Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yoji Shinkawa's cybernetic designs have always been cool in the Metal Gear games but I'm especially liking the contrast between his understated yet futuristic look and the desolate feel of the world map. The auto-delivery robots are a good example, they're absurd from a basic conceptual standpoint but designed in a way that you can imagine an actual engineer creating them for purpose with technology that either already exists or isn't too far off.

i laughed way harder than i expected to when you do the first automated delivery and the robot stomps triumphantly away singing "DOO-doo doot doo doooo doot doot do-do doooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Hibernaculum isn't out yet but waow

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
^ that looks sick

this game also isn't out yet but i love the red alert 2 style with huge fuckin units they're doing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OY_k4S2LVY

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can't remember if I've posted in this thread before (it seems weirdly fine for a Wizard Master thread), but I always thought Betrayer had a great sensibility to it. Haven't played it in a long time. I'll also second the Dishonored games as in the top tier of my personal favorites.

The Fallout 4 DLC Far Harbor had a good atmosphere and style to it. I actually liked Rage 2 a fair amount, partly because the esthetic design was solid. And I have a soft spot for Shadow Warrior 2 - it had a nice visual language to it, even with the trollish bits.

And Cyberpunk 2077 is really well-designed and looks beautiful.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Just played through Ashes 2063.

What if Stalker, Fallout and Doom had a baby? Well this is it and I didn't know I wanted it so bad. Post nuclear apocalypse Mad Max world with scary labs and bunkers like Stalker, with awesome Doom-like movement centric fighting punctuating the exploration. Humans and mutants. Towns with people to talk to and things to do. Kickass weapons and lots of fun references. Just dripping with atmosphere, all helped along with great original soundtrack and effects.

Also, it's free! It's a standalone Doom mod you can just download unzip and run.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Here's the polar opposite: Sable.

A relaxing game that looks like it was drawn by Hergé. It's an open world adventure purely about exploring and climbing, with no combat. Sable goes out into the world to find their place, choose their path in life, and prepare for their coming of age ceremony. The game is also as buggy as hell unfortunately, but the beauty, atmosphere and superb OST make it worth it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Spatial posted:

Just played through Ashes 2063.

What if Stalker, Fallout and Doom had a baby? Well this is it and I didn't know I wanted it so bad. Post nuclear apocalypse Mad Max world with scary labs and bunkers like Stalker, with awesome Doom-like movement centric fighting punctuating the exploration. Humans and mutants. Towns with people to talk to and things to do. Kickass weapons and lots of fun references. Just dripping with atmosphere, all helped along with great original soundtrack and effects.

Also, it's free! It's a standalone Doom mod you can just download unzip and run.

this is great fun

the awful voice acting done by some guy speaking into a 2000s skype microphone is also quite charming

Pretty Little Angel
Jun 26, 2006
Chrono Cross. Say what you will about the game but the music and the visuals are very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbFoN0g4kqg

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah I hate that Rockstar painstakingly crafts these huge realistic worlds and then fills them with cringey poo poo. At least they don't do that in RDR.

Yeah.

I might be overthinking this, but I'm pretty sure that joke is about vending machines. If you know, you know. I mean, the number 69 was plastered everywhere in GTA:SA, to the point that I got tired of seeing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Banished Vault