Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's about time you got to the main storyline of Final Fantasy XIV. All that "adventuring" and "primal slaying" is just a sidequest to Gentlemanly Inspecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

What I love about the Hildibrand quests is that they were a chance for the cutscene animators to stretch their legs and experiment. They got to figure out a lot of tricks doing these that let them do the serious scenes better. When I first stumbled upon them, I was loving blown away that this farcical quest chain had better animated cutscenes than the MSQ up to that point. Most of the ARR cutscenes feel like they used only canned animations, with little custom animation until the last third of the game, while Hildibrand has custom animations all over the place, cartoony sound effects synced up to the scene and Garrys Mod style ridiculous facial expressions.

It's crazy to think that this stuff helped lead to the much improved cutscenes later in the ARR patches and later expansions.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

:allears: Here we go.

DoubleNegative posted:

The gently caress's going on with the sky there? :staredog:

I've seriously never seen it do this before. It even persisted into the cutscene. :psyduck:
Heatwave weather. I think Southern Thanalan is the only zone that ever gets it - I've seen it a few times just from doing Amalj'aa stuff.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Veotax posted:

What I love about the Hildibrand quests is that they were a chance for the cutscene animators to stretch their legs and experiment. They got to figure out a lot of tricks doing these that let them do the serious scenes better. When I first stumbled upon them, I was loving blown away that this farcical quest chain had better animated cutscenes than the MSQ up to that point. Most of the ARR cutscenes feel like they used only canned animations, with little custom animation until the last third of the game, while Hildibrand has custom animations all over the place, cartoony sound effects synced up to the scene and Garrys Mod style ridiculous facial expressions.

It's crazy to think that this stuff helped lead to the much improved cutscenes later in the ARR patches and later expansions.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'm pretty sure some scenes that work so well in the later expansions wouldn't be as impactful if it hadn't been for all the experimenting they did with Hildi's stuff.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

LXXXVII - The Immaculate Deception

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 21, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Hildibrand theme music is so drat good.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh boy the crazy train's departing for insanity station.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Ah Hildy. You are indeed a buffon, but a gentleman to the core. In spite of his ego and easily distracted nature, he is genuinely one of the nicest and earnest do-gooder in all of the realm.
And now, onwards to a world outside of logic!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Prelude to Calamity III - In for Garuda Wakening

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Put a little more work into this one, loaded the sever back up to take some comparison screenshots. Going to try to keep doing that, for anything related to the update.

I've been talking my update titles from the quest titles, this is probably the most Koji one we're going to get.

This is also the first update that's only taken from one quest, the first two were cutscenes from two quests stitched together, this one I actually cut a quest off the end because I couldn't make it work with the narrative.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
"Episode 1" of Hildibrand is a great first impression. It's only going to get better from here. My friend Yoshi and I just introduced these to our friend Jacob, and it's been a blast.

Speaking of which: Veotax, are you going to look into Hildibrand's cutscenes from 1.0?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Might post some snippets. The Hildibrand quests are practically scattered throughout the sidequest section of the journal, will be difficult to figure out the right order. Although, Hildy is one of the few times that ARR has better cutscenes than 1.x, Hildy has some exaggerated facial expressions and cartoony sound effects from what I've seen, but nowhere near as outlandish as ARR gets.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
I went into the Hildibrand quests cold and didn't initially get where they were going. I had assumed that this was gonna be more dramatic, with Nashu being a Watson character who would grow to become a fine detective in her own right. The scenes in the graveyard fit well enough with the storyline I was assuming, but I started to get confused when things drifted toward comedy. By the time Hildibrand showed up I had realized my mistake and wasn't trying to force things into my preconceived notions anymore.

I do believe that my initial guess could have been a seed for a more serious storyline, but comedy is fine too.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

I really DO appreciate that even if Hildi's not all that bright, he's very earnest about wanting to help people.

Also, the look on his face when he realizes he's been challenged by a phantom thief is glorious.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hildibrand is the finest himbo in Eorzea.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LXXXVIII - The Price of Principles

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 24, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Y'shtola is 23 and had been 23 for the last five years.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm fairly sure the only other member of the Syndicate is Fyrgeiss, the chief foreman of Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern. We'll see him when I do my Miner updates, which are slated for 2.4.

DoubleNegative posted:

NEXT TIME: Boys and girls of every age
Wouldn't you like to see something strange?
Come with us and you will see
You Have Selected Regicide.
:allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:allears: Is this where this comes in? I'd forgotten entirely.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

quote:

It's going to get extremely old before too long. A crisis happens and everyone's all "oh Ginger save us!" and as soon as it's over it's "go sit in the corner and be quiet while we do Big People Things."

This, especially since we’re playing as a lalafell, is very heavily reminding me of a video series called Mad Because Small.

All of them beyond the first still have spoilers, mind, not that the Stormblood one that just dropped helped me understand what goes on in it at all

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LXXXIX - Hail to the King, Kupo

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 31, 2021

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

This trial can actually cause a wipe or two if there's a high volume of sprouts. The phase after the good King comes into play is an absolute mosh pit, and it's one of the few times in the game you want to focus down adds one at a time instead of just AoEing the lot. I believe the Pro Strat(TM) kill order is to kill the mages and BRD first (big AoEs and the BRD puts down an AoE that buffs moogles within it) while the off-tank takes the PLD and WAR off to a corner, since they're the only adds that respect aggro and have big non-telegraphed point blank AoEs. I like to throw on markers during the introduction of each moogle to direct clueless sprouts during the second phase.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Roluth posted:

This trial can actually cause a wipe or two if there's a high volume of sprouts. The phase after the good King comes into play is an absolute mosh pit, and it's one of the few times in the game you want to focus down adds one at a time instead of just AoEing the lot. I believe the Pro Strat(TM) kill order is to kill the mages and BRD first (big AoEs and the BRD puts down an AoE that buffs moogles within it) while the off-tank takes the PLD and WAR off to a corner, since they're the only adds that respect aggro and have big non-telegraphed point blank AoEs. I like to throw on markers during the introduction of each moogle to direct clueless sprouts during the second phase.
This is mostly correct, yes. The rogue also drops a poison puddle if the fight takes too long, and the archer will smack someone four times in a row for a fairly dangerous amount.

The real hazard in Thornmarch though is if the second phase goes on too long, Kupta Kapa (the MRD) will create a big blue-green circle under himself. Even if he's tanked up against the wall, this will still cover 70% of the arena, and a lot of people seem to miss the tell.

That's very, very bad. Because it's the tell for Moggle-Go-Round. It is your cue to RUN.

Because Moggle-Go-Round will seriously dent tanks, nearly kill full-i130 melee DPS, and outright kill anyone else. Just a loud Kupo, a spinny sound effect and suddenly 5/8 party members are dead and at least one tank is at like 20% health.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Prelude to Calamity IV - Don't Hate the Messenger

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

:suspense: Well now I gotta know more. Even if we already know how it ends, that's a hell of a cliffhanger regardless!

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
It may just be due to running the Presidium so much, but I kinda was frustrated with how ignorant the Scions came off regarding Primals. Like, Fascist Man literally spells it out for you. That isn't even touching how Yda didn't seem to know why a Primal being summoned was bad.

Sure, trusting the Grahf cosplayer probably would be a bad idea, but it would be a strange thing for him to lie about.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The next update is going to be on the shorter side, it's just one medium-length cutscene. I thought about tagging it onto the end of this one, but it didn't really fit and the update after the next one is going to be long, I might even need to split it up, so it wouldn't work there. The video for the next update is like 4m 22s, the one after is a little over twenty minutes. This update was about eight minutes, for reference.

I'm away next weekend anyway, so I wouldn't have much time to work on it. Might knock it out during the week and post early.

Just for the hell of it, to give you an idea of what I'm working with, here's the raw footage from this update:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH5eSvrSkB8

All I have is the inn book that lets you re-watch cutscenes. I recorded all of this a little over a month ago, started off scrolling through the journal entry so I could get an idea of what happens outside of the cutscenes, then I play each cutscene. As mentioned earlier, there seems to be no voice acting for anything in the patch quests, only the stuff from the original 1.0 release.
I start off writing an outline based off the journal, then I transcribe the cutscenes (with some tweaks to the dialogue when necessary, my character in the game is actually called Cat Girl so I need to correct that. Also gendered dialogue is broken? Everyone calls her a man), then turn the outline into a narrative, adding or removing stuff from the journal to tie things together. For example, this quest had you going around and talking to the alliance leaders to try to get them to pledge to work together against the empire but they waffle on about how stretched their armies are just trying to secure their own borders. This was all before the first cutscene, didn't really add much to the narrative and I have nothing to take pictures of, so I dropped it.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 26, 2021

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Bonus Guide IV: Way of the Blacksmith

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Since BSM and ARM are right next to each other, I tended to work 'em together when I could. Seeing how they share a bunch of mats, it's not even a terrible idea! Some of the mats you cannot find from one of the quartermasters you can find on the other.

Good lord, I couldn't read through the guildmaster's dialogue.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember working all of the crafting and gathering classes as evenly as I could. Once I gained access to all three cities I was ecstatic to fill my armory chest and collect job crystals.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Prelude to Calamity V - United We Stand

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

A couple years ago when I was randomly looking up XIV stuff on youtube, this cutscene with Nael was one of the things that popped up! I remember that room so well and watching him blow the transmitter up.

EDIT: Apologies for no actual updates this past week. I've been in a severe amount of pain since Saturday and only today has it finally lessened at all.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 29, 2021

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
One thing I would recommend to those who are interested in FF14 1.0 is Speakers Network. Their playlists for Remnants of a Realm (things that did/did not carry over to 2.0), Secrets of a Realm (dungeons that were coded into 1.0 but never used), and Fall and Rise of Final Fantasy XIV (1.0 and it's transition from a player prospective). There's also Chronicles of a Realm, which was going to be the city states story lines, but after Limsa was finished, it hasn't been updated in a while.

I think there might be some minor spoilers for Heavensward locations, but that's all I can think of.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

XC - Build on the Stone

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Nov 4, 2021

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

....All I heard was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74ZXp_5M_7c just now. And THAT'S a rabbit hole I fell far too deeply into. Like... I have That Mount fell too deeply.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Oh villains, if you want to convince the heroes of the rightness of your mission, why don't you just sit down and explain it to them instead of being of being cryptic as gently caress.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh villains, if you want to convince the heroes of the rightness of your mission, why don't you just sit down and explain it to them instead of being of being cryptic as gently caress.

:allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Bonus Guide V: As Iron Sharpens Iron

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Prelude to Calamity VI - To Kill a Raven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

... well, now I realize... that the spear that Hildi used in 1.0 of Nael's very own.

Which certainly explains a whole lot.