Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I was just about to say. Should make the game easier to recommend to new players, though. ARR is....well....long.

While it's quite possible they've changed it since I went through it (early in the first expansion), the other problem ARR had is that there's sections late in the game where quest XP kind of dries up and they suddenly want you ~2 levels higher to continue the story, forcing you to grind something for those levels. This happens a couple of times, if I'm remembering right. Outside of that I didn't really mind ARR's giant blocks of content that much, though there were definitely points where the cutscenes got thicker than most people would like.

Also, we haven't heard much of it yet, but the music in this game is overall very, very good, though I feel like a lot of the really good stuff isn't till later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ayndin posted:

While it's quite possible they've changed it since I went through it (early in the first expansion), the other problem ARR had is that there's sections late in the game where quest XP kind of dries up and they suddenly want you ~2 levels higher to continue the story, forcing you to grind something for those levels. This happens a couple of times, if I'm remembering right. Outside of that I didn't really mind ARR's giant blocks of content that much, though there were definitely points where the cutscenes got thicker than most people would like.

Also, we haven't heard much of it yet, but the music in this game is overall very, very good, though I feel like a lot of the really good stuff isn't till later on.

the entire banquet questline can go gently caress itself forever, so if they can trim or cut that, I'd be happy

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Cyflan posted:

Kinda forgot how dark the Ul'dah start gets.

I mean, are talking about a game in which the basic unit of distance measurement is canonically the length of a specific smuggler's severed thumb.

Apropos of nothing, Limsa is kinda metal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Additionally, I'm sad that I'm on Crystal so I can't be part of the LP.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I promise that I won't photobomb this LP too much. Only sometimes.

And yeah, ARR could use a trim and some tweaking in places, so consider this LP to be preserving its current incarnation for prosperity.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I usually hang out on Aether, but I do have a NIN/SCH alt on Excalibur who's somewhere in 2.x. Should be enough to hang out with Pepper for a while. :v:

Good luck! And kudos for taking this up, this is a big project.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
For the next update, there's a little choice to be had! We could continue with business as usual and explore the second half of Ul'dah. But, there's currently a limited time event going on. One that Ginger, thanks to being limited to LP progress, won't be able to participate in before it finishes. An event where I've already recorded all the relevant bits of content on my main character.

So would you all rather continue the Ul'dah stuff, or would you guys prefer a Sudden Beach Episode?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tilted Tower!

Tilted Tower!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, climb that tower!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Beach episode!!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Rock the faire!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Conquer that tower!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sudden Beach Episode!!!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Still writing the update, which will take a bit. But here's something interesting for you all to consider:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6c8ae6a53b24432f8c1881598459b1440d5f0941

If you have a lapsed subscription to the game, you can play for free for up to 6 days! You have a week to claim the free time, however. So if the three (soon to be four) updates has convinced you that you might want to play along, now's the perfect excuse!

And if you don't have a subscription, don't forget that the base game is free to play until level 35!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

Today is the first part of a two-part look at the Moonfire Faire! This update covers the story stuff associated with it, while Sunday's will cover a quick crash course in crafting and gathering. Also meet my main character.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Not sure why you have the job change button bars so big on the left side, but other than that your UI isn't that messy.
Less messy than mine, honestly.

FFXIV has pretty cool seasonal events, though!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Didn't make it to the top of the tower, 0/10

( :v: I couldn't make it up there either, and I cannot imagine how hard it would be with the lag of an actually populated server)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, for the thread's information, the orange lines on the floor mark a border within which you gain the debuff Hoofin' It, which prevents you from using your mounts, as a direct response to people using very large mounts to block others' view of the platforms last year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, for the thread's information, the orange lines on the floor mark a border within which you gain the debuff Hoofin' It, which prevents you from using your mounts, as a direct response to people using very large mounts to block others' view of the platforms last year.

I wasn't there last year but oh my god that would have been so obnoxious. There's a certain limited edition car mount from the FFXV crossover event that I keep running into that likes to devour NPCs, and I cannot imagine how difficult platforming would've been with that thing about.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

As a card-carrying member of the Giraffe Brigade I would like to request a fantasia to Elezen.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update!)

This only gives a surface level examination of crafting and gathering. There are some people who do both to the exclusion of all else.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Fish that only appear during quests actually doesn't show up in your fishing log at all, so catching any in a previous Faire wouldn't have helped at all. Also, for some reason they don't count towards the normal fish pool, so if you somehow stop everything else appearing the game will tell you that there are no fish and it'll stop you fishing. It's kind of annoying.

Also the Botanist icon is a sheaf of wheat, not a feather.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 12, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fisher is one of my favourite jobs. I'm currently working on amassing a bunch of big fish. Fun! :v:

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
One of the neat touches that the game does with seasonal events is if the character you are playing participated in the event the previous year, the NPCs will comment on it. For example, Haermaga comments on his expectation that your character would show up to the event at some point. Fhul and Majha were also first introduced in last year's event, so they also mention their meeting with you in the previous event.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

In what is surely a great sign, it's 6 updates in and we have yet to actually get to the "killing stuff" part of this LP of an MMORPG.

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.

"Momodi" posted:

How was your tour of the city, Forename? Get lost, did you? Aye, well, Ul'dah's a big place with lots to see and do-but wanderin' around aimlessly don't pay the bills. If you're serious about makin' a livin' here, you'll need to remember where things are. So when you go explorin', explore like you've got a purpose, eh?

Looks like the text dump has fillers for character names. Unless Ginger had her name officially changed to Forename.
Thankfully, this should only be a problem for major quests, as most minor quests will refer to your character in neutral terms or titles.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

InwardChaos posted:

Looks like the text dump has fillers for character names. Unless Ginger had her name officially changed to Forename.
Thankfully, this should only be a problem for major quests, as most minor quests will refer to your character in neutral terms or titles.

I fixed this, and some degree symbols that tried to sneak back in after I edited them out a few times! The Forename thing will probably unfortunately pop up again. And referring to Ginger as he/his/him/etc. The wiki lists male pronouns on all the transcripts!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

DoubleNegative posted:

I fixed this, and some degree symbols that tried to sneak back in after I edited them out a few times! The Forename thing will probably unfortunately pop up again. And referring to Ginger as he/his/him/etc. The wiki lists male pronouns on all the transcripts!

It's 2019, we're not supposed to judge anymore.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

(Click for update)

Now that the preamble stuff is out of the way, the LP should start moving pretty quickly through the story quests I hope.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

DoubleNegative posted:

He doesn't mind us conducting trials so close to his shop, so long as he's properly compensated. ...Yes, Ginger, we pay him in sorcery-blasted bird flesh.

An update full of tedious MMO things, and then suddenly a line like that... maybe there is more here than I thought. That cactaur blood quest is also pretty good; suitable for the "wretched hive of scum and villainy" setting, and a nod to the classics.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
FFXIV is (generally, there's a noticeable lag in some places) good about making even the fetch quests interesting.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Popping in to say that I'm very much enjoying the LP so far! I think that cutting out the busywork sidequests completely in the near future (unless there's something noteworthy about them) is a good idea. If nothing else, CrashScreen's LP has demonstrated that even the main quest sequence has no problems spinning its wheels with idiotic irrelevancies at times; there's no need to add to that with side content of similar (un)importance. (Plus, if your aim is to show off the Good Story Stuff that FF14's plot-centric approach to the MMO allows, there's no sense in expending too much effort on stuff that isn't that.) I think they make sense here, though (from a Ginger's-narrative-arc perspective) - she's some rando who just wandered into Ul'dah; it makes sense that she starts from the bottom, as jobs go.

With respect to specific bits, I especially appreciated the head of the thaumaturge's guild's attempts to give the whole business the appropriately 'whoo spooky magic' air, even when the lessons did amount to 'do not stand next to angry folk with pointy things while casting; it won't work out for you'. It's admittedly sound advice, but the way the game's delivering it lends it a very funny tone. In general this update did a lot to ameliorate the whole impression of Ul'dah formed by much of the update before it - namely, 'this is a terrible place filled with terrible people.' (Although, admittedly, it was mostly achived by... helping people outside of Ul'dah proper. Hmm.) If nothing else, it's a good illustration of how 'wretched hives of scum and villainy' make for good adventure-story copy when the heroes are just passing through, but wear thin with remarkable speed if the story makes its base of operations there.

I do wonder how much of that is due to my viewpoint from outside the story, rather than being the one at the controls - but I suspect somebody who's actually played the game would have to answer that.

vdate fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 20, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

vdate posted:

Popping in to say that I'm very much enjoying the LP so far! I think that cutting out the busywork sidequests completely in the near future (unless there's something noteworthy about them) is a good idea. If nothing else, CrashScreen's LP has demonstrated that even the main quest sequence has no problems spinning its wheels with idiotic irrelevancies at times; there's no need to add to that with side content of similar (un)importance. (Plus, if your aim is to show off the Good Story Stuff that FF14's plot-centric approach to the MMO allows, there's no sense in expending too much effort on stuff that isn't that.) I think they make sense here, though (from a Ginger's-narrative-arc perspective) - she's some rando who just wandered into Ul'dah; it makes sense that she starts from the bottom, as jobs go.

With respect to specific bits, I especially appreciated the head of the thaumaturge's guild's attempts to give the whole business the appropriately 'whoo spooky magic' air, even when the lessons did amount to 'do not stand next to angry folk with pointy things while casting; it won't work out for you'. It's admittedly sound advice, but the way the game's delivering it lends it a very funny tone. In general this update did a lot to ameliorate the whole impression of Ul'dah formed by much of the update before it - namely, 'this is a terrible place filled with terrible people.' (Although, admittedly, it was mostly achived by... helping people outside of Ul'dah proper. Hmm.) If nothing else, it's a good illustration of how 'wretched hives of scum and villainy' make for good adventure-story copy when the heroes are just passing through, but wear thin with remarkable speed if the story makes its base of operations there.

I do wonder how much of that is due to my viewpoint from outside the story, rather than being the one at the controls - but I suspect somebody who's actually played the game would have to answer that.

Ul'dah has the benefit of feeling like an author's favoured city, there's a lot, and I do mean a LOT of events relating to the development of the city. In comparison, Gridania and Limsa Lominsa feel... like they haven't changed at all.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, the reason this LP (and probably the others) chose Ul'dah as the starting city is because it's pretty much the most important city in the game. Anyway, today's gonna be a recording day. So I want to share my thoughts with regards to future sidequests.

Pretty much every zone in the game has one sidequest chain that's longer than the others and features a complete story. You know those quest "plates" I've been posting?

Some of them, like the one I posted here, have pictures on the plate. These pictures typically mean that the quest is part of a larger arc. My thought is that when I show off any sidequests in the future, it'll only be important ones or ones that are part of a larger story. Some of the quests down in the Silver Bazaar are one such example.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
That seems like a good approach to take!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
That's a good idea. It will be an especially good idea to get used to it now for reasons that will happen much much later. Plus, they're usually good stories or at least fill in some lore about a place or faction.

As a side note, I literally did not know about the picture thing until very recently.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Since this means you'll do all of the moogle letter delivery quests, I'm in favor of this!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Assuming this LP lasts long enough, are you covering beast tribes?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Assuming this LP lasts long enough, are you covering beast tribes?

While I would like to, I don't feel confident in being able to show them off. Each tribe requires many, many weeks of daily quests, and that's a lot of time investment for a payoff that amounts to "...huh, well that's a neat story."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm sure either DN or someone in the thread can offer summaries of beast tribe content when we get there; the important cutscenes can always be re-viewed and recorded by other means.