Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I really liked the aethetics of FFX. Just liked the technofantasy thing it had going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Crowsbeak posted:

I really liked the aethetics of FFX. Just liked the technofantasy thing it had going.

FF14 leaned really hard into this for the new expansion

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Undying

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Very much enjoying Control and the awesome audio and visual effects in that game. The setting in a massive, changeable FBI-type building is really cool too

Also Wolfenstein Youngblood in an alternate-history 1980s nazi-controlled Paris. That one's more about the setting than the aesthetics but it's good enough to mention at least.

I always forget about games I've played so I'll have to think of some other ones that aren't new games later.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I started playing this on an emulator also but apparently theres some shrines that are really hard to do without the motion controls?

That's right. There's not all that many of them, only removes a tiny part of the game. I haven't beaten it yet but hopefully I don't need motion controls to do that.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 29, 2019

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

I thought the puzzles were pretty decent. Except for the ones with two locked doors and one would break your key, but it was always the harder to reach door that was the right one, so idk why they bothered putting that there.

Bastion also had nice aesthetic and soundtrack and I could listen to the narrator all day long

That's because you were moving left and so the door rewound instantly and the time-immune key stays broken.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Wandersong
Donut County
Zelda: Majora's Mask

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I legit prefer the visual aesthetics of the original System Shock over its sequel, largely because of reason's best explained in Hbomberguy's Power Of VHS | SCANLINE video.

SS2 isn't murky enough.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Breetai posted:

I legit prefer the visual aesthetics of the original System Shock over its sequel, largely because of reason's best explained in Hbomberguy's Power Of VHS | SCANLINE video.

SS2 isn't murky enough.

What's the best way to play the original nowadays? The last time that I tried was with some weird hacked EXE like 15 years ago

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

olives black posted:

What's the best way to play the original nowadays? The last time that I tried was with some weird hacked EXE like 15 years ago

Nightdive re-released it for modern systems, so probably that one.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/410710/System_Shock_Enhanced_Edition/

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

olives black posted:

As far as stability and ease of play, the GOG version is your best bet: https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Mordja posted:

Nightdive re-released it for modern systems, so probably that one.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/410710/System_Shock_Enhanced_Edition/

Windows only :(

wonder how well it works with Proton on Ubuntu, though

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Ristar
Love those bright, vibrant colors and round, shiny detailed pixel art.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
The game itself wasn't that great, but I really like how much detail and color they fit into really tiny sprites.

Harvest Moon 64
This might just be pure nostalgia but I like the little superdeformed characters, the dialogue portraits, and the prerendered 3D objects and environments. It makes for a cute and charming doll house-like world.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Subnautica is cool, gives me the creeps though. Especially going inside the giant starship while being seriously under prepared.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Shadowgate 64.

Atmosphere is bleak. People scavenging through the ruins knowing that the worst hasn't quite come yet. Most of the in game communication is with ghosts. Music is good, mostly understated and sells the mood more than any other aspect of the game. Most of the text snippets recount a crumbling kingdom and a decent into madness and evil.

The game really deserves a remake. Downside would be that the N64 murkyness is both the main frustration of the game and a major accentuator of the vibe. It wouldn't be so much of a bummer if the textures and draw distances were clean.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nightmare Creatures for the N64 has this early 3D haunted murky vibe I really liked, with bleak rusty levels that seem to go on forever.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Subnautica is cool, gives me the creeps though. Especially going inside the giant starship while being seriously under prepared.
Pity reply for a repeat in thread.

No really I expect you to go to every page to make sure it wasn’t said already.

Glad Subnautica gets another post bc great game, fellow Subnautica liking buddy.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Not any particular game, but something I always really liked in games was side-areas or places that felt like they didn't belong in that game. The wrecked ship in Super Metroid, the Derelict ship in Prime 3, the Outpost in Environmental Station Alpha, Dark Souls 1 DLC area, places like that. Actually a lot of DLCs for games are like that. I dunno it's just something that I like. Anyone else feel the same way?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Odd posted:

Not any particular game, but something I always really liked in games was side-areas or places that felt like they didn't belong in that game. The wrecked ship in Super Metroid, the Derelict ship in Prime 3, the Outpost in Environmental Station Alpha, Dark Souls 1 DLC area, places like that. Actually a lot of DLCs for games are like that. I dunno it's just something that I like. Anyone else feel the same way?

both of the crashed ships in Unreal are kinda neat

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Bastion, Metroid Prime, Shadow of the Colossus, and probably Breath of the Wild.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's not a video game (so report me!) but I really got immersed in Graham Nelson's Curses back in the day. It just kept me going "I wonder what the heck is going to happen next!" which I find a good experience in any work of art*

There is little point in a screenshot. It's 100% atmosphere and 0% æsthetics, I'm afraid.

*) :can:

e: An atmosphere of wonder!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Linux Pirate posted:

I don't know if anyone remembers it but Phantom Crash for the original xbox was a fun time. It was set in the ruins of old Tokyo where people would have arena mech fights as a televised sport, so it set it apart from other super serious military mecha games like Armored Core (still a good game series though). It's a little bit like a racing game in regards to up keeping and customizing your mech.

The bots you fought against would spam and shitpost, it was pretty entertaining.

I loved this game. It only had like three maps I think but being able to make crazy robots from all the different parts was awesome. And the fact that you could pick from a big list of weird Japanese rock music to listen to during gameplay.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Apotheon

The game is basically Metroid in ancient Greece. It makes use of sprite puppetry which is normally enough to put me off but everything else is so gorgeous and clearly made with love that I can overlook it.

I finished it, but the cool aesthetic doesn't make up for the combat. It never stopped being frustrating.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

It's a permanently in development indie project, but I like the demo for Norco so far, a sci-fi adventure game set in the rural deep south.

https://yutsi.itch.io/norcodemo

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Wow that's real cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

yogizh posted:

There used to be a French company called Cryo and they used to make these games/interactive movies.

Atlantis: The lost tales was one of them. It ran on DOS but the graphics were amazing considering the year.

My favorites were their edutainment games in the same engine. There was one where you could explore the whole Seti tomb in the Valley of the Kings, or one in Versailles.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Blockade posted:

It's a permanently in development indie project, but I like the demo for Norco so far, a sci-fi adventure game set in the rural deep south.

https://yutsi.itch.io/norcodemo

That kinda reminds me of World of Horror, which also is extremely my poo poo.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

There was this little arcade at my high school in the 90's, and I usually didn't feel like wasting my precious quarters, but anytime someone was playing Magic Sword, I'd watch it. That game is gorgeous.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I haven't played it yet but it looks like the new Blair Witch game really brings the spooks and frights in terms of atmosphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbUK8bKcoOk

Look at the gameplay footage of walking through the woods at night; it really captures the chills I experienced from the original 1999 movie back when I was in middle school.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Odd posted:

Oh man, so much this. There's a part of Half Life 2 where you're driving to some place, and you can basically see where you're going up ahead, but there's a house just out on a cliff by the coast on the corner leading up to it. There's nothing in the house, and some mines littered around it that if you're on foot are totally harmless. Pitching them into the ocean with the grav gun relents an echoing melancholy ripple in the otherwise utterly still silence of this abandoned house that I just found totally haunting.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've been watching the reviews and gameplay footage of Ghost of Tsushima and, WOW! This game looks amazing! As a big Kurosawa fan, this seems like the type of world I could just immerse myself in and never leave

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I like death stranding because it reminds me of the movie stalker. Everything looks really beautiful and empty but recognizably set on earth.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

i must compose posted:

I like death stranding because it reminds me of the movie stalker. Everything looks really beautiful and empty but recognizably set on earth.

I feel like death stranding lives and dies on its atmosphere and its ability to constantly make you feel like you're in a real place, yeah.

I think it's clever (and almost certainly intentional) that the safe 'hub' bits look and feel and operate on a very video-gamey basis, and then the outdoorsy dangerous bits are much more like a real natural environment.

I know Kojima just throws in a billion systems, but I think it's testament to the quality of his vision that there's a button that just makes you call out into the abyss, your voice echoing in its isolation.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Wizard Master posted:

I've been watching the reviews and gameplay footage of Ghost of Tsushima and, WOW! This game looks amazing! As a big Kurosawa fan, this seems like the type of world I could just immerse myself in and never leave

Yeah I had not heard of it until the day it released and I really want to get it now

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wizard Master posted:

I've been playing it all night tonight and it seriously is vibe city. You swipe the touchpad and wind leads you to where you want to go, its so much more fun than following an icon. The way the light hits the grass is incredible.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father captured a spooky, voodoo-tinged New Orleans like few other games.

Laura Bow: The Dagger of Amon Ra glowed with an Art Deco style that sucked you right into the mysterious halls of the Leyendecker Museum.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've been playing it all night tonight and it seriously is vibe city. You swipe the touchpad and wind leads you to where you want to go, its so much more fun than following an icon. The way the light hits the grass is incredible.

argh I just got star war dark soul I don't wanna buy a full price game rn lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sid Vicious posted:

argh I just got star war dark soul I don't wanna buy a full price game rn lol

Well at least that game has great atmosphere and aesthetics too, if you like yourself a good star war

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well at least that game has great atmosphere and aesthetics too, if you like yourself a good star war

im honestly having such a good time with it

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

which game is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Statutory Ape posted:

which game is this?

Ghosts of Tsushima