Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
The original Diablo. Like Diablo II was great and all, and really kicked it into overdrive, but these days I think I prefer the more restrained and atmospheric approach of the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Laslow posted:

Metroid and Metroid 2 had a sense of isolation and being completely lost and on your own with the music to match. Metroid 3 was expertly designed but lost that feeling even though as a game it was best of them all. Metroid 4 went and threw that all out, even though it was a good game.

I've never heard anyone say Super Metroid is less atmospheric than the original.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006

Aishlinn posted:

Nethack. Who needs graphics, the dungeon is in your mind. Same goes for some of my old school favorite MUDs that i used to play. the one i played for almost 10 years on and off, i pretty much had the entire game world of more than 500,000 rooms mapped out in my head. i can still navigate around most of it pretty well just from memory.

I've always wanted to ask someone who's played this stuff:

When people tell stories from Dwarf Fortress or Space Station 13 or whatever, how much of that is actually happening in the game as opposed to the imagination of the player? Especially with MUDs. Back in the old griefing thread in Games, someone talked about causing trouble and being chased by other players in a MUD and I've always wondered what the hell he was actually doing. Frantically typing directions?