Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
^ Ahh, that makes sense. It's funny because Klei's other games are big on letting you experiment and die and then figure it out but given StS is the biggest inspiration for Griftlands, extreme transparency is the way to go I think. The way the auction option is phrased is it sounds like you can gain a boon of some kind, probably a nice card, if you choose to participate... not that the boss potentially gets way harder if you don't participate.

I played a bit more. Rook's negotiation gameplay is much smoother since it's tied to the coin. And 'take names' is a cool card -- game needs more cards like that with good game mechanics->game world connection. The overall balance of negotiation does seem off though. I won the final negotiation in Rook's story, which was no joke, but the effect I got from it on the final boss just did need seem worth the effort. Balance stuff like that is easy to fix in EA, but it also reminded me why I generally avoid EA. I'll send them my feedback for now and def come back to the game eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Take Names" is pretty great. "Let me just add you to The List here..."

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've still only managed to finish Rook's first chapter story because every time I try the auction with Sal I completely blow it and get wasted by the boss.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
My experience on high-but-not-max prestige is that taking away good stuff from Kashio (the suitcase grenade basically always, projector if your AoE is bad) is way more important than getting something good for yourself. You have to make sure not to autopilot the auction negotiation with AoE since you can only get the one thing and you want to make sure it's a good takeaway. It's kind of frustrating and stupid but at least last I checked it doesn't tell you what benefit each item gives Kashio so you have to just learn.

But definitely I had one run get wasted by Kashio and then my next run, I felt weaker but I took the grenades and just stomped.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Speedball posted:

"Take Names" is pretty great. "Let me just add you to The List here..."

It's a pretty hilarious card. I was doing everything I could to get into negotiation battles just to add more people to the list so near the end of the story it was hitting for 30+ damage.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

They added a daily challenge mode. Today's is a Boss Rush with a lame bonus trophy where you have to win fights without applying debuffs. They then proceed to give you cards that cause debuffs.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I adore this game. The new character just released, so I'm gonna try them later.

Bleed is so nice with Sal. I haven't had Combo click as consistently so far. I've also had to force myself into more combat encounters as I prestige up. I tend to make a hella good negotiation deck and then over-rely on it, leading to trouble when I fight bosses and don't have as many nice combat cards. I've started killing more people, and then checking the bars to provoke characters who hate me for it, to minimize social banes.

Klei is good as always and I'm really enjoying this game. Might have to reinstall Mark of the Ninja soon.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The new character, Smith, is a complete and total fuckhead and I love him. This update rules hahahahahaha

e: His combat gimmick is drinking loads of alcohol and being an rear end in a top hat with the empty bottles. This is loving great

e2: ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Shine fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 6, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Um this game is really good guys!!

Just started my first Smith run after acing my first sal and rook runs. Used only a single respawn when i died in sal's third day.

Great writing, awesome mechanics, very fun to play. My 300 hours in slay the spire certainly help, but the game is different enough that it doesn't feel like sts at all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Rook's story is fun, too. The whole "working both sides" aspect and plenty of points where you can flip your true intentions back and forth (or try and fail, if you're not convincing enough), it's good poo poo. He's very strong in combat, too.

I tend to gravitate toward diplomacy negotiation decks in most runs. I've tried to force myself to mess with hostility a few times, but it seems easier to get strong diplomacy cards working, in general.

Shine fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 18, 2020

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Yeah and the penalty for failing negotiation is a battle or less rewards, while failing a fight is game over. Seems like negotiation is the best way to go most of the time. Had a good laugh about rook's taking names move

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I love Smith's drinking and empty bottles mechanic

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Glad I combed through old pages to find this thread because I was 100% getting read to start putting together an OP if I hadn't. This game had been on my radar for a while and my buddy ended up gifting it to me for Christmas and I'm absolutely obsessed, it's so, so good.

I genuinely didn't expect it to make me laugh as hard as it does, Smith's 'Classic Smith' negotiation card turning all of the Brag cards in your deck into Bully cards made me lose my poo poo. I can't wait until his story gets finished.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Shine posted:

Rook's story is fun, too. The whole "working both sides" aspect and plenty of points where you can flip your true intentions back and forth (or try and fail, if you're not convincing enough), it's good poo poo. He's very strong in combat, too.

I tend to gravitate toward diplomacy negotiation decks in most runs. I've tried to force myself to mess with hostility a few times, but it seems easier to get strong diplomacy cards working, in general.

Haven't tried much of it in Smith, but Rook specifically does fairly well with Hostility because he has a lot of hostility cards that draw cards and a lot that trigger on draw or discard. With multiple Drawbacks and/or Vulgars you can get a chain of cheap hostility cards going, and use Snag to discard the on-discard ones at no cost.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Haven't tried much of it in Smith, but Rook specifically does fairly well with Hostility because he has a lot of hostility cards that draw cards and a lot that trigger on draw or discard. With multiple Drawbacks and/or Vulgars you can get a chain of cheap hostility cards going, and use Snag to discard the on-discard ones at no cost.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try once I'm off my Hades kick.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Shine posted:

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try once I'm off my Hades kick.

This is an extremely powerful duo of games and I commend you.

I haven't been particularly impressed with Smith's Hostility play so far, primarily because his Renown mechanic has a ton of support and is very, very strong, but he has some Hostility cards that let you pew pew a bunch of attacks at random targets, which is very fun, so it's a toss up.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

New patch today with Smith's third day: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/126528-griftlands-smith-day-3-available-now/

I like to challenge myself to runs where I try and see what's the most number of people who can die in a play-through. So far my record is 50 with Sal. The repeated ambush mission helps a lot with it.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played this some more after not touching it in months. There's like 3 different advancement systems that weren't there last time, seems like a lot of grinding to get a character fully kitted out. Perks, flourishes, whatever that other currency is. A lot more than just cards.

I tried Smith and failed like 3 times in a row. I do not think I get him yet. Then I switched to Rook and won immediately off a concentrate/power/defense high dps build. It was only one run, but the balance between negotiation and combat seemed better than when I last played. Negotiation felt supplemental to combat... I could do plenty of it, but still feel strong enough to fight the last boss. Still not a huge fan of negotiation gameplay though.

Runs are soooo long. That ate up my Sunday morning.

edit: oh man, I went back and played Smith and had an unbeatable negotiation deck and an ok battle deck and then I discovered his final day isn't implemented yet!

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2021

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's out of early access today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufl14_Ne5Lg

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So are the three narratives completely separate game experiences still or did they weave in any overlap between playing your three decks? I somewhat doubt they did the latter, but it'd be pretty rad as a final release candidate. It always felt a little more like playing three separate games using the same core system as opposed to one larger game...

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

They're seperate, the only links are characters showing up in multiple stories. I haven't played Smiths' finale yet though, but even if that's fully coupled with another char it's only a tiny portion of the game, and I don't believe they'll do that.

it's like playing the different classes in slay the spire I guess!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PSA:The game is super cheap on EGS if you use their :10bux: promotion. I bought it for 7€.

Not only that, you also can use this
https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044415552-If-I-purchased-Griftlands-on-Epic-Games-Store-how-do-I-get-my-Steam-copy-
to merge your accounts in their system and they will give you the game in Steam too.

And if you are already playing on EGS, you can use this
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/117016-steam-progression-transfer/

to transfer the saves. It's quick copy and paste job between two folders.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

how's the controller support?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

how's the controller support?

Not sure because controller isn't my thing for this type of game, but I tried for one minute and well, it seems good enough. It has separate UI elements that appear when you use the controller, the buttons legend appear at the bottom, the cursor change in shape and size so the handling is better with controller; in other words,it isn't a cheap implementation.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

It's also released on all consoles today (switch/ps/xb) so controller usage should be fine!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Not sure because controller isn't my thing for this type of game, but I tried for one minute and well, it seems good enough. It has separate UI elements that appear when you use the controller, the buttons legend appear at the bottom, the cursor change in shape and size so the handling is better with controller; in other words,it isn't a cheap implementation.

awesome :cheers:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished my first game. On the 'intro' prestige/difficulty is indeed an easy game. I wonder what is the average duration of a run. Obviously because it was my first time, I was reading all the descriptions, considering more my options in where to go and what to buy, so I needed several hours.
In any case I guess you are supposed to replay the Brawl mode, no the story mode, which will get too repetitive.

I was confused in the first hours with all the progression systems in the game, so I wrote this to clear it up:

There are 3 heroes available, each with 2 decks, negotiation and battle decks.
Three modes: story mode (normal), story (easy) and brawl (less focused on story and characters, and more being a bounty hunter taking random jobs during five days). Brawl unlocks after finishing the story mode, it reuses content of the story mode too, but it’s there to not bore the player telling the same story dialogue he had read several times.

Progress during the duration of the run

-New cards can be bought, obtained as rewards, etc
-They can be removed too by some npcs or random events
-Cards have a xp level, after use can be ugpraded (for the duration of the run)
-Items can be bought (powerful cards with 3 uses, they are destroyed after that).
-Grafts, they are similar to the random items from STS, they apply boons to the card combat. You have a maximum slot number for them, which can be upgraded too, but at a hp cost.
-Graft can be upgraded with xp once, like cards.
-Every character in the game has a social boon, a social bane and a death loot. The social boons are passive positive effects, like ‘at the start of each battle gain 2 temporary power’ or ‘once a day, you can ask a member of this faction to help you out’, and they are gained if you get a character to love you. Social banes are negative effects, gained if someone hates you. Death loot is a card gained if you kill them.
-Your reputation also can give your new cards, for example when you kill several people you will get a card about it.
-You can gain pets, which serve as ally in both combat systems, and can be upgraded (trained) too.

Metaprogression

-Successive runs unlock cards permanently for that hero as card sets. Card sets can be toggled on/off but then you are in a custom game where you can’t progress the Prestige.
-Unlock perks, maximum of 3 active perks to choose for a new run, from a list of 40.
-Perk points are obtained by ‘grifts’, in game challenges like ‘doing x damage’ or ‘gaining x gold’ or ‘winning x battles’. Common to the three heroes.
-Mettle, a rare currency obtained in game (and can be used ingame too) to that improves each hero slightly, but the upgrades are permanent. Upgrades aren’t super big but unlike perks, there is no limit with active slots.
-Once you finish a game, you unlock the prestige mode, to increase difficulty Prestige - Griftlands Wiki 1
-The game also has a system of mutators for custom games Mutators - Griftlands Wiki You have to finish the game first once.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Picked this up on the merits of Invisible Inc. and it is superb. Slay the Spire has the mechanics right but Klei has made the formula so full-bodied with beautiful attention to narrative and art direction. Gonna be drowning in this game for a while.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

with beautiful attention to narrative

Yep, I have to point to the writing as being excellent. The stories themselves are fairly straightforward, and it isn''t like the pure prose of the writing is amazing or anything, but the incidental world and lore building and how well it serves to vividly paint a gritty colonized world from the fringe of the civilized space is pitch perfect. The writing really makes justice to the title, Griftlands. You can almost taste the dust, the grittiness. For people who liked the Mandolarian because it was finally a gritty, street level Star Wars, here they make an even better work. It's a world of indentured, debt-ridden people, of minor nobility scheming plans, of freelancers survivings as they can, of underworld crime and factions warring, and the corrupt Admiralty being complicit with all the injustice, while they plan to annex the whole place.
Also, I'm starting to see how the three stories crosses and make references to each other.

edit:

A little detail, but I like they've chosen to go for the dialog with key terms which can be hovered

That way they keep the dialog 'real', without clunky explanations by npcs of things your character should know, but the player can always put the cursor above to have a better idea of wth they are speaking.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 4, 2021

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I picked this game up this morning and immediately lost the next 4 hours to it. Very engrossing. I almost bounced off it after dying several times on the first day with garbage for cards, but once I made it to the second day on Sal's story I began picking up a lot better cards and more interesting options and then I was off.

How does it handle on the Switch? I'm actually considering buying it a second time on Switch so I can play from the couch or in bed.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Turin Turambar posted:

I finished my first game. On the 'intro' prestige/difficulty is indeed an easy game. I wonder what is the average duration of a run. Obviously because it was my first time, I was reading all the descriptions, considering more my options in where to go and what to buy, so I needed several hours.
In any case I guess you are supposed to replay the Brawl mode, no the story mode, which will get too repetitive.

I was confused in the first hours with all the progression systems in the game, so I wrote this to clear it up:

There are 3 heroes available, each with 2 decks, negotiation and battle decks.
Three modes: story mode (normal), story (easy) and brawl (less focused on story and characters, and more being a bounty hunter taking random jobs during five days). Brawl unlocks after finishing the story mode, it reuses content of the story mode too, but it’s there to not bore the player telling the same story dialogue he had read several times.

Progress during the duration of the run

-New cards can be bought, obtained as rewards, etc
-They can be removed too by some npcs or random events
-Cards have a xp level, after use can be ugpraded (for the duration of the run)
-Items can be bought (powerful cards with 3 uses, they are destroyed after that).
-Grafts, they are similar to the random items from STS, they apply boons to the card combat. You have a maximum slot number for them, which can be upgraded too, but at a hp cost.
-Graft can be upgraded with xp once, like cards.
-Every character in the game has a social boon, a social bane and a death loot. The social boons are passive positive effects, like ‘at the start of each battle gain 2 temporary power’ or ‘once a day, you can ask a member of this faction to help you out’, and they are gained if you get a character to love you. Social banes are negative effects, gained if someone hates you. Death loot is a card gained if you kill them.
-Your reputation also can give your new cards, for example when you kill several people you will get a card about it.
-You can gain pets, which serve as ally in both combat systems, and can be upgraded (trained) too.

Metaprogression

-Successive runs unlock cards permanently for that hero as card sets. Card sets can be toggled on/off but then you are in a custom game where you can’t progress the Prestige.
-Unlock perks, maximum of 3 active perks to choose for a new run, from a list of 40.
-Perk points are obtained by ‘grifts’, in game challenges like ‘doing x damage’ or ‘gaining x gold’ or ‘winning x battles’. Common to the three heroes.
-Mettle, a rare currency obtained in game (and can be used ingame too) to that improves each hero slightly, but the upgrades are permanent. Upgrades aren’t super big but unlike perks, there is no limit with active slots.
-Once you finish a game, you unlock the prestige mode, to increase difficulty Prestige - Griftlands Wiki 1
-The game also has a system of mutators for custom games Mutators - Griftlands Wiki You have to finish the game first once.

I spent a lot of time playing the pre-release version a few months back, and I will say the story mode is pretty replayable, especially with prestige mode enabled. There are multiple paths for each story depending mostly on who you ally with, and smaller decisions you can make within each path to change up individual encounters. (If I remember correctly, Rook has more variations than Sal, though I don't know about Smith.) There's also some random events which can shake things up.

Oh also, there's a daily challenge mode that uses set mutator and encounters.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I picked this game up this morning and immediately lost the next 4 hours to it. Very engrossing. I almost bounced off it after dying several times on the first day with garbage for cards, but once I made it to the second day on Sal's story I began picking up a lot better cards and more interesting options and then I was off.

How does it handle on the Switch? I'm actually considering buying it a second time on Switch so I can play from the couch or in bed.

It's real good on the switch, just bought it as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Sal story on Prestige level 1 on first try. A surprise for me, given I was bad at StS, I never climbed up the ascensions unlike others.

Rook's story seems harder, on the other hand. I guess they are ordered by difficulty. At first it was subtle, but later I noticed more factors that made it a bit harder:
-First, and maybe this is subjective, but his card synergies seems a bit less obvious and need a bit more of effort to make, in comparison with Sal
-you don't have a bartender with discounted drink and food
-It seems (as per the game over screen...) his story is structured in four days, instead of five days like Sal's. That means there are both more fights one after another that you have to do before finally reaching the resting option where you recover. By the time I reached the boss of the first day I twas too low on resolve/hp...

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Had a pretty fun Smith combat deck come together yesterday. Two grafts that gave me defense every time I drew and played an Empty Bottle card, plus a maneuver that gave me Adrenaline whenever I gained defense. Once the Drink train got rolling I could just draw and play as many Empty Bottles as I wanted to completely negate attacks, while also spiking my attacks to gigantic levels. Final boss never managed to land a hit on me.

Negotiation deck for that game didn't come together quite as well, but it was functional enough to get me through the game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Thinking back, I was lucky with my previous Sal run. Not for pure deck synergy, but I was lucky with the random events: The first (free) graft was one that gave pets +10hp. Then on the first day I had two random events, one that gave me a puppy, and another that allowed to train it. Then on day 2 I upgraded it on the vendor, and for the rest of the game I had a Terminator of a pup helping me. In fact thanks to him I could beat the day 2 assassin despite me failing the negotiation battle.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's a shame pets are kind of an underdeveloped system. The pet vendor doesn't show up in Rook or Smith's campaigns, so not only is it up to random events whether you get a pet or not, but you can't upgrade it to the same degree. On the plus side, it usually means you can take the "+1 Action, can't own a pet" graft for no downside if it shows up.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Smiths campaign really fucks you over with constant fights.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inadequately posted:

It's a shame pets are kind of an underdeveloped system. The pet vendor doesn't show up in Rook or Smith's campaigns, so not only is it up to random events whether you get a pet or not, but you can't upgrade it to the same degree. On the plus side, it usually means you can take the "+1 Action, can't own a pet" graft for no downside if it shows up.

In Rook's campaign the rebel's shopper offered me a pet robot on Day 3.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Smith has a huge health pool and sustain if you build him right, with his moxie mechanic.Those cards that deal 2 damage 2 times to you? That's a heal in disguise.
He's the most difficult character to get going imo, but he's insanely strong once you get some cards that combo into each other. He feels a bit like a perma raged Watcher from StS in that regard, deal lots of damage but take a ton as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have a few friends, heh