released a podcast about the Malaysian airliner that was shot down over Ukraine a few years ago. It's a pretty impressive walkthrough of how they used available sources on the internet to link the shooting to the Russian government. The final episode is out today and it is all free.

The host is Eliot Higgins, who is, iirc, our very own Brown Moses.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1163434910247510017?s=19

Yeah, I've been listening to it. Great stuff. Really good lesson on what's available on people out there, too. Also that if you only start covering up after you commit the war crime, it's already too late.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

obviously the thing to do when smoking an airliner full of civilians is tell everyone tough poo poo and then quietly pay up

Yeah, but the Russians don't want to admit that they were fighting in Ukraine. So they aren't even up to that pathetic minimum.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

CommieGIR posted:

Boris wants Ireland to leave the EU and join a UK Trade Union.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/bor...eNjujfb0-QC0CZc

Taking how many guesses as to how loud Ireland will laugh.

If I were Ireland, I would be seriously considering annexing Northern Ireland.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Stravag posted:

Speaking of filling positions way back when i remember there was a silly amount of positions unfilled compared to other admins. Is that still the case?

It's mostly cronies of whoever is the Secretary, with some exceptions. HHS is mostly filled with Pence's people trying to undermine women's health. Most of the empty positions are in departments Republicans hate so much that it's career poison even if it's a demo job.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

facialimpediment posted:

Failing that, the OIG yelled about Comey setting a "bad example" and "declining prosecution" on said memos.

This was a waste of time and money, and two wrongs don't make a right. But ain't karma a bitch?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Flying_Crab posted:

I mean doing OCS or whatever at 36 (assuming that's not past their max age limit) sounds like it sucks, but doing it as a civilian GS employee would be great.

All the prior enlisted I saw at OCS spent every second not in class sitting around the bbq pits drinking beer and waving at the rest of us. I, some kid off the street and fresh out of college, had no idea how they weren't staying up until 3 AM trying to figure this poo poo out.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Wonder Free posted:

About to head in for another flight, you can follow the plane do stupid stuff on here.

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/tracker/#!/map?callsign=NOAA42&mapid=Dark%20Gray&zoom=10&lat=27.9859&lng=-82.0176

And the stupid stuff has started. I gotta say, the government's done a lot of things to me, but it never officially gave me a swirlie like it's doing to Wonder Free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Wonder Free, appreciate what you're doing. How many times have you flown into that drat thing? Three?

Most of all though, appreciate the sky-dick you guys drew yesterday:

And bring back some pictures from when you nuke that sucker. We love that poo poo.