Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Loved Pharaoh, for a 1998 game it looked glorious. The soundtrack was great too and stored as .mp3 files right on the CD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh hey I member that game.

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

I adore the style of the Banner Saga games. The gameplay is Oregon Trail crossed with Fire Emblem, the visuals are an old-school Disney movie with vikings and the music is sweeping, Norse-sounding, and simultaneously epic and bleak.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I adore the style of the Banner Saga games. The gameplay is Oregon Trail crossed with Fire Emblem, the visuals are an old-school Disney movie with vikings and the music is sweeping, Norse-sounding, and simultaneously epic and bleak.
Agree. It's art was inspired by Eyvind Earle.

The first GOTHIC game's setting was quite atmospheric. You were in a prison colony and had to make due. Some people were friendly, others were not, but over everything there was this looming thought that you couldn't get out of this place.

The second GOTHIC was cool for its nice lively city. That may have been the first time I experienced an open world in 3D that really seemed alive.

Have we mentioned SotN yet.

The first Gunship on the C64 was a fully functional attack helicopter sim on an 8-bit computer. It was quite intense.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Hollow Knight is beautiful man.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Illusion of Gaia had a really strange vibe, like something from a 90s Japanese UFO spirituality magazine, I really love it for that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yogizh posted:

Loved Pharaoh, for a 1998 game it looked glorious. The soundtrack was great too and stored as .mp3 files right on the CD.

The game looked good but the gameplay was kind of busted, that road layout in the shot would never work because of the way walkers spread services. Caesar 2 was better in that way.

Have you tried Children of the Nile? A really big improvement on Pharaoh.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Linux Pirate posted:

Some of these my be clouded by nostalgia but whatever.

Metal Slug and it's great animation/design.

No One Lives Forever: Playing a 60's spy killing henchmen with clever gadgets was lots of fun, also had great over-the-top supervillains.

Half Life and mods: I love half life blah blah blah, something about being trapped in a secret underground research base in the New Mexico desert while aliens pour in at random and the government tries to shut up all witnesses by killing them all just makes a great setting and feel. Just a fun fps to play through. Too many mods to go into that are still worth checking out. goldsrc is malleable and fun to play with, even 20 years on

Tribes 2: Space faring humans so disconnected from earth they split into tribes and participate in blood sport? Hell yeah brother!

Black and White: Being a god is fun and the look and feel of the game felt so right.

Quake: Gothic aesthetic and addicting game play is a winner plus a great soundtrack and fun grunting sounds by Trent Reznor

Mafia: Captured the feel of being a 20's-30's gangster in a great, fun way.

Starcraft: Prisoners on super carriers lost in space wake up off course and in a strange system, started fighting like humans do, and then stumble across two other crazy alien races. Again, Hell yeah brother.

Perfect Dark: Like No One Lives Forever but in the future, plus goldeneye

Morrowind: Playing Morrowind for the first time felt like I was unleashed in a huge, living, Tolkien-esque world I could do anything in. That feeling was amazing. Also has a Lowtax reference in it.

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter: You're an Indian in a lost land hunting poachers, dinosaurs, aliens, robots, ruled by some dude named the campaginer. Also you got some crazy alien weapons. Stupid, cool, fun.

Dark Forces/Jedi Knight and it's sequels: From Star Wars doom clone to one of the best Star Wars games. The Sith engine games have the best feel to me, but all the games are fun.

Tie Fighter/X-wing Alliance: I miss space sims, Star Wars or otherwise.

Star Wars Galaxies (I both hate and love it simultaneously): Horrible game that promised the moon and delivered bleak empty plains filled with copy paste enemies. Somehow it was still somewhat fun and made memories I still look upon fondly.

Shadows of the Empire: The game play doesn't hold up today but I was a master at this game in 1997. It was like a cheap Empire Strikes Back expansion pack, but a game instead of a movie.

Project Space Station for Apple II: Played this at local discount space camp. We were in teams of three and working like we were mission control, recording data in a binder and whatnot. It was super fun to an 10 year old me with a huge imagination. The tension was real, and I shed a tear for the lost astronauts.

Number Munchers for Apple II: Math frog with scary purple troggles/gorgatron .

Jet Set Radio + Future: That style and that soundtrack was unforgettable.

LoZ: Windwaker: The sense of freedom (at the time) on the open seas was incredible.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam: War is hell and charlie don't surf. Intense as hell and getting a good team to work together to win is a blast. I love flying as a UH-1 Huey pilot.

C&C: Red Alert(probably just the first one though): My first LAN game, again at local discount space camp in the afternoon when we'd just play computer games after we did all the sims for the day. Lots of tesla coils, shake it baby.

Streets of SimCity: "Just a splatter splatter splatter on the windshield of life"

SimCopter: Flying a helicopter doing a few various tasks back in the day to little me was a big deal. Dropping passengers to their death was fun too.

Vigilante 8: Probably doesn't hold up today but I liked the creative characters.

TF2: Great characters created from nothing, art style, and reinvention of the the same game that's been around for 23 years. I also liked the inclusion of a pseudo-story and overarching universe is great too. I haven't played it in over a decade but it still holds a place in my heart.

I grew up in the 90s too

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i like clamdigger

I can dig more clams than you, stupid!

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

Shibawanko posted:

Nope, I will look it up.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
OP already mentioned the Silent Hill series, but I'd like to single out Silent Hill 4 for having one of the most haunting aesthetics I have ever witnessed in a game. 15 years later this game still manages to get under my skin in a way no other can.

Also it is underrated and had a totally undeserved bad reputation. The gameplay has some hiccups and it is a departure from the previous games in the series, but despite this I would go so far as to call it one of the scariest games ever made.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i love the look of Master of Orion 2. the interface is so intuitive, and the graphics are prefect! just look at this beautiful game, no other space game has come close:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Statutory Ape posted:

I grew up in the 90s too

Remember Vectorman?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Anarchy online had good atmosphere

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Xaintrailles posted:

Wizard Master (2008): has a solid "reddit-style post dropped in gbs to troll the insufficiently ironic" aesthetic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rutibex posted:

i love the look of Master of Orion 2. the interface is so intuitive, and the graphics are prefect! just look at this beautiful game, no other space game has come close:

Reunion has that aesthetic, but done even better, it has amazing DOS pixel art

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I just played the remaster of Bioshock and it was pretty good.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I always really dug the way Valhalla: Cyberpunk Bartending Action looked and felt. The gameplay wasn't exactly great but the character interactions and pixel art ruled.

I also enjoy The Long Dark. It's another sorta survival crafting game but at the same time, it was always super relaxing to me to just wander the Canadian wilderness

More recently, I played Sekiro. If you want a game that just oozes atmosphere/ambience then Sekiro fuckin nails it from the crumbling village to the massive castle to the edges of nature.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FZ-12a3dTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arx Fatalis was not a pretty game even when it was brand new back in 2002. It had a very obviously low budget look and it lacked the fresh, alien aesthetic of something like Morrowind. Despite these shortcomings, it oozed atmosphere and was immersive as hell. The use of sound and detail made Arx feel like a living underground civilization. Arx Fatalis also went all the way in making the player feel like a part of the environment. You can look down and see your legs which was rare at the time and still isn't a genre standard today. The combat had a surprising feeling of weight to it which was a stark contrast to the nerfbat whiffing contest of Morrowind. If your weapon touched the enemy then you hit and depending on where the killing blow landed you might decapitate or even bisect your opponent. Even the crafting was immersive rather than the menu shopping list affair that we're used to today. Placing some meat by a campfire would cause it to sizzle and crackle until cooked in real time. Enchanting an item required that you actually cast a spell at the item. Spellcasting, by the way, was probably the coolest feature of the game. Each spell was composed of several runes, which you had to draw in the air with your mouse. It made casting in the heat of combat potentially risky and allowed the player to experiment to discover new spells.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 3, 2019

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Valko posted:

The Curse of Monkey Island was an absolutely beautiful game with great use of colour and wacky cartoonish graphics. It was made all the more better because it came out at a time when true 3D environments were in their infancy and still had blocky undetailed models (Quake).

I was going to say this. Too bad they moved away from it for Escape from Monkey Island. There was another pirate game I played on Xbox or ps2 that was pretty but otherwise crappy.
Also Fallout. I love the Nuka Cola stuff.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

The game looked good but the gameplay was kind of busted, that road layout in the shot would never work because of the way walkers spread services. Caesar 2 was better in that way.

That's a problem that all these walker based city-building games share which you can sort of mitigate but never eliminate. Still, Pharaoh is great and so are the other games in the same series like Zeus and Emperor. Really loved the economic system in Children of the Nile, wish more games had stuff like that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

Wizard Master (2008): has a solid "reddit-style post dropped in gbs to troll the insufficiently ironic" aesthetic.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Cubone posted:

Kentucky Route Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNYZPViYYUk

I don't think you can win this game. On the box, it says it's a tragedy.

Never heard of this, reminds me of an updated and artsy Flashback.

SwissDonkey posted:

Bloodborne aesthetics are so good. The entire game is so oppressive and hostile and the architecture in the first half is just nuts. It nails the atmosphere so well, and as you progress it becomes even more bugshit.

Agreed so hard. I do wish they had fleshed out the Isz chalice dungeons with more than just the cosmos effect in the air. It hinted that realities were starting to blur but was still just dungeon-ey.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

SwissDonkey posted:

Bloodborne aesthetics are so good. The entire game is so oppressive and hostile and the architecture in the first half is just nuts. It nails the atmosphere so well, and as you progress it becomes even more bugshit.

I feel like the original Dark Souls really fleshed out an interconnected world in the way that the sequels didn't, probably because the hub was literally connected to the different destinations in the first game.

Reading all of the flavor text w/r/t New Londo and the fate of its missing population was eerie enough, and then reaching a certain point where you just stumble into a dimly lit, still-wet room with hundreds of bodies stacked on top of each other - it was pretty evocative for me.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Basic bitch choices for me.

Secret of Mana 2/Trials of Mana had nice sprites, and great music.

Chrono Trigger was nearly perfect.

Zelda 2 was an odd one, but the world seemed more dangerous and had great music to set the tone.

Zelda 3 was also great, especially the Dark World. A Link Between Worlds was just as good of a game, but didn’t quite match the atmosphere. Link’s Awakening feels comfy, they did a great job considering it was a Game Boy game.

Metroid and Metroid 2 had a sense of isolation and being completely lost and on your own with the music to match. Metroid 3 was expertly designed but lost that feeling even though as a game it was best of them all. Metroid 4 went and threw that all out, even though it was a good game.

All the classic Castlvanias plus the GBA/DS ones were excellent for atmosphere. Especially 4, the CD version of X and SotN. And the one for the x6800k was a sleeper.

The new Bloodstained game, the unofficial Castlvania sequel gets close, but it’s missing a special something that the others had.

Quake 1 had whatever it was going for down perfectly, so good in every aspect. I don’t think that one is controversial.

Fallout 1 was the only cRPG or whatever you’d call the genre just because of the characters and setting.

Vagrant Story was definitely unique, but I’m certain it hasn’t aged well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

I feel like the original Dark Souls really fleshed out an interconnected world in the way that the sequels didn't, probably because the hub was literally connected to the different destinations in the first game.

Reading all of the flavor text w/r/t New Londo and the fate of its missing population was eerie enough, and then reaching a certain point where you just stumble into a dimly lit, still-wet room with hundreds of bodies stacked on top of each other - it was pretty evocative for me.

Otoh ds2 had so many gameplay quality of life improvements it's way more fun to olay

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Out Of This World, as one of the earliest to really establish such a strange, alien and unforgiving place to be in. The old school adventure games were pretty great at atmosphere and world building... Loom and Curse of Monkey Island were mentioned, I'd also add The Dig and Full Throttle to that list. Definately Grim Fandango too...

I still can't get enough of Skyrim. Morrowind had a more interesting and peculiar world, but Skyrim felt more accomplished.

The original Fallouts were pretty drat epic as well, though I preferred Bethesda's F3. Coming out of the vault for the first time was an experience, man.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Laslow posted:

Metroid and Metroid 2 had a sense of isolation and being completely lost and on your own with the music to match. Metroid 3 was expertly designed but lost that feeling even though as a game it was best of them all. Metroid 4 went and threw that all out, even though it was a good game.

I actually really liked the atmosphere of Metroid Prime. It definitely felt like you were trapped and alone on this weird planet. Then when you finally stumble onto the space pirate base, you get to read their data logs. There's amazing stuff on how they tried to reverse engineer Samus's suit tech like morph ball but it just mangled the test subjects.

Then when they realize she's there, you get a bunch of logs of the space pirates making GBS threads themselves and saying "gently caress gently caress that goddamn lunatic is here. We are so screwed, please pray for a swift death."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I played Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and the Chronicles campaign for it, like, a lot as a kid and later.

The preceding games were also decent but 3 had an absolutely beautiful atmosphere and music (especially town themes) and as far as I remember the Tarnum campaign had pretty decent writing. For a turn based strategy. To a dumb teenager.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Rockstar has really got the world building down to a science. It's too bad it's so dumb (yes, I get it, 69 as in the sex position, don't need to use it for every number in the game) because the attention to detail is staggering.

I'm not too excited for Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay but the game world seems to be set to raise the bar.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Bronze Fonz posted:

Rockstar has really got the world building down to a science. It's too bad it's so dumb (yes, I get it, 69 as in the sex position, don't need to use it for every number in the game) because the attention to detail is staggering.

I'm not too excited for Cyberpunk 2077's gameplay but the game world seems to be set to raise the bar.

IMHO it's devolved, because they keep passing up creativity and immersion, atmosphere, just to say the newest installment is X times bigger than the previous and still end up using old fashioned shortcuts to get there.

With the kind of technology we have, you'd think you'd be able to enter every building at this point, work a day at a fastfood and then decide to shoot it up mid shift. Instead it's just a massive flat, cartboard cutout, more stale than ever with a lot of the randomness toned down because that's their take on realism "balanced for multiplayer."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bronze Fonz posted:

The Insomniac Spider-Man game made me realize how empty and soulless I find GTA V, so if you haven't played it please do. It has the most character I've seen in a game city since Sleeping Dogs. Not a big shock from Insomniac, the Ratchet and Clank games also had great art design.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Skypie posted:

I actually really liked the atmosphere of Metroid Prime. It definitely felt like you were trapped and alone on this weird planet. Then when you finally stumble onto the space pirate base, you get to read their data logs. There's amazing stuff on how they tried to reverse engineer Samus's suit tech like morph ball but it just mangled the test subjects.

Then when they realize she's there, you get a bunch of logs of the space pirates making GBS threads themselves and saying "gently caress gently caress that goddamn lunatic is here. We are so screwed, please pray for a swift death."

All three Metroid Prime games are good and have great atmosphere. I'd love to see them remastered and with modern FPS controls. They kind of did this on the original Wii but used the Wiimote for look instead of a proper thumbstick which just gets tiring, though it was an improvement over the Gamecube controls.

I guess I really like games with an atmosphere that makes you feel isolated.

Oh poo poo, they ARE being remastered for the Switch! Sweet!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Insomniac Spider-Man game made me realize how empty and soulless I find GTA V, so if you haven't played it please do. It has the most character I've seen in a game city since Sleeping Dogs. Not a big shock from Insomniac, the Ratchet and Clank games also had great art design.

sleeping dogs owns and its a shame its not getting a sequel because the developers decided to expect insane final fantasy game sales that never happened as proof it underperformed

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Laslow posted:

I've never heard anyone say Super Metroid is less atmospheric than the original.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
afterlife let you design heaven and hell, that was pretty rad

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jose posted:

sleeping dogs owns and its a shame its not getting a sequel because the developers decided to expect insane final fantasy game sales that never happened as proof it underperformed
It doesn't need a sequel but I was happy to see Spider-Man borrow so much from it. That game's New York reminds me a lot of SD's Hong Kong.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

magikid posted:

I've never heard anyone say Super Metroid is less atmospheric than the original.
If I put into the context of how weird it was back in 198X compared to anything else at the time, it may make more sense. In 1994 it was more of a “known quantity” so to speak. But the zones in Super Metroid were more cohesive and had way better music, so that could easily put it over the top for most people, almost certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
System Shock 2, the Thief series, basically anything from Looking Glass.

"Speak.. of the Many... to us."