Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
I find that the original Myst, all the way back from 1993, still scratches an itch

More recently, Rain World really blew me away in terms of both atmosphere and aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4C9OmRJt7E

LA Noire had some bad gameplay mechanics but did a great job of placemaking, and I really would like a Chicago or New Orleans Noire.

If I had to pick one though, I can't go past the Silent Hill franchise. The original PS1 version did admirably in setting the fog-shrouded atmosphere, but the limitations of the hardware prevented it from really reaching its potential. The PS2 games, especially SH2, really did an amazing job in establishing mood, atmosphere and aesthetics. Can't wait to see any potential future titles in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
You ever seen the graphics outside, OP?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LocoRoco on the PSP blew my mind the first time I played it.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Satellite reign is basically synthwave syndicate, I'm down with that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Surprised people are sleeping on this thread, I love the look of those old-rear end pre-rendered environments there was just something about it that was so cool. Maybe it was the thought that "this could possibly be rendered in real-time one day!" that kept me interested, or the lack of details where my brain filled in the gaps that made it more interesting.

Everything about Secret of Mana is just perfect aesthetically, I even enjoyed the remake but the sprite-work in the original is just fantastic. Also, Yoshi's Island is one of the greatest games ever and the sound and looks are top notch.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter is fantastic as well, it had a mood to it that the sequels never continued which is a drat shame.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Morrowind is my favorite. I also really liked the Pathologic games and how there is a lot of noticeable tension under the surface right off the bat, tearing at the facade of normalcy until it all starts to become undone.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Kentucky Route Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNYZPViYYUk

I don't think you can win this game. On the box, it says it's a tragedy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dungeon Keeper has always struck me as an exceptionally cool funny and dark game, it pulled off something quite unique.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Darkest Dungeon comes to mind when I think of cool atmosphere and aesthetics. Game owns. There's a second one coming too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Did they ever finish Kentucky Route Zero?

Also old school side-scrolling adventures are dope as gently caress, Another World and Flashback are great. A new title, The Way, captures the same kinda feel of those. I love it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
The atmosphere of Grim Fandangos later areas really stayed with me for some reason. I'm gonna think of some others though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played much of the new Red Dead Redemption but the original had kind of a constant creepy and unsettling vibe to it, like things were just slightly off at all times. It really added to the feeling of desolation whenever you ventured out into the wilderness. I don't really get the same vibes from the new one. Perhaps it was the original's mostly silent but constantly lingering background music.

Likewise, I haven't played too much of Breath of the Wild, but Twilight Princess remains my favorite Zelda game and a big part of that is the atmosphere. It's overall a bit darker, moodier, and more desolate feeling than other Zelda games, and even when you're in the more cheerful areas, there's still a somber feeling lurking in the background.

Basically playing both these games late at night while high was great and probably why I remember them so fondly.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
The original Diablo. Like Diablo II was great and all, and really kicked it into overdrive, but these days I think I prefer the more restrained and atmospheric approach of the first.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the gravity rush games are criminally underplayed and very pretty too, they have kind of a bandes dessinees aesthetic going on. some of the nicest cityscapes of any game I’ve played.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Battle brothers! Just real nice effective art

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Did they ever finish Kentucky Route Zero?
the fifth and final act is expected to come out this year, but, you know how it goes

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don’t like Metroidvanias or their dumb genre name very much but ori and the blind forest was a game I found very atmospheric and aesthetically enjoyable. The gameplay was fine but I really enjoyed the sound design and music quite a lot and I’ve replayed it a few times just wandering around enjoying the setting

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Darkest Dungeon comes to mind when I think of cool atmosphere and aesthetics. Game owns. There's a second one coming too.

This is a good point. Mechanically, darkest dungeon is a Newgrounds flash game, but the stylized graphics and awesome narrator turn it into something amazing

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Monster Girl Island: Prologue

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Some of these my be clouded by nostalgia but whatever.

Metal Slug and it's great animation/design.

No One Lives Forever: Playing a 60's spy killing henchmen with clever gadgets was lots of fun, also had great over-the-top supervillains.

Half Life and mods: I love half life blah blah blah, something about being trapped in a secret underground research base in the New Mexico desert while aliens pour in at random and the government tries to shut up all witnesses by killing them all just makes a great setting and feel. Just a fun fps to play through. Too many mods to go into that are still worth checking out. goldsrc is malleable and fun to play with, even 20 years on

Tribes 2: Space faring humans so disconnected from earth they split into tribes and participate in blood sport? Hell yeah brother!

Black and White: Being a god is fun and the look and feel of the game felt so right.

Quake: Gothic aesthetic and addicting game play is a winner plus a great soundtrack and fun grunting sounds by Trent Reznor

Mafia: Captured the feel of being a 20's-30's gangster in a great, fun way.

Starcraft: Prisoners on super carriers lost in space wake up off course and in a strange system, started fighting like humans do, and then stumble across two other crazy alien races. Again, Hell yeah brother.

Perfect Dark: Like No One Lives Forever but in the future, plus goldeneye

Morrowind: Playing Morrowind for the first time felt like I was unleashed in a huge, living, Tolkien-esque world I could do anything in. That feeling was amazing. Also has a Lowtax reference in it.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter: You're an Indian in a lost land hunting poachers, dinosaurs, aliens, robots, ruled by some dude named the campaginer. Also you got some crazy alien weapons. Stupid, cool, fun.

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight and it's sequels: From Star Wars doom clone to one of the best Star Wars games. The Sith engine games have the best feel to me, but all the games are fun.

Tie Fighter/X-wing Alliance: I miss space sims, Star Wars or otherwise.

Star Wars Galaxies (I both hate and love it simultaneously): Horrible game that promised the moon and delivered bleak empty plains filled with copy paste enemies. Somehow it was still somewhat fun and made memories I still look upon fondly.

Shadows of the Empire: The game play doesn't hold up today but I was a master at this game in 1997. It was like a cheap Empire Strikes Back expansion pack, but a game instead of a movie.

Project Space Station for Apple II: Played this at local discount space camp. We were in teams of three and working like we were mission control, recording data in a binder and whatnot. It was super fun to an 10 year old me with a huge imagination. The tension was real, and I shed a tear for the lost astronauts.

Number Munchers for Apple II: Math frog with scary purple troggles/gorgatron .

Jet Set Radio + Future: That style and that soundtrack was unforgettable.

LoZ: Windwaker: The sense of freedom (at the time) on the open seas was incredible.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam: War is hell and charlie don't surf. Intense as hell and getting a good team to work together to win is a blast. I love flying as a UH-1 Huey pilot.

C&C: Red Alert(probably just the first one though): My first LAN game, again at local discount space camp in the afternoon when we'd just play computer games after we did all the sims for the day. Lots of tesla coils, shake it baby.

Streets of SimCity: "Just a splatter splatter splatter on the windshield of life"

SimCopter: Flying a helicopter doing a few various tasks back in the day to little me was a big deal. Dropping passengers to their death was fun too.

Vigilante 8: Probably doesn't hold up today but I liked the creative characters.

TF2: Great characters created from nothing, art style, and reinvention of the the same game that's been around for 23 years. I also liked the inclusion of a pseudo-story and overarching universe is great too. I haven't played it in over a decade but it still holds a place in my heart.

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Aug 3, 2019

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Darkwood is a good spooky atmospheric game with the visuals, music, and sounds to make you feel like a butt ugly lonely goon in a hostile environment where it's difficult to really trust anyone, and that you must rely on your wits and resourcefulness to survive . Great game with headphones.

Build your own weapons and equipment from the world around you, and try to survive the nights which are filled with creepy poo poo. Also trip out on hallucinogenics because you're always thinkin' about them mushrooms.

Wicker Man fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 3, 2019

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Love the aesthetics of Machinarium

Shame the puzzles run on old school adventure game moon logic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
panzer dragoon orta was sweet. I wish I still had my copy

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
both Pillars of Eternity games have beautiful backgrounds nearly everywhere. Also they are the most fun Baldur's gate type isometric RPG's ever made IMO. Every time I play one of them I get super dorky and start designing a D&D game based there.

Honky Dong Country posted:

I love DD but I can't play it. The game has mechanics for upgrading your guys but makes them fall to pieces while you're upgrading the poor little bastards and I just can't take it.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 3, 2019

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I love the Mass Effect series. They packed a ton of lore into those three games

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cubone posted:

the fifth and final act is expected to come out this year, but, you know how it goes

It's funny because I apparently bought the game... in loving 2014 and now vaguely remember telling myself "Don't play it until it's finished." Jesus christ how long are they going to take?

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ground floor of a 69 page thread

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
The original Spyro the Dragon game has the most incredible environments. In particular, the Dream Weavers levels are just thick with this hazy abstract fairytale aesthetic, maybe in part imposed by graphical limitations.

There's a really good article on the colour theory used in designing the game's look: https://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131581/lessons_in_color_theory_for_spyro_.php

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Bloodborne aesthetics are so good. The entire game is so oppressive and hostile and the architecture in the first half is just nuts. It nails the atmosphere so well, and as you progress it becomes even more bugshit.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Loom is still one of the most gorgeous games I've ever played.

Little Big Adventure 2 has a really unique vibe to it -- as much as the story itself is pretty grim (an alien dictatorship infiltrate your home, impose martial law, and kidnap your people's children) the game somehow manages to be refreshingly full of brightness, optimism and hope.

Kjep64
Oct 3, 2013

Coffee. Cigarettes. Beer. Kimchi. Ingest.
I recently took this picture in Skyrim. Only cost me all the fps.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP0vmLm4nGI

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i like clamdigger

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Populous: The Beginning has really shaped my youth. It's too bad this kind of strategy god games aren't really a genre.

Reus kind of tickled the same itch but it was too two dimensional and gameplay got repetitive quickly.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Divinity Original Sin I + II. The first one almost had better atmosphere because their writing teams were so limited, it often evoked almost an Atari-like sensation in the puzzle rooms for me, where a down to the ground fantasy rpg crossed over into purely dreamlike abstraction.

Another is Shadow Of Colossus. While I dont necessarily like it, that game is nothing but quicktime events if not atmospheric.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

The Curse of Monkey Island was an absolutely beautiful game with great use of colour and wacky cartoonish graphics. It was made all the more better because it came out at a time when true 3D environments were in their infancy and still had blocky undetailed models (Quake).

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Wizard Master (2008): has a solid "reddit-style post dropped in gbs to troll the insufficiently ironic" aesthetic.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Colonel Cancer posted:

Populous: The Beginning has really shaped my youth. It's too bad this kind of strategy god games aren't really a genre.

Reus kind of tickled the same itch but it was too two dimensional and gameplay got repetitive quickly.

I would love a straight populus remake with pretty graphics

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i would love a gay populous remake with pretty graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Julius CSAR posted:

I love the Mass Effect series. They packed a ton of lore into those three games

The setting was great, shame about the story and the gameplay.