Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I only watched about 35 minutes of it last night. I got a late start on it, and didn't have time to finish it. I'd like to watch the rest tonight.

So far: I absolutely love this. It manages to be absurd, surreal and bizarre without being off-putting. The sound design could easily make this more intimidating, but instead it's more unearthly. It gives the film a level of playfulness and allows moments to have a sense of humor rather than to disturb.

In general, I like it when a film feels like the production behind it was fun, and this gives off that vibe. It's creative and unpredictable. I get the sense that Eric Wareheim would be a fan of this.

The low resolution on the YouTube link adds even more to the artificiality of the whole thing, and oddly makes the whole thing work and feel thematically cohesive, with now-antiquated computers, technology, and graphic manipulation being used.

Also, David Lynch must have seen parts of this, yeah? The nuclear family watching TV feels like it inspired his Rabbits short/INLAND EMPIRE segment. The aesthetic also seems like it informed INLAND EMPIRE, in a few ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

^ This was a good post and I need more of this early 2000's computer content.

So did all y'all breaking the movie up into pieces finish it? Thoughts on completion?

Yeah, I finished it on the 2nd watch. I also had friends pop in around the last third. They were confused, and disoriented and off-put for a few minutes before becoming fascinated with it. In the end I think they liked it too?

Not too many thoughts that aren't really surface-level, or aesthetic. There's definitely thoughts about corporate homogeneity, the artificiality of nuclear family, being a detached part of the a whole (office workers), and playful cynicism with computer culture, technology and it's relationship to film and visual story-telling. There's a weird cycle of wanting to make a film about computers, filming people using computers, then editing the film on computers, then using computer-specific technology to make new visual art within the film, and then releasing the film and possibly ultimately watching it on a computer. It also has a few gags that explicitly relate to the process of making a film, and actors and direction, and the nature of viewership, which I appreciated.

I do think there's affection for technology, satire about the silly thing it's capable of, and also a joking mourning for Luddism. The kids taking a test at desks only to tower them up, climb them and grab the camera felt like a central theme to the whole project.

I'll probably return to this in the future. It's got a low-key energy that makes its really watchable, and as I mentioned earlier, the absurdity and surrealism is more playful than oppressive.