Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm a madman. :suicide:

Let's get the obvious out of the way first.

What is Final Fantasy XIV?

An MMORPG with a heavy emphasis on story content.

Why?

Because I like the game, and the story is legitimately good.

How?

Screenshots, and videos for particularly important cutscenes. Mostly ones with voice acting or weird animations.

With all that out of the way, time for some backstory.

Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 came out in 2010. It was completely terrible. A trash fire. From what I understand, the gameplay was repetitive, the story was practically nonexistant, and it looked like a graphically uprezzed FFXI. It was the sort of game designed by the "old guard" at Square. The kind who made 11 infamous for being the sort of game that hates you for existing. The urban legend is that a random barrel in the background would have more polygons and vertices in its model than the whole rest of the scene. It was the kind of game where one person was hired to the team and never given any instructions but "make me a rock" so he made that rock for 3 straight years.

Is it true? It doesn't really matter. It's so widely reported that it's the Liberty Valance effect in action. For those of you too lazy to click the links, it's literally "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend." The horror stories you hear about FFXIV 1.0 are so effective because they're plausible.

Anyway, 1.0 shut down in 2012? I think? The game popped back up in 2014 with A Realm Reborn and has been running ever since. The turnaround between 1.0 and 2.0 was nothing short of a miracle. The higher ups at Square brought in a new director, Naoki Yoshida, who has been a miracle worker. There have been some stumbles along the way, but they've learned from their mistakes.

If you're interested in learning a whole lot more about the history of the Final Fantasy XIV that used to be, then please give the Noclip documentary a watch!

Will you be playing the other expansions?

This is a LP of A Realm Reborn. That alone is a massive enough undertaking. Let's just take this one baby step at a time.

I can't wait until you show off--

No spoilers. Ever. Period. Non negotiable. The FFXIV general discussion thread is right here. I don't want to sound like a dick about this, but the story is kind of the whole point of this game. Spoiling stuff is bad form. It's a slow burn, but once that boil gets going, it stays going and doesn't let up.

Are you gonna talk about lore?

This game has lore?

Blatant Shilling

This is a Ko-Fi link. It's just there as a tip jar in case you like my stuff and feel like you want to show your appreciation!

The Updates

The first 11 updates were done as the game was in July of 2019. A year later, Patch 5.3 introduced a trimmed down A Realm Reborn story. All updates past 11 were recorded after that rework.

Icon Explanations

- The update contains important cutscenes
- These are the "main story" of Ginger's adventure through Eorzea
- These are "bonus" updates, most often used to cover holiday events
- These updates feature important or cute sidequests that I like
// - Class icons like these mean that a class story is covered in the update. The bolded number means which class quests are covered
- Hall of the Novice content is covered in this update
- A dungeon run features in this update!
- A trial fight features in this update! These are big setpiece bosses!
- A raid is covered in this update. These are dungeons on a much wider scale.
- Beast Tribe story quests are covered in this update

The Adventurer's Guild

I - Answers
II - Hear, Feel, Think
III - The Quicksand
IV - The Moonfire Faire 2019 (Part 1)
V - The Moonfire Faire 2019 (Part 2)
VI - Close to Home
VII - Way of the Thaumaturge 1-5
VIII - Underneath the Sultantree
IX - The Threat of Intimacy 5-10
X - Way Down the Hole
XI - Last Letter to Lost Hope 10
XII - So You Want to be a Pugilist? 1-10
XIII - Oh Captain, My Captain 15
XIV - Duty, Honor, Country
XV - A Royal Reception
XVI - BONUS - The Rising 2020
XVII - Teach Me, Lord of the Dance!

Moving Up in the World

XVIII - The Ul'dahn Envoy
XIX - It's Probably Pirates
XX - Into a Copper Hell
XXI - The Scions of the Seventh Dawn
XXII - Return of the Holyfist 20-30
XXIII - A Wild Rose by Any Other Name
XXIV - Lord of the Inferno

Silly Little Sylphs

XXV - Way of the Lancer 1-15
XXVI - Questions and Lancers 20-30
XXVII - A Hero in the Making
XXVIII - Hello Halatali
XXIX - Sylph-management
XXX - Starlight Festival 2020 (Part 1)
XXXI - Starlight Festival 2020 (Part 2)
XXXII - Brother From Another Mother 30 30
XXXIII - Dance Dance Diplomacy
XXXIV - Druthers House Rules
XXXV - Into the Beast's Maw
XXXVI - Back from the Wood

Ascian Investigations

XXXVII - A Dainty Dilemma 1-5
XXXVIII - On to Little Ala Mhigo 35
XXXIX - Stray into the Shadows 10
XL - Big Trouble in Little Ala Mhigo
XLI - Stifled Screams 15
XLII - Dishonor Before Death
XLIII - Grinners in the Mist 20
XLIV - Sweet Sorrows 25
XLV - Skeletons in her Closet
XLVI - Market for Death 30

The Company of Heroes

XLVII - Wrath of the Titan
XLVIII - Brutal Strength 1-15
XLIX - Port Paradise (April Fool's 2021)
L - Bringing Down the Mountain 20-30
LI - Peasants by Day, Ninjas by Night 30 30
LII - The Things We Do for Cheese
LIII - Lord of Crags
LIV - The Monster of Bronze Lake

Final Flight of the Enterprise

LV - Way of the Conjurer 1-15
LVI - Like Mother, Like Daughter 20-30
LVII - Eyes On Me
LVIII - The Rose and the Unicorn
LIX - Unicorn Power 35-40 30
LX - The Final Flight of the Enterprise
LXI - By the Lights of Ishgard

Corrupted Crystals

LXII - Brotherhood of Ash 40 Amalj'aa 1
LXIII - Good Vibrations 45
LXIV - Into the Eye of the Storm
LXV - The Curious Case of Giggity
LXVI - Lady of the Vortex

Rescuing the Scions

LXVII - Footprints in the Snow
LXVIII - Getting Even with Garlemald
LXIX - Every Little Thing She Does is Magitek
LXX - Escape from Castrum Centri
LXXI - The Black Wolf's Ultimatum

Operation Archon

LXXII - Operation Archon
LXXIII - Rock the Castrum
LXXIV - The Ultimate Weapon
LXXV - The Seventh Astral Era (The Ending of A Realm Reborn)

A Realm Reborn (Patch 2.0 Postgame)

LXXVI - The Threat of Superiority 15 - 20
LXXVII - The Hidden Chapter 25 - 30
LXXVIII - Taking the Black 30-40
LXXIX - Always Bet on Black 45-50
LXXX - A Recurring Problem
LXXXI - Primal Awakening

A Realm Awoken (Patch 2.1)

LXXXII - Legacy of Allag
LXXXIII - Labyrinth of the Ancients
LXXXIV - Way of the Archer 1-15
LXXXV - The One That Got Away 20-30
LXXXVI - The Rise and Fall of Gentlemen
LXXXVII - The Immaculate Deception
LXXXVIII - The Price of Principles
LXXXIX - Hail to the King, Kupo
XC - Build on the Stone
XCI - It Could Happen to You
XCII - Embracing the Beast 35-50
XCIII - Martial Perfection Amalj'aa 2-4
XCIV - The Man in Black FF15 Part 1
XCV - Messenger of the Winds FF15 Part 2
XCVI - A Song of Bards and Bowmen 30-50
XCVII - Maniac Manor

Through the Maelstrom (Patch 2.2)

XCVIII - Still Waters
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV

Defenders of Eorzea (Patch 2.3)

CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX

Dreams of Ice (Patch 2.4)

CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV

Before the Fall Part 1 (Patch 2.5)

CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX

Before the Fall Part 2 (Patch 2.55)

CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX

Veotax's Prelude to Calamity

I - Know Your Enemy
II - Like Father, Like Son
III - In for Garuda Wakening
IV - Don't Hate the Messenger
V - United We Stand
VI - To Kill A Raven
VII - Living on a Prayer

YappingEevee's Guides

I - Out of the Blue Level 50 Overview
II - Way of the Carpenter 1-25
III - Between Captain and Conjurer 30-50
IV - Way of the Blacksmith 1-25
V - As Iron Sharpens Iron 30-50
VI - Way of the Armorer 1-25
VII - May the Best Armorer Win 30-50

Extras

Dramatis Personae - A listing of every major character Ginger has met in her travels. Typically if someone has a portrait, they're gonna appear here. There are unmarked spoilers for the LP in here, so read this last!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Fanart

YappingEevee went out and commissioned an actual artist to create a comic of what happens whenever Ginger comes across a new dungeon in-game.

Solitair comes up for an alternate ending to the Titan saga.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 16, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

And then for good measure...

I mentioned it in the OP, but all updates will be hosted on the test poster. So click the pretty fiery image above to watch the world end.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Catgirls rule

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Wow an entire update dedicated to half a cutscene this game sucks.

Anyway, always glad to have another thread to fill with my desires to return to 4.5 MCH.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

What in the world inspires people to throw themselves upon the altar of LPing this MMO? Is it really that good and worthwhile to run the treadmill again? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyways, good luck!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Roluth posted:

What in the world inspires people to throw themselves upon the altar of LPing this MMO? Is it really that good and worthwhile to run the treadmill again? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyways, good luck!

Self loathing, an abundance of free time, and a desire to see how the story looks with the benefit of hindsight. Although I didn’t realize when I posted the thread that there are two others already running.

The story is legitimately good though, and I wanted to share it with those who can’t stand the treadmill.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

There are never enough final fantasy 14 LPs. Because somehow, whenever I see multiple LPs of the same game, the people who read the threads end up being completely different.

Anyway, I like your deep-dive style with how much you're putting into this. The only thing I don't like is you calling doing something you wanna do "self-loathing" :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am interested in this so I can get your deep dive lore out of it. Teach me about Eorza!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It'll be interesting to see how your LP plays out. I can't imagine any two LPs of this game turning out too similar just with its sheer size. And right as I started a new character too, so there's some good timing.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
As a friend and fellow Eorzean, I wish this LP all the best... and look forward to indulging in plenty of nostalgia and/or schadenfreude.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm the kind of person that doesn't forget how to spell things or whether things have names and what they are.

So I'll be looking close when names of things start to become more relevant. Just in case.

Also interested to know what class you'll be starting with, but that'll come in due time, no?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

~~~~

~~~~

Like I said in the update, if you all don't want to see a potato lady, then just let me know. While I think Ginger would make a fine main character, I'd be happy to make a different character on either Ultros or Excalibur... or any other world on the Primal DC. The only stipulation is that it can't be a male character. I wasn't kidding when I said female character armor is better in almost every circumstance.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Well that due time came up real quick.

I actually split the difference when I made a Lalafell character - his name is perfectly lore-compliant yet also cutesy (Serano Habarano, both parts of which are just very slightly off from actual names of peppers).

Wrong data center, though, even if my sub was up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, another FF14 LP. Female potato is an odd choice, but okay.

Pity you're starting in Ul'dah like the other LP, though. The most important city-state to the game's story, and also the shittiest.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Like I said in the update, if you all don't want to see a potato lady, then just let me know. While I think Ginger would make a fine main character, I'd be happy to make a different character on either Ultros or Excalibur... or any other world on the Primal DC. The only stipulation is that it can't be a male character. I wasn't kidding when I said female character armor is better in almost every circumstance.

i'm down for continuing on with Ginger tbh

my personal favorite is xaela au ra (for reasons we won't be seeing in this lp for a very long time indeed) but lalafell are great also, and having the warrior of light be a lalafell makes lots of cutscenes very amusing

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I like your potato and didn't even realize we had access to "Roe hair" as I call it.

Also, it's good to see you picked Ul'dah, as in my opinion it has the best intro story.

SpruceZeus posted:

my personal favorite is xaela au ra (for reasons we won't be seeing in this lp for a very long time indeed) but lalafell are great also, and having the warrior of light be a lalafell makes lots of cutscenes very amusing

Almost wished we started as arcanist just for the double whammy of "Lalafell" and "threateningly pulling out a book" during cutscenes.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, let's say I pick this up. When should I buy the expansion? I've read that I don't necessarily have to until I'm finished with everything in the base game or I am level 50. Is this generally correct?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Roluth posted:

So, let's say I pick this up. When should I buy the expansion? I've read that I don't necessarily have to until I'm finished with everything in the base game or I am level 50. Is this generally correct?

Yes. You need the expansions if you want to play red mage or samurai right away (which require level 50) or progress above level 50. Dancer and gunbreaker are also available immediately upon hitting 60. Dark knight, astrologian, and mechanist also require the expansions, but are locked behind reaching a particular point in the main story rather than just levels.

You also need the expansions if you want to play an au ra, viera, or hrothgar.

Do note that the free trial lets you play as long as you want with a level cap of 35.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Roluth posted:

Free trial lasts forever and is capped at level 35. The only missing feature you will care about are the retainers who are basically extra inventory storage, but if you're careful about how much crafting stuff you buy you won't need to care about this.

Then, buy the starter game for 20$. This is A Realm Reborn (ARR) and lasts until level 50, and is a fuckton of content.

Then, buy Shadowsomething for 40$. This has all the expansion packs, three new races, and new classes that you won't care about until you're deeper into the game. As races are cosmetic and you get a free chance to remake your character, well...

I rec trial -> ARR -> Shadows spaced apart, because then you'll get the most bang for your buck, and give you a chance to back out of the game if you burn out or something. (Which is a real concern, ARR so far is hella long and a ton of content)

Alternatively, be me and buy everything at one because you got a surprise belated birthday gift and decided to blow it on ffxiv because hello I love this game.

PS do gridania first, it has a pleasing quest chain where they make you help out at the chocobo stables and it's really charming.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 5, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, Trial->ARR->Shadowbringers is probably the best way to go. Free trial until 35 means you have a real good chance to see how much you like the game. Even if the free trial does end in the middle of what is arguably the worst content in the pre-50 game. If you hold out on Shadowbringers for a couple months, you can get really good deals. I got the previous expansion, Stormblood, 6 months after release for $10 from an Amazon Black Friday sale.

Just watch out. If you buy the game on Steam, you have to buy everything on Steam. Steam codes don't work on Square's site and vice-versa. So if you pick it up, just keep an eye on what the code you're getting is for.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd highly recommend getting the non-Steam version so you don't have to deal with all that jazz.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I've been playing a lot of this recently and I'm excited for an in-depth look at lore. Are we voting on what race you're going to play as? Are you going to play as The Warrior of Light, trying to make yourself an identical copy of the human?

e: hadn't read the second update, potato girl is cool.

MatchaZed fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 5, 2019

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Nice to see an LP of FFXIV. This might also be kind of an insane undertaking.
I'm completely fine with a potato girl though. Lalafells are cool and cute.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd highly recommend getting the non-Steam version so you don't have to deal with all that jazz.

Yeah, I have the game on Steam, and I sometimes wish I didn't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's just a shame Ul'dah is so important to the story, because it is just the worst place.

Limsa Lyfe.

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019
Definitely keen for this, FFXIV has taken an unreasonable amount of my time in the past.

Ginger Pepper seems cool enough, I would be happy with that, but I would also love to see the Lalafell name scheme because it amuses the hell out of me.

I've been thinking of creating an alt to redo ARR, maybe a Viera or something, so if you want someone to run some dungeons with you, let me know.

Edit: Arcanist could be interesting to begin with, and at least Scholar seems to be roughly the same gameplay style as it was. Although, I would love to see what Summoner plays like at the moment as it seems like a beautiful disaster.

Deadmans Tea Party fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 6, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I started in Uldah too so I kinda wish an LP would do Gridania or Limsa so I can see the story behind those, but I guess I can just make a quick alt for those.

I vote for thaumaturge/BLM. Blowing poo poo up rules.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Your first 80 should be weaver.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The only thing you need to know about starting in Gridania is this.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
aaw yea, a fresh ffxiv LP. I can finally experience the game without actually, like, playing it, I'm grateful for this

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Well I just got done getting through my ARR content on one of my alts while eternally putting off gearing my main, may as well sit down and re-experience the story here. Good potato.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

I started in Uldah too so I kinda wish an LP would do Gridania or Limsa so I can see the story behind those, but I guess I can just make a quick alt for those.

I vote for thaumaturge/BLM. Blowing poo poo up rules.

I think the VLP thread that's around here somewhere started as Arcanist. I'm terrible at following those and I'm aware those aren't really everyone's cup of tea, of course...

but yeah alts are easy.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If you're starting in Ul'dah then a Lalafell thaumaturge is probably the most appropriate. I'm looking forward to seeing the THM content in LP form.

Also, I didn't realise there was a second LP thread still around here. The game deserves it and I'm looking forward to all the different takes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Today's update is a pretty long one. It's somewhere around 41,000 characters according to the "check message length" button. This puts it within spitting distance of the longest update I did for Pokemon Insurgence!

Also if you look carefully you can spot the exact point that I stopped transcribing by hand and started using one of the wikis to copy from.

Also also, last night there was a Live Letter From the Producer, and he had this to say at one point:

Yoshi-P posted:

Q41:
The level sync feature of the 5.0 sidequests were very helpful while leveling my other jobs. I hope they will be added for sidequests in 4.x and older.

A41:
I understand how you feel, but it would require recreating all the data, so it has a very high manpower cost associated with. The New Game+ that is currently in development also requires a lot of resources, so we’re currently allocating resources there. As a side note, we’re working on adjusting the A Realm Reborn main scenario to be more compact, and are aiming for patch 5.3.
:suicide:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aw, I was hoping you'd ask for names because I've always wanted to see an LP where the female protagonist is named Karen and she saves the world by speaking to the manager

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was just about to say. Should make the game easier to recommend to new players, though. ARR is....well....long.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

For those of you not aware: FFXIV releases .X patches roughly every 4-ish months.

5.1 will release around October or so.

This ARR revamp won't be hitting until a good ways into 2020.

:suicide: is the correct response.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: getting used to seeing the sprout icon, you can always turn off showing your character name. Showing it never struck me as a terribly useful feature since you presumably know it. Can also turn off names on random people if you want, personally I found it mostly useless and vaguely immersion-breaking to see that someone nearby named themselves Lacuna Catnipslip or whatever.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Kinda forgot how dark the Ul'dah start gets.

I would join for some content, but I'm unfortunately not on the same data center. Or even the same region. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cyflan posted:

Kinda forgot how dark the Ul'dah start gets.

As I said, Ul'dah is probably the worst of the three city-states, though its worst crimes are hidden in a comedy sidequest series.

But every city-state in Eorzea has serious problems. Ul'dah's flavor is being corrupt to the bone. At least in Limsa Lominsa, the city of bloodthirsty pirates, the admiral's secret police enforce the Code - the top of which is no dealing in slavery or human trafficking. And they enforce the Code with knives.